Help understanding Pennzoil Ultra Platinum oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by holder
Does the highest quality base oils have issues with fall out?

Are you asking if PAO and POE based lubes experience it? PAO is even less inclined toward solubility than Group III, so if that was the issue, I'd expect it to be worse. Anecdotally, I've never witnessed it on any of the Mobil 1 I've purchased and I just checked a mostly empty litre of Ravenol and the bottom is clean
21.gif

I've never seen "fall out" in any of the oils I've personally used.

I've used : Havoline, Kendall, Amsoil, Mobil 1,Royal Purple, Torco,and currently Schaeffers

The real question is there a difference between this oil and regular group 3 stuff, it appears that it is fairly easy to get a group 3 rating, but not as easy to get a group 4 rating. If you look at how low the group 3 bar is, it is likely possible many group 2's can actually "qualify" for group 3. But, obviously group 3 sellers have to sell their stuff for premium dollars, so it behoves them to have "synthetic" oils separate from conventional. But 120 viscosity index and low sulfur is almost all that is needed to be synthetic group 3. So technically gas to liquid might be group 3, but there may be more to that story.

None of which has to to do with solubility. And the group designations aren't "hard" nor "easy", that's not the way it works.

It seems to me like you joined the board to make some point, am I right? Have you made it yet?

Let's make this easier, what brands use "the highest quality base oils"?

Originally Posted by kschachn

Let's make this easier, what brands use "the highest quality base oils"?

I mean purest, as in least contaminants. But I dont need the info this bad.

If it looks like dirt, walks like dirt, smells like dirt, and talks like dirt, it is actually additives that fall out of suspension. I'm just wondering if certain base oils allow contaminants to fall out of suspension more then group 3 oils?

Ok which respawn are you?

op,
Nothing new. I observed this with PP and I still use it. Refer to my thread below:

brown streak in oil

I saw brown streaks like a vane or hair when I let the oil drip from the dipstick after the car had cooled down. This was 2500 miles after oil change.

I have probably gone through about 10 gallons of PUP 5w30, and have seen this frequently. The older it is, or the longer it has been on the shelf, the more pronounced it seems. I have not seen one of my samples as dark as yours. I called the help line for Pennzoil and asked the same question. The answer I got was " Let me take your number and email, and somebody will get back with you. But the short answer is that it is additive fallout that is harmless, and should be shaken so it gets poured into the engine." If you rub some between your fingers you cannot feel anything abnormal, at least in my case.

Along with PUP, I have seen it in M1 and Amsoil. I have a few quarts of marine gear lube and it is probably the most pronounced in that product after sitting for a few years.

I've seen this with other oil brands too. PUP definitely has more sediment at the bottom than others, with the other brands it's easily shaken back into suspension. I've had no luck shaking the sediment in PUP back into suspension.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
op,
Nothing new. I observed this with PP and I still use it. Refer to my thread below:

brown streak in oil

I saw brown streaks like a vane or hair when I let the oil drip from the dipstick after the car had cooled down. This was 2500 miles after oil change.

Stop saying "brown streaks", it gives me the shivers! ...‚

Originally Posted by buddylpal
I've seen this with other oil brands too. PUP definitely has more sediment at the bottom than others, with the other brands it's easily shaken back into suspension. I've had no luck shaking the sediment in PUP back into suspension.

Nor would you at room temperature.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by OilUzer
op,

brown streak in oil

Stop saying "brown streaks", it gives me the shivers! ...‚

lol

First time ever I noticed the color diff. I usually raise the dipstick over my head and away from the engine to have some light in the background and I let the oil slowly drip on a paper towel. I can see the color as it's dripping and love to go by color and I know experts say color means nothing ... anyway that's when I noticed the dark band like a hair in the oil.
Notice I said "dark band" instead of "brown streaks"
grin2.gif

I have found this 'residue' on the bottom of the containers of many brands. Sometimes it's dark like this Pennzoil...sometimes its lighter and gooey (SM rated Havoline in the black container had a layer of white goo on the bottom after sitting in my stash awhile). Shaking does virtually nothing to re-mix this (what I believe is additive dropout). What I do is cut each empty container and add some oil and stir it back into suspension before adding it to the engine. I've never had a bad UOA using this method. This additive fallout is the main reason that I don't like black containers.

Originally Posted by pbm
I have found this 'residue' on the bottom of the containers of many brands. Sometimes it's dark like this Pennzoil...sometimes its lighter and gooey (SM rated Havoline in the black container had a layer of white goo on the bottom after sitting in my stash awhile). Shaking does virtually nothing to re-mix this (what I believe is additive dropout). What I do is cut each empty container and add some oil and stir it back into suspension before adding it to the engine. I've never had a bad UOA using this method. This additive fallout is the main reason that I don't like black containers.

Whatever it is, it won't mix or it will regroup again! I had over 2500 miles. The engine was cold when I checked the oil. Maybe when the engine is warm it will mix. I need to try it when the engine is warm/hot but not worried about it. Car sounds very smooth with PP. I may try Euro L PP next time if it's not for diesel engines. Saw some recently at local walmart.

I have had very good luck mixing the brown goo on the bottom of PUP. I find its best to empty the gallon bottle down to about 16 ounces, then shake the snot out of it. It completely blends back in.

The brown goo and snot is the #1 reached-for oil brand name in the USA.
Additives that hang-out, are better than brands that haven't enough to exceed. Clean bottoms are for the meeter-lovers.

Walmart's here ran a clearance of PP Euro and I have run out of that. They only sell PP vanilla.

Just got the last five quarts PP Euro they had at AZ clearance …
It's 0w40 and I'll use in the Cruze … now at 128k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back