Help understanding Pennzoil Ultra Platinum oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
It's probably dirt, clearly Shell doesn't change filters on the line often enough and the "pure" line is just marketing BS.

So now a random post on a random board by someone of unverifiable veracity of corporate negligence is acceptable as proof and repeatable as fact? Come on. Even MolaKule has weighed in and said this is possible when overloading an additive above what the oil will hold when it is static for a long time. If it is fallout, shake it up and use it.

But yes, OP, that looks way darker than any of the yellow PUP jugs I've had looked... where did you purchase it from?

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Here's a similar 7 page thread from 2017. On page 6 a poster quoted his reply from Pennzoil: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4285953/6

"Finding sediment or deposits at the bottom of new bottles of motor oil is a common and harmless occurrence in all conventional and synthetic motor oil products in the market today. This may occur regardless of the base oil used and does not negatively impact the performance of a motor oil.

Most often, the sediment found is a by-product of a type of nanotechnology used in motor oils to keep the pH balance correct in storage, and then in use inside a motor. The practice is commonly referred to as over-basing a motor oil and is designed to account for the acids formed in an engine during the combustion process.

Periodically, some cosmetic dropout from motor oil is observed in a bottle, and that is most typically due to the result of effective nanotechnology in action, or the slow release of over-based detergents to help neutralize acids. Motor oil formulations are highly specified to help reduce the incidence, but ultimately over time some harmless molecular dropout will occur.

The filtration process employed when formulating the motor oils removes much of the sediment, and then once in use in an engine, any remaining particles are removed through normal operation.

Regards,
"

The goo in the bottom is voo doo magic from our chemist = "nanotechnology".

Me: I dont believe anything in that statement, it sounds like marketing jargon.

every bottle of every brand of motor oil Ive run had ths silt a the bottom. i paid for it so im running it. i just pour 4 of the 5qts in the shake tye last qt to stur up the bottom and pour it in. im sure one pass through the oil filter will remove what is not supposed to be there.

Pennzoil Ultra has received the most complaints of "additive fallout" since I've been perusing these forums. I've read the archives and it's a constant concern. Just shake and pour or find another manufacturer. Shell is a major conglomerate and has an excellent reputation.

I would like to see what the independent experts think?

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
It's probably dirt, clearly Shell doesn't change filters on the line often enough and the "pure" line is just marketing BS.

Please explain what is BS about pureplus and the assumption it's dirt.

Originally Posted by Eddie
Without a VOA you can only guess but, typically we/I think it is additive separation. The recommendation is to always shake vigorously any oil container before dispensing. Ed

Eddie...Thanks for the reply, along with all the others. After reading everyone's input & going back & reading the Pennzoil info, I agree that it "additive separation". I'll try to answer some of the questions asked.

1. One bottle was "new" & one was a half full that had been on my shelf in the garage for several months. The new one was "clean" inside & the one that had been sitting was the one with the 'stuff' in bottom.
2. I buy all my oil(s) at Walmart because it's the cheapest place for the product I use. I always check to make sure it has not been opened when I buy in store, as I've heard of the stories of some people bring old used oil back for refunds. (bad)
3. There was not any "USED" oil either jug.
4. All oil going into the engine looked & was "virgin" oil.
5. "If it is additive fallout, why is it brown?" If you check a freshly opened jug of Pennzoil, the oil looks kind of Honey colored. Here's where I should of read the jug closer.
The print on the label says that the oil is crystal clear when produced & they add "additives" to achieve the "HIGH performance" of the ULTRA.
6. "It was a sign that you were supposed to use an LL-01 or LL-01FE rated oil"
55.gif
lol.gif
crazy2.gif
Guess I should have left out the car info.....

Originally Posted by rav
Originally Posted by Eddie
Without a VOA you can only guess but, typically we/I think it is additive separation. The recommendation is to always shake vigorously any oil container before dispensing. Ed

Eddie...Thanks for the reply, along with all the others. After reading everyone's input & going back & reading the Pennzoil info, I agree that it "additive separation". I'll try to answer some of the questions asked.

1. One bottle was "new" & one was a half full that had been on my shelf in the garage for several months. The new one was "clean" inside & the one that had been sitting was the one with the 'stuff' in bottom.
2. I buy all my oil(s) at Walmart because it's the cheapest place for the product I use. I always check to make sure it has not been opened when I buy in store, as I've heard of the stories of some people bring old used oil back for refunds. (bad)
3. There was not any "USED" oil either jug.
4. All oil going into the engine looked & was "virgin" oil.
5. "If it is additive fallout, why is it brown?" If you check a freshly opened jug of Pennzoil, the oil looks kind of Honey colored. Here's where I should of read the jug closer.
The print on the label says that the oil is crystal clear when produced & they add "additives" to achieve the "HIGH performance" of the ULTRA.
6. "It was a sign that you were supposed to use an LL-01 or LL-01FE rated oil"
55.gif
lol.gif
crazy2.gif
Guess I should have left out the car info.....

Well all that helps explain things.. after all those months sitting on the shelf you probably have a little oxidation and additive fall out.

If it looks like dirt, walks like dirt, smells like dirt, and talks like dirt, it is actually additives that fall out of suspension. I'm just wondering if certain base oils allow contaminants to fall out of suspension more then group 3 oils?

Originally Posted by holder
If it looks like dirt, walks like dirt, smells like dirt, and talks like dirt, it is actually additives that fall out of suspension. I'm just wondering if certain base oils allow contaminants to fall out of suspension more then group 3 oils?

Fallouts and Clashes. Example: You generally don't see 100 Moly with 30 Titanium, unless the Oil Sabermetric Guru Scientists approve the entire recipe.

There's nothing wrong with a little sediment on the bottom of the jug. It's normal, especially when stock sits lengthy spells.
Rule of thumb: Shake the jug before unsealing it.

Last edited:

This is a Group 3 base oil.

Two posts in and you're an expert already? I wish I was that smart. If it looks like a duck... who were you before?

Originally Posted by kschachn

The real question is there a difference between this oil and regular group 3 stuff, it appears that it is fairly easy to get a group 3 rating, but not as easy to get a group 4 rating. If you look at how low the group 3 bar is, it is likely possible many group 2's can actually "qualify" for group 3. But, obviously group 3 sellers have to sell their stuff for premium dollars, so it behoves them to have "synthetic" oils separate from conventional. But 120 viscosity index and low sulfur is almost all that is needed to be synthetic group 3. So technically gas to liquid might be group 3, but there may be more to that story.

Last edited:

The real question is there a difference between this oil and regular group 3 stuff, it appears that it is fairly easy to get a group 3 rating, but not as easy to get a group 4 rating. If you look at how low the group 3 car is, it is likely possible many group 2's can actually "qualify" for group 3. But, obviously group 3 sellers have to sell their stuff for premium dollars, so it behoves them to have "synthetic" oils separate from conventional. But 120 viscosity index and low sulfur is almost all that is needed to be synthetic group 3. So technically gas to liquid might be group 3, but there may be more to that story.

I believe GTL is virtually void of sulfur, aromatics and nitrogen and is almost 100% fully saturated. There are very few crude derived grp3's that can match it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

The real question is there a difference between this oil and regular group 3 stuff, it appears that it is fairly easy to get a group 3 rating, but not as easy to get a group 4 rating. If you look at how low the group 3 car is, it is likely possible many group 2's can actually "qualify" for group 3. But, obviously group 3 sellers have to sell their stuff for premium dollars, so it behoves them to have "synthetic" oils separate from conventional. But 120 viscosity index and low sulfur is almost all that is needed to be synthetic group 3. So technically gas to liquid might be group 3, but there may be more to that story.

I believe GTL is virtually void of sulfur, aromatics and nitrogen and is almost 100% fully saturated. There are very few crude derived grp3's that can match it.

Thank you, which means maybe it should have a distinction that happens to not exist in current grouping.

Thank you, which means maybe it should have a distinction that happens to not exist in current grouping.

Maybe so but there are only so many groups to place GTL.. it's not a grp1 solvent refined, it's not a grp4 PAO or 5 so that leaves either grp2 or 3. Base oils with very high viscosity indexes (VHVI) meeting the sulfur content are Grp3 and often referred to as UCBO, unconventional base oils. So grp3 seems like the logical choice to me.

Group IV is PAO, so it's not about "getting a rating", its a group with one base oil as its sole constituent.

Regarding Group III: It's a broader range of HC products which GTL falls into, as does VISOM, Yubase, PC Purity...etc. One of the key traits is a suitably high VI, as noted. There are Group II's that provide close to Group III performance, these are often labelled the unofficial term "Group II+". An example of this would be Mobil's EHC product line. EHC 45 has a VI of 115 and it, with its sibling products, can be used to replace some, or all Group III in a particular lube that would traditionally require it. For example, they give an example of a Dexos 5w-30 where 55% is EHC 45 and 45% Group III.

All of the Pennzoil Platinum that I had (both 0w20 and 5w30 in 5qt and single quart jugs), had the same fallout. No matter how hard I've shaken the bottles the fallout still stayed on the bottom. Ran it in my pilot for 4 OCI with a couple of great UOAs. FWIW, nothing wrong with that fallout IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back