Heavy duty/ high power block heater for gm v8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for a heavier duty/ more power block heater for my 2003 hummer h2, it has a 6.0l v8. I believe the current dealership installed block heater is a 400w? so I wanna get something bigger and maybe with more heating capability. It gets to -40 celcius and I would love the extra heat inside the cabin.

What do you guys recommend? And do all block heaters fit universally?

thx

apollo18 said:
Looking for a heavier duty/ more power block heater for my 2003 hummer h2, it has a 6.0l v8. I believe the current dealership installed block heater is a 400w? so I wanna get something bigger and maybe with more heating capability. It gets to -40 celcius and I would love the extra heat inside the cabin.
What do you guys recommend? And do all block heaters fit universally?
thx /quote]

Frankly I'd forget the block heater and install an inline coolant heater, they do cost more, but are way more efficient!
And you never have to worry about rust.
grin.gif

You have a V8 and can put a block heater on each side.

I would cardboard over most of the radiator in the winter.. this returns warmer water to the engine and also heats the transmission fluid too. Make sure the thermostat is good, get a good one, not the bargain china stuff if possible.

Most people use the heater on too high a fan speed this delays engine warm up. If you can warm up with the heater off or on the lowest fan speed. Then use no more fan speed than needed for comfort. You are better off with medium amount of HOT air than a lot of warm air.

Note that block heaters can set a trouble code. because of a disagreement between block and air temp at start up, the diagnostics think a sensor is broken.

Rod

thanks for the reply guys! i also want to find something that allows me to remote start and leave the heater plugged in until i come out to unplug it before i leave. thats why i think a block heater would be the best bet because i dont want to ruin a inline heater when i remote start

Have a look at Amazon.ca. Only problem is they don't seem to post the wattage. Your GM dealer might be a good source. I had one put in by the dealer. They definitely needed a hoist to get to the freeze plug. The mechanic was not ready for the avalanche of coolant. There is still coolant in the block even if you drain it at the lower rad hose. Mine is also a 6.0.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I had a frost plug type of block heater in a GM 305 many years ago. I'm sure it was 600 or 660 watts. Worked very well. You could install two of them totalling 1300 watts. That's a lot of juice!

Keep in mind most block heaters are thermostaticaly controlled and only allow for a 60 to 70 degree temperature degree rise. The usual warm up to max output is 2 to 3 hours. Two block heaters will still cutoff at max output, but will bet at max heat twice as fast. Europe has a system that will use a block heater, trickle charger and cabin heater that is programmable to turn on at a particular time, but I have not seen them imported. They are also 220v.

Also most block heaters are safe with remote start, as they turn off at a specific temperature rise to prevent the heaters from melting the insulation. I have them in all my vehicles and only use them below 20 degrees farenheit and use remote start with no problem.

OP on the 6.0 ls motor there is really only one place for a block heater. Wattage choice is limited because the element is so short. If I were you I'd get a 1000 watt zerostart circulating heater. It goes in one of the heater hose's and 1000 Watts will have the block and heater core nice and warm after 2 hrs run time. I have mine on a timer and start it 3 hours before I head to work in the am.

Originally Posted by Pelican
Frankly I'd forget the block heater and install an inline coolant heater, they do cost more, but are way more efficient!
And you never have to worry about rust.
grin.gif

+1, a tank-type circulating heater is what you need, like this one...
https://www.amazon.com/Zerostart-2204037-Circulation-Diameter-Approved/dp/B002UNGL44/
Most of these devices do not have a pump, the coolant circulation is accomplished by convection (hot water rises). Notice that it must be installed vertically. It will not have any affect or negative ramifications for your remote start because the coolant flows right through it. This heater will warm up all of the coolant in the engine (both banks) and heating system (but not the radiator because the coolant doesn't get hot enough to open the engine's thermostat). When I used to use them I found that they didn't need to be left ON all night, so I put them on a timer. This will get you the immediate heat you are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back