Voided warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi
A most relevant thread for all the Maxlife fanboys out there. OP saved $10 to $20 over using factory fluid and now faces a potential $2,000-$3,000 repair if the warranty doesn't cover it.

But you also post this warning numerous times for people recommending for out of warranty cars.

You are searching for a situation where your advice actually may apply; I will continue to use Maxlife in my friend's Tunda; in fact it has logged more miles on Maxlife than the OEM specified fluid.

A most relevant thread for all the Maxlife fanboys out there. OP saved $10 to $20 over using factory fluid and now faces a potential $2,000-$3,000 repair if the warranty doesn't cover it.

Seems like the OP is a victim of fear mongering. Like your post. The dreaded "voided warranty" for so and so is a favorite topic around here. Heck, listening at some of the post here will have you believing the stealership does a used oil analysis when you come in to get new tires. Just looking to void that warranty because the $10,000 analysis determined you used Wexos V3R8BS66 oil instead of the Wexos V3R8.1BS66 with 3 ppm more moly the 4th printing of the owner's manual called for.

Of course no one ever posts the events actually happening.

Last edited:
I had issues after one D&F of Maxx life on my previous '08 Honda Civic LX. After several D&F with DW-1, the shifting issues were resolved. I know many people like Maxlife and consider it the standard for ATF replacement for many makes, I won't ever make that mistake again. When it comes to ATF, CVT fluid and coolant, I plan to stick with OE.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by hatt
Take car to Ford. Explain what it's doing. Shut up. The fluid didn't break the transmission.

This.

+1, Post of the day is a tie, and goes to hatt and aquariuscm. Maxlife had nothing to do with OP's issues; trying to blame fluid at this point is like trying to ban spoons because they make people fat.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by hatt
Take car to Ford. Explain what it's doing. Shut up. The fluid didn't break the transmission.

This.

+1, Post of the day is a tie, and goes to hatt and aquariuscm. Maxlife had nothing to do with OP's issues; trying to blame fluid at this point is like trying to ban spoons because they make people fat.

You have any proof to back that up? Not saying Maxlife CAUSED OPs issues, but saving $10 to $20 didn't help.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by simple_gifts
I have never smelled Mercon LV, but a few drops of Maxlife will tell the tech "not Mercon" I see that as the only complication. Perhaps people familiar with mercon lv can chime in.

Best of luck to the OP; i don't think there are going to be any issues, especially if that model is prone to failures

That would apply to fresh fluid out of a bottle. Used ATF smell is different than fresh, I doubt they'd be able to tell Maxlife from the OE recommended fluid, especially by smell.

The smell of a fluid is not a valid piece of data to prove anything about an ATF. Did you ever smell clutch plates and disks before they put them in a transmission?

This.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

This.

Is two examples of practical logic failure. There really isn't more needed to be stated.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by AC1DD

This.

Is two examples of practical logic failure. There really isn't more needed to be stated.

Yet you chose to?

Everything in this forum is someone else's opinion, based on viewpoint of whoever is posting, including me.

If you're fortunate the Ford dealer will just give you another transmission with no questions asked, and good luck to you, that would be your lucky day. Let us know how you make out. It is not a new car warranty being discussed it is a limited warranty. People who are relying on Magnusson Moss act should remember this is a limited warranty with exclusions not a new car warranty. Under the act a limited warranty has different protections under the law. A lmited warranty just needs to clearly spell out limitations and restrictions, which the Ford warranty does

Here are some claims made by Valvoline about Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF:

Valvoline has conducted extensive in-house testing, independent lab testing, and field-testing to support MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF performance in the broadest range of transmissions; however, it should be noted that MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF is not an OEM licensed product. The respective vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor endorsed MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF in these applications. If an OEM licensed product is preferred we recommend Valvoline DEXRON® VI, Valvoline ATF+4® and Valvoline MERCON®V for the corresponding applications.

Hmm Not licensed not endorsed, not evaluated by Ford even though Valvoline sells other products that do pass muster, only you chose to buy the one that doesn't. Note that Ford does not require you to buy their Motorcraft brand either but they have a right to set an engineering spec that the Valvloline ATF in question expressly does not meet.

Here is the the Ford limited warranty for certified pre-owned vehicles:

"7. Care of vehicle. Your vehicle must be properly operated and maintained in accordance with the maintenance schedule in the service guide, which is part of the owner's guide, for the vehicle. Proof of maintenance may be required in the event a question arises as to whether a malfunction is caused by a defect in factory-supplied materials or workmanship or lack of proper maintenance. It is your responsibility to make sure that all of the scheduled maintenance is performed and that the materials used meet Ford engineering specifications. Failure to perform scheduled maintenance as specified in the service guide will invalidate warranty coverage on parts affected by the lack of maintenance. . Make sure that receipts for completed maintenance work are retained with the vehicle and confirmation of maintenance work is always entered in your scheduled maintenance guide."

So can you prove all of the following
1. That you have proof of maintenance, all service records on the transmission including receipts for the fluid
2. All materials used meet Ford engineering specifications — already failed that requirement
3. Does Valvoline ATF meet Ford specifications and can you prove it? According to Valvoline it clearly does not
4. Valvoline does sell products that meet a Ford spec but your MaxLife is not one of them. In writing, by Valvoline
5. Do your receipts if you have receipts, show. MaxLife ATF on them? Most likely they do if they are like any auto store receipts. They show an unapproved material was used for maintenance

[
Originally Posted by askani79705
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by Rw30707
I have a 2013 ford taurus cpo car that has the 7 year 1000,000 mile warranty set to expire next month with 93,000 miles on it. I changed my fluid atf about 10,000 miles ago with maxlife atf that valvoline recommends. The transmission is making a whinning noise in park, neutral, drive and reverse. I have had two transmission shops look at the car. One said it was it was the pump which probably has a restricted filter and the other said it sounded like the torque converter was coming apart. My question is am i wasting my time taking it to ford for warranty repair. Valvoline says it will not void my warranty but everything else i read says if it is not licensed with ford then i have voided the warranty.

Yes, a whining noise would seem to point to one or both.

I doubt Ford will even take a fluid sample, but if they do tell them you want a 4 oz. sample as well for your own analysis.

Unless they do an expensive and detailed analysis, there would be no way they can differentiate between Say Mercon LV and MaxLife, Amsoil ATL, Redline D6, etc.

This, and keep your mouth shut about the Maxlife. Don't give them an out.

Ford does not have to do an ATF analysis all they need to inspect is the customer's own maintenance receipts that will show customer did not use a Ford approved, MERCON LV approved ATF — of any brand.

Originally Posted by wdn
[Ford does not have to do an ATF analysis all they need to inspect is the customer's own maintenance receipts that will show customer did not use a Ford approved, MERCON LV approved ATF — of any brand.

Which is not required for warranty, correct?

I think many people are missing the point here. The Magnuson-Moss warranty act doesn't mean the consumer can go out and purchase aftermarket (non OEM) parts and expect warranty to cover issues if said aftermarket part fails. All it says is the consumer can use aftermarket parts and still have the manufactures warranty, and in the event of a failure, the dealer/manufacturer has to prove the aftermarket part was at fault.

I hate to say it, but if Ford were to question the ATF used, they are in every right to deny your warranty. Maxlife is not approved by Ford so they can and will blame the failure on the wrong fluid being used. General Motors considers ANYTHING besides approved DexronVI in a transmission to be a contaminate. I'm sure Ford says something very similar. All they have to say is "Sorry, you used a non OEM approved fluid and non OEM fluids are a contaminate to Ford transmissions. They have not been tested for compatibility and durability standards with our transmissions".

I'm not sure if Ford will do a fluid sample. They may diagnose it like they would on a car that is brand new and just replace it no questions asked, or they may put a lot of pressure on you since you're so close to surpassing the warranty.

The ATF is not what is failing here.

And no, Ford does not have "every right" to deny your warranty by using Maxlife in this application. Where are we getting this stuff?

Originally Posted by wdn
Everything in this forum is someone else's opinion, based on viewpoint of whoever is posting, including me.

If you're fortunate the Ford dealer will just give you another transmission with no questions asked, and good luck to you, that would be your lucky day. Let us know how you make out. It is not a new car warranty being discussed it is a limited warranty. People who are relying on Magnusson Moss act should remember this is a limited warranty with exclusions not a new car warranty. Under the act a limited warranty has different protections under the law. A lmited warranty just needs to clearly spell out limitations and restrictions, which the Ford warranty does

Here are some claims made by Valvoline about Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF:

Valvoline has conducted extensive in-house testing, independent lab testing, and field-testing to support MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF performance in the broadest range of transmissions; however, it should be noted that MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF is not an OEM licensed product. The respective vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor endorsed MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF in these applications. If an OEM licensed product is preferred we recommend Valvoline DEXRON® VI, Valvoline ATF+4® and Valvoline MERCON®V for the corresponding applications.

Hmm Not licensed not endorsed, not evaluated by Ford even though Valvoline sells other products that do pass muster, only you chose to buy the one that doesn't. Note that Ford does not require you to buy their Motorcraft brand either but they have a right to set an engineering spec that the Valvloline ATF in question expressly does not meet.

Here is the the Ford limited warranty for certified pre-owned vehicles:

"7. Care of vehicle. Your vehicle must be properly operated and maintained in accordance with the maintenance schedule in the service guide, which is part of the owner's guide, for the vehicle. Proof of maintenance may be required in the event a question arises as to whether a malfunction is caused by a defect in factory-supplied materials or workmanship or lack of proper maintenance. It is your responsibility to make sure that all of the scheduled maintenance is performed and that the materials used meet Ford engineering specifications. Failure to perform scheduled maintenance as specified in the service guide will invalidate warranty coverage on parts affected by the lack of maintenance. . Make sure that receipts for completed maintenance work are retained with the vehicle and confirmation of maintenance work is always entered in your scheduled maintenance guide."

So can you prove all of the following
1. That you have proof of maintenance, all service records on the transmission including receipts for the fluid
2. All materials used meet Ford engineering specifications — already failed that requirement
3. Does Valvoline ATF meet Ford specifications and can you prove it? According to Valvoline it clearly does not
4. Valvoline does sell products that meet a Ford spec but your MaxLife is not one of them. In writing, by Valvoline
5. Do your receipts if you have receipts, show. MaxLife ATF on them? Most likely they do if they are like any auto store receipts. They show an unapproved material was used for maintenance

You're forgetting the fact that Ford says that this particular transmission requires NO maintenance until 150k miles, under normal service. So the OP doesn't have to show ANY receipts or proof of maintenance for this repair. He could tell the dealer that he never did a single thing to maintain the transmission, and the warranty would stay perfectly intact, since that's exactly what Ford TOLD him to do.

Originally Posted by kschachn

And no, Ford does not have "every right" to deny your warranty by using Maxlife in this application. Where are we getting this stuff?

So with your logic, one could put ATF+4 in their Ford transmission and expect Ford to cover repairs when the transmission goes out? I challenge anyone to take Ford to court regarding denied warranty coverage from using non OEM approved atf. You will lose, it's not worth risking.

Originally Posted by buddylpal

So with your logic, one could put ATF+4 in their Ford transmission and expect Ford to cover repairs when the transmission goes out? I challenge anyone to take Ford to court regarding denied warranty coverage from using non OEM approved atf. You will lose, it's not worth risking.

First off, pretty sure that Taurus has a 6F35. I've used Motorcraft Mercon LV, Valvoline Maxlife, and AMSOIL ATF in my Escape with the same transmission And my car is fine. And I promise you I'm harsher on my car than the OP. So fluid is not the issue here. If it was underfilled or overfilled a lot then perhaps yes but if it worked perfectly for 10K+ miles after servicing it's unlikely to be that.

In my opinion the OP should not mention any of this ATF stuff. Just say the transmission isn't working well, and you want it repaired under warranty.

If they come back and say we found X problem which we've seen Y times due to bad ATF and we have Z to prove it. Then you contact Valvoline.

Originally Posted by dogememe

First off, pretty sure that Taurus has a 6F35. I've used Motorcraft Mercon LV, Valvoline Maxlife, and AMSOIL ATF in my Escape with the same transmission And my car is fine. And I promise you I'm harsher on my car than the OP. So fluid is not the issue here. If it was underfilled or overfilled a lot then perhaps yes but if it worked perfectly for 10K+ miles after servicing it's unlikely to be that.

In my opinion the OP should not mention any of this ATF stuff. Just say the transmission isn't working well, and you want it repaired under warranty.

If they come back and say we found X problem which we've seen Y times due to bad ATF and we have Z to prove it. Then you contact Valvoline.

This is the best approach, this is what I'd do if I were the OP.

Heavens there buddylpal, that's not my logic. Valvoline does not promote the use of ATF +4 in this application, but they do say that their Maxlife product is suitable.

And again the problem here is not the fluid it is the transmission. I'm still waiting on the OP to provide the language from his warranty that supports "everything else i read says if it is not licensed with ford then i have voided the warranty."

Originally Posted by wdn
[Ford does not have to do an ATF analysis all they need to inspect is the customer's own maintenance receipts that will show customer did not use a Ford approved, MERCON LV approved ATF — of any brand.

Which is not required for warranty, correct?

Yes it is required for the Ford OCP used car warranty, to use the ATF that meets Ford engineerng spec. I posted the warranty, above where it says just that. The applicable Ford engineering specification is "MERCON LV" per the owners manual for that model year of the Ford Taurus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back