Voided warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 ford taurus cpo car that has the 7 year 1000,000 mile warranty set to expire next month with 93,000 miles on it. I changed my fluid atf about 10,000 miles ago with maxlife atf that valvoline recommends. The transmission is making a whinning noise in park, neutral, drive and reverse. I have had two transmission shops look at the car. One said it was it was the pump which probably has a restricted filter and the other said it sounded like the torque converter was coming apart. My question is am i wasting my time taking it to ford for warranty repair. Valvoline says it will not void my warranty but everything else i read says if it is not licensed with ford then i have voided the warranty.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Just don't tell them it has Valvoline?

Yea, what I was thinking; under warranty what they don't know won't hurt you
wink.gif

I'm never a fan of withholding information, but that doesn't mean that I'd offer it until I was asked. That said, a lot of dealers use non-licensed ATFs (such as BG, for example), so they may not even ask. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Just don't tell them it has Valvoline?

Yea, what I was thinking; under warranty what they don't know won't hurt you
wink.gif

Exactly, sometimes the less you say the better.

Originally Posted by Rw30707
Just thought maybe they do a chemical analysis or something.

That may, but they may not.
You won't know until you try.

Just bring it in and see what they say.

Of course, initially, they may try to swindle you of not giving you the warranty as standard procedure.
Insist on them to do a test drive and proper diagnosis.
Chemical analysis is not cheap, just saying.
Test driving is cheaper.

Also, Ford is notorious for bad transmission.
I had a friend whose job was just rebuilding transmission in the stealership shop.
He never runs out of job.

I don't remember what the maintenance schedule is on those, but if there is nothing for servicing the transmission then as far as you are concerned it is the factory fill.

I would at the very least take it to Ford now and have them diagnose it. Even if they don't fix it and the warranty expires, you'll have better luck getting a goodwill repair at Ford's expense if you can show/prove the problem started before the warranty was up. Make sure you get a repair order from the dealer/get something in writing that shows the dealer looked at it before the warranty is up! Sometimes dealers don't give you a copy of it, or they say they'll mail it to you, and then they don't.

I wouldn't tell the dealer that you used a non-approved fluid, but sometimes dealers will take a sample of the fluid and have it tested to see if it's an approved fluid. Even if they find out it's not an approved fluid, they have to prove that the fluid CAUSED the problem. If it was caused by something else, they have to honor the warranty. If they say the problem was caused by the fluid, then call Valvoline and see what they'll do for you.

Ford sure will do a transmission fluid analysis before they pay for a new transmission for a customer, when it just 7,000 miles shy of warranty expiration. Ford would be crazy not to. They would also look at dealer service records. If it is fluid related, Valvoline should be the one paying for your replacement transmission.

If it is not fluid related Ford will pay for it.

As for BG, dealers use their transmission service and Ford will honor the warranty if you got it services at the dealership.

A good question is why take it to two independent transmission shops, since the warranty will only pay for a Ford dealer to service it?

Chances are other transmissions have had similar issues. They are not going to get the engineer who designed it to take it apart and inspect. If they ask about ATF say I am sure the shop used the proper fluid. What does "proper" really mean? If the ATF looks like driveway sealer they might complain.

Change all the ATF now to Ford.

Bring your wife and have her look at some new cars while you talk to service manager. Make sure service manager is aware of wife looking.

Why buy CPO if you are afraid to use the warranty? Whether you tell them or not is up to you, and your moral compass. As for me, if they ask I will be honest. I wouldn't try and give them any ammunition to deny my claim without them asking me specifically about it.

Why not just change the transmission fluid to whats approved by Ford then take it in?

Originally Posted by Rw30707
I have a 2013 ford taurus cpo car that has the 7 year 1000,000 mile warranty set to expire next month with 93,000 miles on it. I changed my fluid atf about 10,000 miles ago with maxlife atf that valvoline recommends. The transmission is making a whinning noise in park, neutral, drive and reverse. I have had two transmission shops look at the car. One said it was it was the pump which probably has a restricted filter and the other said it sounded like the torque converter was coming apart. My question is am i wasting my time taking it to ford for warranty repair. Valvoline says it will not void my warranty but everything else i read says if it is not licensed with ford then i have voided the warranty.

Please post that language from the CPO warranty so we can read exactly what it says.

Ford would detect essentially spanking new transmission fluid with zero miles on it and likely take that as an attempt to defraud. Which it would be.

Originally Posted by wdn
As for BG, dealers use their transmission service and Ford will honor the warranty if you got it services at the dealership.

Then Ford is okay with non-approved fluids after all ? How can they make conditions or exceptions and say "our dealer can use unapproved fluid and maintain the warranty but you can't" ?

Originally Posted by wdn
Ford would detect essentially spanking new transmission fluid with zero miles on it and likely take that as an attempt to defraud. Which it would be.

It's impossible to get all the fluid out when just doing a pan drop and fill. So the new fluid will still be mixed with the older fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back