-40 Celsius and 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by benjy
the cold oil spec is tested @ 40C thats 104 FAHRENHEIT!!!! from there everything is downhill! on machinery lubrication it showed how much THICKER an oil gets from there + it notes REAL synthetic PAO + Ester oils thicken a LOT less, so open your wallet + buy Redline or similar for faster flow that protects critical parts needing lubrication, of course other things help as well in some instances + locations.

More hogwash.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Originally Posted by nlife

It's -36c here at the moment ... I don't have a plugin outside the house at the moment and haven't been able to use the block heater or the battery blanket at all.

A battery at -36*c has roughly 20 % of its power. And your engine can be twice as hard to turn over as the oil thickens exponentially at these temps. The battery is what will fail. At these temps, an 0w oil can be the difference between the battery having just enough juice to start the engine, or not. And, you often get ONE CHANCE ONLY at getting it started before the battery dies.

If I had to pick one, it would be a battery blanket.

I won't argue any of what you said. I have the truck going in for the 24,000 km service this Thursday. It's a 2018 that I bought new this summer and I've already flagged the battery as a potential issue with the dealer since I had a few charging faults pop up in the fall. Regardless of the dealer does, it appears as though the weather has decided that it wants to test the battery.

I did buy a porch light fixture that has a plug in on it, but I haven't installed it yet. Likely install it this Saturday when it warms up a tad. Then I'll be able to see how the battery blanket and block heater work as they came with the truck.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I have Pennzoil Euro LX 0w30 in my Burb. There is a whole selection of 0w30s out there to chose from.

PP Euro LX is a great oil, probably one of the "better " 0w-30 oils out there. BUT, cold flow is one of its shortcomings. It's one of the thicker 0w-30s out there, nearing w40 territory.

Ravenol or M1 offer thinner 0w-30 options if that is the objective.

the cold oil spec is tested @ 40C thats 104 FAHRENHEIT!!!! from there everything is downhill! on machinery lubrication it showed how much THICKER an oil gets from there + it notes REAL synthetic PAO + Ester oils thicken a LOT less, so open your wallet + buy Redline or similar for faster flow that protects critical parts needing lubrication, of course other things help as well in some instances + locations.

Cold Cranking Simulator

Cold Cranking Simulator (CCS)

Please note we do not manufacture or sell testing equipment. We use the CCS to help validate our products and provide our customers with data.
What is it?

The Cold Cranking Simulator (CCS) measures the apparent viscosity of oils at temperatures from -35°C to -5°C. It is a high shear method and is designed to simulate the oil viscosity under cold starting (cranking) conditions. The test method used is ASTM D5293.

Why do we use it?

The low temperature cranking viscosity is one of the four basic viscosity measurements in SAE J300 which defines the rules around engine oil viscosity grades. It is necessary to measure the CCS value of every formulated engine oil in order to check that it is within the viscosity grade.

How does it work?

The CCS contains a temperature controlled (glycol cooled) pot test chamber. The motor controlled stator is housed within the chamber. The CCS uses a vacuum pump to inject the test sample into the test chamber, where it is cooled to the required test temperature. A motor stator with a constant current is started. The resistance of the stator in the sample at the test temperature is converted into viscosity in mPa.s.

CCS Test Limits in SAE J300:

SAE Viscosity Grade : CCS (mPa.s)

0W : 6200 @ -35ºC
5W : 6600 @ -30ºC
10W : 7000 @ -25ºC
15W : 7000@ -20ºC
20W : 9500 @ -15ºC
25W : 13000 @ -10ºC

Originally Posted by PimTac

More hogwash.

I'm not even sure what he's saying......‚

Regarding the title: -40 Celsius and 5W30

another secret some may not know but I share it with fellow bitogers. I have a scientist co-worker who told me that ALL engine oils (syn or EVEN dino), perform exactly the same @ -40°F vs. -40°C
shocked2.gif
crazy2.gif

I think it has to do with oil molecular structure but I am not a chemist.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by OilUzer

another secret some may not know but I share it with fellow bitogers. I have a scientist co-worker who told me that ALL engine oils (syn or EVEN dino), perform exactly the same @ -40°F vs. -40°C
shocked2.gif
crazy2.gif

grin2.gif

Sort of
smile.gif

They all don't all perform the same, but they all perform the same at -40F as they do at -40C.

shocked2.gif
crazy2.gif

grin2.gif

Yes but when you're south of the equator like in Australia... it'll kill ya, because everything in Aus' wants to kill ya...even oil....‚

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Yes but when you're south of the equator like in Australia... it'll kill ya, because everything in Aus' wants to kill ya...even oil....‚

Do you have to tip the bottle the opposite way down there?

... I have a scientist co-worker who told me that ALL engine oils (syn or EVEN dino), perform exactly the same @ -40°F vs. -40°C

Unfortunately, we may get to test that theory tonight ... the second number is windchill, in Celsius, which at these temps, is about the same as Fahrenheit.

Have mercy ...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Do you have to tip the bottle the opposite way down there?

From what I'm told yes.. crazy thing Australia is!...‚

They're calling for -34 to -36c for my area tonight. Come Saturday morning it's predicted to be downright balmy at -2c. May have to get out the sandals and shorts!

I just arrived in Hinton 30 minutes ago. It's a balmy -36C. It was down to -40 through Jasper Park.
The 6L 2017 GMC I drove up here in has 5W30 Dexos fast lube whatever.
I'm quite sure I put 5W40 in the 6L pulp mill truck that I use when I'm up here. Neither have block heaters and sit out all night.
I brought some 5W30 Mobil with me to do an oil change.
0W40 M-1 Euro blend is always my 1st choice.
I'll check Cambodian Tire and Wal*Mart for 0Wxx tomorrow.

Originally Posted by RamFan
I have Pennzoil Euro LX 0w30 in my Burb. There is a whole selection of 0w30s out there to chose from.

PP Euro LX is a great oil, probably one of the "better " 0w-30 oils out there. BUT, cold flow is one of its shortcomings. It's one of the thicker 0w-30s out there, nearing w40 territory.

Yes, agree. Since the Burb has 200,000 miles I decided to run a slightly thicker oil, and just get a lower CCS number by going to 0w instead of 5W.

Last edited:
These temps are in Celsius. We usually set the night time temp to 18 then the house temp slowly coasts down to 18 by 2:00 AM. With a -16 temp and strong wind, it hit 18 by 10:30 PM. Going to burn some propane tonight. Calgary has it cold at -34 C.

11864283-30E2-4A89-A196-5A045E457EA4.jpeg

Last edited:

Ok, I want to hear this:
What 0W has to do with W40? Or what KV100 of LX0W30 has to do with cold flow?

Originally Posted by edyvw

Ok, I want to hear this:
What 0W has to do with W40? Or what KV100 of LX0W30 has to do with cold flow?

Hi fellows. I can solve this. Here is the PDS for Pennzoil Euro LX 0W30. The CCS Viscosity is 5800 at -35 C which is an excellent cold flowing oil. Even I did not realize this at first.

Pennzoil Euro SDS 0w30.PNG

Those are usually majority PAO base blend - so there you go.

Welcome to the REAL synthetic, high performance arena again.

Me I'm not going outside or driving anywhere if its colder than -15F/-26C

Its going to be -15C in a coupe days in the N.E. USA with another Arctic blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back