Voided warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is either, voids the warranty or doesn't. "Okay" is too vague a concept subject to source of info.

Unless it is expressly stated that changing the ATF voids your warranty, it doesn't. The *correct* Valvoline product or Ford's does not matter, but as some have already mentioned, I would not lie but also wouldn't go out of my way to tell them you used Valvoline's product. That just introduces a variable subject to human interpretation error.

They cannot legally require you to use a Ford specific fluid to maintain the warranty, that goes against the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, but it must be a fluid rated as compatible. Extreme example - you can't put BBQ sauce in instead and expect to get away with it.
wink.gif

Do get the car into a shop now. Do make sure it is clearly documented what your observed problem was at the point of bringing it to them, what YOU wanted documented, not the service manager's reinterpretation of your words which can sometimes be a problem later. Make 100% sure that the initial work order copy given to you is stated correctly as to the issue, do not wait for the to give you something later when they are finished which could be all kinds of nonsense and even a bill. This is a dated proof of taking it in for a specific problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wdn
Ford would detect essentially spanking new transmission fluid with zero miles on it and likely take that as an attempt to defraud. Which it would be.

No it wouldn't.

1) You're allowed to use non-Ford fluids.

2) There is nothing to defraud, unless you were trying to hide the fact that an ATF fluid (of any brand) change was required at some interval to maintain the warranty yet it wasn't done. That would be more a matter of receipt-doctoring to get the date vs mileage right, not that the fluid was too clean (lol). This does not apply if there is no prior mileage ATF service requirement that was missed by a significant margin.

You can literally change the ATF fluid every single day unless expressly limited by the warranty and it does not constitute grounds for a warranty denial. LOW fluid level on the other hand, I'd wonder about that and be sure it is topped off to the right level.

Last edited:
Take car to Ford. Explain what it's doing. Shut up. The fluid didn't break the transmission.

Take it in NOW. Get it into the system WAY BEFORE your deadline.

The guy who said "shut up" is right. Nothing is always a clever thing to say.

If solicited for comment ask 'em if there'll be a wait for a transmission because you read you're not the only one.

OLD HISTORY: Ford gave my Mom a loaner car when the '91 Taurus' -a Ford Program Car (a Budget Rent-a-Car return) trannie died.
I had my friend who owned a trannie shop change the fluid with no improvement. The letter from Ford came 2 days later.
Fortunately my Mom was below the allowed 60K limit they made up.
The service manager claimed Ford couldn't keep up with the demand for those rebuilds.
When I asked him what was going wrong with them, he said, "Everything. Bad cases, bad valve bodies...everything".

Indeed it looks like Ford has done it again.

Might there be a better time of day to bring it in? Morning's bustle?

Just do it! Man up. Stand up for your rights. Take no prisoners.

Originally Posted by Dave9
There is either, voids the warranty or doesn't. "Okay" is too vague a concept subject to source of info.

Unless it is expressly stated that changing the ATF voids your warranty, it doesn't. The *correct* Valvoline product or Ford's does not matter, but as some have already mentioned, I would not lie but also wouldn't go out of my way to tell them you used Valvoline's product. That just introduces a variable subject to human interpretation error.

They cannot legally require you to use a Ford specific fluid to maintain the warranty, that goes against the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, but it must be a fluid rated as compatible. Extreme example - you can't put BBQ sauce in instead and expect to get away with it.
wink.gif

Do get the car into a shop now. Do make sure it is clearly documented what your observed problem was at the point of bringing it to them, what YOU wanted documented, not the service manager's reinterpretation of your words which can sometimes be a problem later. Make 100% sure that the initial work order copy given to you is stated correctly as to the issue, do not wait for the to give you something later when they are finished which could be all kinds of nonsense and even a bill. This is a dated proof of taking it in for a specific problem.

Mercon LV is not a Ford specific fluid. You can use Valvoline, Castrol, Supertech, etc. You do not have to use Motorcraft. You do have to use the correct fluid which is a Mercon Lv specification. So the question really is simple, does maxlife meet Mercon lv or is it recommended for use in.

The odds of this being an issue is slim to none. The technician is going to check the fluid level and condition, when it's good he will continue further with his diagnostics.

As long as Valvoline has your spec on it's maxlife bottle "technically you should be fine. I had Mobill1 and a Fram Ultra in my Hyundai and I recieved a warranty engine ..Even though they tried to weasel out of it with the filter. I said NOPE the Magnusen -Moss Warranrty Act says I can use it. That stopped all verbal trys to void my warranty.

Originally Posted by wdn
Ford sure will do a transmission fluid analysis before they pay for a new transmission for a customer, when it just 7,000 miles shy of warranty expiration. Ford would be crazy not to. They would also look at dealer service records. If it is fluid related, Valvoline should be the one paying for your replacement transmission.

In warranty is in warranty. There's no better way to lose repeat customers than to say something stupid like "Oh, that warranty? Yeah... well, we know you're inside the limits of it, and the transmission is considered a lifetime fill, but hey, let's gamble that you will never spend another dime on our products or in our dealerships, since reneging on written warranties is both a good business practice and legal." And considering Maxlife probably has well over 100 MILLION miles traveled on it (hey, it's available at Walmart, cheap, and says it is suitable), as long as OP had enough fluid in the trans, it's not the fluid's fault.

OP, take it in and have them diagnose and fix it. You are free to use alternate fluids; if Ford suspects it was the fluid, the onus is on THEM to prove it caused the failure, rather than you having to prove it wasn't. I'll take that bet every time.

Originally Posted by Rw30707
I have a 2013 ford taurus cpo car that has the 7 year 1000,000 mile warranty set to expire next month with 93,000 miles on it. I changed my fluid atf about 10,000 miles ago with maxlife atf that valvoline recommends. The transmission is making a whinning noise in park, neutral, drive and reverse. I have had two transmission shops look at the car. One said it was it was the pump which probably has a restricted filter and the other said it sounded like the torque converter was coming apart. My question is am i wasting my time taking it to ford for warranty repair. Valvoline says it will not void my warranty but everything else i read says if it is not licensed with ford then i have voided the warranty.

Yes, a whining noise would seem to point to one or both.

I doubt Ford will even take a fluid sample, but if they do tell them you want a 4 oz. sample as well for your own analysis.

Unless they do an expensive and detailed analysis, there would be no way they can differentiate between Say Mercon LV and MaxLife, Amsoil ATL, Redline D6, etc.

I have never smelled Mercon LV, but a few drops of Maxlife will tell the tech "not Mercon" I see that as the only complication. Perhaps people familiar with mercon lv can chime in.

Best of luck to the OP; i don't think there are going to be any issues, especially if that model is prone to failures

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
I have a 2013 ford taurus cpo car that has the 7 year 1000,000 mile warranty set to expire next month with 93,000 miles on it. I changed my fluid atf about 10,000 miles ago with maxlife atf that valvoline recommends. The transmission is making a whinning noise in park, neutral, drive and reverse. I have had two transmission shops look at the car. One said it was it was the pump which probably has a restricted filter and the other said it sounded like the torque converter was coming apart. My question is am i wasting my time taking it to ford for warranty repair. Valvoline says it will not void my warranty but everything else i read says if it is not licensed with ford then i have voided the warranty.

I doubt Ford will even take a fluid sample, but if they do tell them you want a 4 oz. sample as well for your own analysis.

Unless they do an expensive and detailed analysis, there would be no way they can differentiate between Say Mercon LV and MaxLife, Amsoil ATL, Redline D6, etc.

Very rarely if ever do I remember Ford having us send in a fluid sample for a transmission repair.

A most relevant thread for all the Maxlife fanboys out there. OP saved $10 to $20 over using factory fluid and now faces a potential $2,000-$3,000 repair if the warranty doesn't cover it.

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
I have never smelled Mercon LV, but a few drops of Maxlife will tell the tech "not Mercon" I see that as the only complication. Perhaps people familiar with mercon lv can chime in.

Best of luck to the OP; i don't think there are going to be any issues, especially if that model is prone to failures

That would apply to fresh fluid out of a bottle. Used ATF smell is different than fresh, I doubt they'd be able to tell Maxlife from the OE recommended fluid, especially by smell.

Originally Posted by hatt
Take car to Ford. Explain what it's doing. Shut up. The fluid didn't break the transmission.

This.

Originally Posted by MolaKule

This, and keep your mouth shut about the Maxlife. Don't give them an out.

Originally Posted by wdn
Ford sure will do a transmission fluid analysis before they pay for a new transmission for a customer, when it just 7,000 miles shy of warranty expiration. Ford would be crazy not to. They would also look at dealer service records. If it is fluid related, Valvoline should be the one paying for your replacement transmission.

If it is not fluid related Ford will pay for it.

As for BG, dealers use their transmission service and Ford will honor the warranty if you got it services at the dealership.

A good question is why take it to two independent transmission shops, since the warranty will only pay for a Ford dealer to service it?

Originally Posted by wdn
Ford would detect essentially spanking new transmission fluid with zero miles on it and likely take that as an attempt to defraud. Which it would be.

You post as if you're 100% certain of something, but you're probably 100% just giving your opinion. For the love of [censored], say, "I think," or, "if it were me," or some other qualifying statement that doesn't sound like you know from experience - which you obviously don't. Leave some room for doubt, for crying out loud, so you don't get bagged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back