Toyota is recalling 2018 2019 vehicles for fuel pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
Procurement fails in globalization.. it's a lot easier when you look your supplier in the eye.

Originally Posted by super20dan
I am also wondering if this effects japan built ? if so this is unexeptable. Toyota quality depends on the quality of its parts

That's still possible.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
expect a video from scotty by the time you get home from work

Only to claim superior engineering and reliablilty of Toyota. If this was FCA or GM there would have been a video on the recall in 3 minutes of the press release. For Toyota he will sit on it for a bit if he addresses this at all.

I am also wondering if this effects japan built ? if so this is unexeptable. Toyota quality depends on the quality of its parts

Yes, it affects vehicles made in Japan. Toyota isn't any less susceptible to human error than any other brand. It's how they handle it that separates them from the rest.

For instance, here's the janky (in my opinion) looking fix FCA has for a faulty internal fuel pump relay. My gut says Toyota would have replaced the whole TIPM. Can't slap a bandaid fix like that on for a faulty fuel pump, but I bet that Toyota is making sure the replacement pumps last for a very very long time.

When my pump failed 10k after the "fix" FCA said "you're out of warranty, oh well!"

[Linked Image]

The 4Runner and Landcruiser and their Lexus variants the GX460 and LX 570 have only been built in Japan. They are included in this recall if they were built between certain dates. From what I've seen the affected build date range is early August 2018 - late January 2019.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722

Yes, it affects vehicles made in Japan. Toyota isn't any less susceptible to human error than any other brand. It's how they handle it that separates them from the rest.

For instance, here's the janky (in my opinion) looking fix FCA has for a faulty internal fuel pump relay. My gut says Toyota would have replaced the whole TIPM. Can't slap a bandaid fix like that on for a faulty fuel pump, but I bet that Toyota is making sure the replacement pumps last for a very very long time.

When my pump failed 10k after the "fix" FCA said "you're out of warranty, oh well!"

[Linked Image]

They did that because the replacement tipm would fail in the same manner.

Originally Posted by mattd

They did that because the replacement tipm would fail in the same manner.

I didn't think of that

4th major recall on the 2018 Camry.

Fuel lines assembled wrong = fires
Wrong pistons installed = engines seized
Vacuum pumps failed = power assist on brakes failed

Originally Posted by E365

Impossible!
lol.gif

Wait... off topic but do those engines not produce enough vacuum to operate the power brakes? Is that a thing on all Atkinson cycle engines?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Impossible!
lol.gif

Now you've done it!
27.gif

Last edited:

You missed the fifth -

Worst driver on the road = impeding traffic and likely to cause an accident

90% of bad drivers I encounter are in a Toyota!

It's only 90% of Prius drivers who are poor operators. The next highest per capita is truckers. For some reason as soon as truckers arrive in Phoenix Metro they start jumping lanes.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

[Linked Image]

Replacing a faulty TIPM with another faulty TIPM fixes nothing. Also if the fault reoccurred within 10K miles after the last repair a FCA district manager is only one email away.

Also you are comparing a warranty issue to a recall. Two different issues.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Replacing a faulty TIPM with another faulty TIPM fixes nothing. Also if the fault reoccurred within 10K miles after the last repair a FCA district manager is only one email away.

Also you are comparing a warranty issue to a recall. Two different issues.

That was already pointed out to me, after doing some digging the TIPM totally changed for 2014+ models, I had assumed they were the same.

LOL, even I missed that
smile.gif

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
We just bought a 2019 Highlander in Oct. At least this isn't something really major.

I know that Toyota passing other vehicles is remote possibility, but don't you think in that rare occurrence engine stalling might be an issue?

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by wallyuwl
We just bought a 2019 Highlander in Oct. At least this isn't something really major.

I know that Toyota passing other vehicles is remote possibility, but don't you think in that rare occurrence engine stalling might be an issue?

Agree plus this could be a walk home which is the highest customer dissatisfaction. Every manufacturer has issues from time to time, none are perfect. It's a complicated machine made from parts from hundreds of different suppliers of various levels of quality.

ALL auto manufacturers have recalls. Toyota is not immune. Todays vehicles are extremely complex machines. The thing that surprises me is that there aren't MORE recalls.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
36.gif
No Supra eh?

13.gif
Took me a second.

cheers3.gif

BMW has also had fuel pump failures, some of them leading to recalls. One BMW model even had fuel pump failures that required replacement of the fuel tank at $9k, but was never recalled.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wag123
ALL auto manufacturers have recalls. Toyota is not immune. Todays vehicles are extremely complex machines. The thing that surprises me is that there aren't MORE recalls.

Toyota is immune haven't you seen Scotty Kilmer's YouTube channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back