Whistler BC questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
my son is going to go to Whistler this weekend . the forecast is snow snow snow. i have never been there and am not a snow person so my knowledge of these kinda places is low.

here a few questions for those that have been to whistler. Do they plow the roads up there? are chains needed?

Originally Posted by 2009Caraman
Yes they plow the roads. It's one of the most popular ski resorts in the world. also one of the most expensive.

Agreed.

i live in nearby Vancouver and despite being an avid snowboarder, we'd rather drive the 3-4 hours inland towards Sun Peaks etc.
Sure, the drive is longer but the roads are more scenic, gas is cheaper and better snow conditions (more, and drier).

Whistler is overrated for the price you pay.
It's a great place for the 20 somethings who like to party and are from other parts of the world.

lol. i live down here in the lower mainland.

first of all you need snow tires with the snowflake sign, if you get stopped without them you will get a ticket and probably a tow if it is snowing

https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/w...-sea-to-sky-highway/Content?oid=10910568

they do plow the roads, but being a ski resort it obviously snows a lot

regarding the cost of living, it is ridiculous and is one of the most expensive cities to visit or live in Canada, perhaps North America

if it means anything I have not skied there in over 10 years, I just can't afford it

this being said you have REAL MONEY, we use Canadian pesos so everything for you is about 15-20% off

have fun

Last edited:
I thought they keep saying the snow is going to back off, and it supposed to clear and get really cold, I'm not sure how it can possibly snow much more, but it is still freakin snowin! 3 feet, 3 days. They are running out of room to push snowplow piles in the towns. 20F 6:00pm

Originally Posted by 2004tdigls

first of all you need snow tires with the snowflake sign, if you get stopped without them you will get a ticket and probably a tow if it is snowing

regarding the cost of living, it is ridiculous and is one of the most expensive cities to visit or live in Canada, perhaps North America

if it means anything I have not skied there in over 10 years, I just can't afford it

this being said you have REAL MONEY, we use Canadian pesos so everything for you is about 15-20% off

have fun

thanks for the info. now the tire thing is new to me. he is driving my CRV there with General Altimax RT43 M&S rated tires. the link is confusing and am not sure if they would qualify to use to go to whistler

Originally Posted by 2004tdigls

have fun

Actually the law is M&S or Mountain Snowflake.Mountain Snowflakes are better as mentioned but you won't be ticketed for M&S tires assuming they have a decent amount of tread on them.We are under the same rules in the Columbia Valley where I live. If you own chains bring them along but your tires should be good unless they get an absolute dump.

As far as I recall, the road is not that crazy, starting with rain in Vancouver and finally getting into snow.

smile.gif

Last edited:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/...asonal/winter-driving/about-winter-tires

[Linked Image from www2.gov.bc.ca]

A legal winter tire (on a standard passenger vehicle or a four-wheel/all-wheel vehicle) MUST have at least 3.5 mm of tread depth.

A winter tire must be labelled with either of the following:

-The letters "M" and "S", the minimum legal requirement (mud + snow/all season tires)
-The 3-peaked mountain/snowflake symbol (some manufacturers label with both the mountain snowflake and the M+S symbol)

3-peaked mountain/snowflake tires offer better traction on snow and ice. We recommend drivers install 3-peaked mountain/snowflake tires for cold weather driving and, for extreme conditions, carry chains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back