New Mobil "Full Synthetic" at AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Hootbro
Interesting design. Somewhat retro and does catch the eye for being different.

Given the $27 and $29 pricing at AZ, makes me wonder if this would be a sub $20 oil at Walmart if they decided to carry it?

Yeah, and the store I took the pics about 10' to the right, there is a nice isle display of STP full syn jugs for $21.99 normal price. They actually have a table display now with all of the leftover $2 Pennzoil Euro Plat and RTG on. Grabbed 2 more PP, FML...

LOL looks like another pathetic attempt at marketing by the idiots at EM....
smile.gif

I'll stick with my purdy SOPUS bottles and Pennzoil Platinum....

Hard to understand why one brand would have three different lines of "full synthetic" oil. Two I can see. But three? No wonder consumers are confused.
Kinda like AMSOIL with their XL, OEM, and Signature Series lines... they're all 5w30 full synthetic oils for gasoline engines.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
smile.gif

Is that stop-start platinum, hybrid platinum, or ultra platinum? Or just regular platinum?

Lol I think ExxonMobil isn't the only company working on marketing.

How's RGT working out?

People...

Originally Posted by BLND1
smile.gif

Is that stop-start platinum, hybrid platinum, or ultra platinum? Or just regular platinum?

How's RGT working out?

People...

thumbsup2.gif

smile.gif

How's RGT working out?

People...

Those are lame attempts at gaining shelf space as well. They'll most likely be blown out next fall at fire sale prices too.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
smile.gif

How's RGT working out?

People...

Those are lame attempts at gaining shelf space as well. They'll most likely be blown out next fall at fire sale prices too.

Kinda hope so!
smile.gif
I'd have no problem using it but the regular price for a very (Mobil) Basic(s) syn is a bit ridiculous. If they do a decent filter combo price with a rebate, then I'd consider it....

Originally Posted by 4WD
Per my store manager already had a contract for the space

Great! That means when it sits there collecting dust they'll realize they screwed up and blow it out next fall, to make room for the next screw up. Some lucky Bitoger's will surely benefit. I cleaned up last year, so I might be out of the race for deep discounted oil come fall 2020. LOL

Originally Posted by Marco620
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Kansas_Ron
Doesn't meet dexos, so they are not paying GM to say it does. I think it might be about money.

There's no reason to pay GM, if this new Mobil Synthetic doesn't meet Dexos.

Spoken for truth
smile.gif

Theres no reason pay GM period. They are one car company if that and the Dexos spiel shouldn't even concern non GM consumers. I'd almost be inclined to buy a product that wasnt trying to please or appeal to GM. I think Pennzoil and the Ferrari approved labelling is way better.

Agreed. A lot of people here put a lot of weight on the Dexos labeling. Granted it's great for it's required specs, but GM cars aren't exactly something I'd buy over a Toyota or Honda for reliability, either.

I'd buy a product if they can prove they can beat the rated specs of certain car manufacturers, but they don't want to pay the extortion fee to put the "approval" on their label.

Wow the labeling looks like something from a dollar store automotive department, a brand X elcheapo oil .

Was just about to type the same thing.

Ugh, what is wrong with corporate marketing people these days? Don't mess around with iconic and familiar brand labeling! And if you do it be better be good, that is awful.

The Pegasus is a nice touch but will mean nothing to younger demographics.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by wemay
Lots of language comparing it to conventional and synthetic blends. I think this is the replacement to their Mobil Super Conventional. It's a genius move since they just completely bypassed the approach of Valvoline and Castrol which now call their lowest tier "Synthetic Blend". The hierarchy will possibly look like...

Mobil1
Mobil Super Syn
Mobil Syn

...since GF-6 is around the corner.

I like the clean look throwback labels.

I like the label because like you said... It is clean and simple .. . The Pegasus is a strong throw back label that is obviously synonymous with Mobil.

This oil is a full synthetic group 3... Just like Mobil Super Synthetic... Mobil Super is likely either going away or that will get a "new" label as well shortly.
Since this new Full Synthetic is rated to 7.5K, then what is Super Synthetic rated to? Isn't Mobil-1 Vanilla rated at 10K?

Personally, I think this new full synthetic is the old Super Synthetic in a new jug.

I agree man ^^^^^^^^^

Think you are exactly right... This oil is very, very likely MSS.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Wow the labeling looks like something from a dollar store automotive department, a brand X elcheapo oil .

Don't know...

I like it... Simple label... And with the Pegasus... Can't go wrong with that in my opinion.

It looks nice and classic to me.

Originally Posted by dave1251
It looks nice and classic to me.

Agree and I think it will appeal to "normal" people. People not interested in the "fluff". And old people like us!

The design of the bottles doesn't bother me. I kind of like it. Anything to sell more oil.....nothing surprises me anymore. I can see this confusing the average consumer though. When people think of synthetics, most think of Mobil 1. 40+ year history. With so many offerings now, who knows....

Wouldn't surprise me if there is some EHC II+ in this oil. I'm curious how it's priced at WM.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Kansas_Ron
Doesn't meet dexos, so they are not paying GM to say it does.

It could very well meet Dexos specs or exceed it. Meeting specs and paying for a 'stamp' are two different things.

Then XOM should advertise it exceeds DEXOS requirements. RP, AMSOIL, and Valvoline did.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yeah … get woke … major use of GII+ by many, many, brands in the USA … Bash on, but it's probably 5%-10% of separation between this and the beloved ST … wait and see what we know a year from now, breaux!

You illogical favoritism is showing. XOM is a bottom line company and the bottom line is profit so when XOM can make additional profit by meeting OEM specs and cutting cost it does. XOM even took the hypocritical route after complaining about Castrol using group III basestocks and labeling it "synthetic" XOM started using group III in Mobil One. XOM quality is 2nd to none but it is not a saint and all its pioneering in the industry is wonderful but in the end the breakthroughs is an means to the end.

Thus I trust a blender such as Warren who has to make products to the upmost of standards just to remain in business because it is the fraction of the size of a XOM. XOM who can and has eaten fines larger than the operating income of a Warren or Omni can and has survived a few bumps. The smaller blenders can not. Does this mean I don't trust XOM? No I trust the brand but it is far from perfect.

Yeah, and there is nobody here that does not know who was your former favorite company.
The way my world works is someone has to enable others. There are not that many vertically integrated oil companies … and I have already acknowledged I'm happy to do business with companies that I see as vital, and actually more connected with OEM's and API in development of new standards. But I also acknowledged ST is a good value made possible by base stock suppliers and additive companies. Utmost standards? Meet the specs is where I'd have stopped implications aside.
I have also mentioned poor engine designs undermine the larger companies efforts to make longer lasting lubricants like they do in their industrial lubricant divisions … to the point if one knows it's happening that gives rise to change often and cheap … so I don't think any oil company has solved that one … That effort will return led by majors and boutiques.
I'm also picky where my money goes and Walmart/Amazon gets plenty already without store brand oils added in.
Paying fines? Lost me there.

What you consider hypocritical ? What year was that and who ALL got away with what since starting with whom? … and as I noted many times pretty much all of them stretch "synthetic" more and more. But so many have it in their heads that GrpIII is the minimum? Where is that written. What I was speculating is this Mobil entry level stuff is one of the highest ratio blends of GrpII+/GrpIII to exploit the S word … probably lower than ST with D1.2 approval … If it's below $20/jug at Walmart … they got there somehow. And having my own Castrol Magnatec oxidation issue at low miles - yet in a non DI engine left me suspicious too. That car has had no issues on the other two big brands.
I don't think you understood any of that (have mentioned a number of times) … and SR picked up on the GrpII+ N/S totem pole analogy that no harmonizing agency in the US seems worried about. It all lines up too closely with plant upgrades, so they are ALL shooting for the bottom line with these low cost enablers purchased by blenders and competition alike.
So I was not doing @XOM any favors at all … and have no plans for this basic oil either.
But, rather than ask for clarification … you went straight to judgement because guess you are needed in that role.

Dave

What is your two words definition of... upmost of standards?
Is it .... Meets Specs?
Is it .....Exceeds Specs?

Highest and loftiest is the definition of up-most. I am holding a quart of Supertech 0W20 in my basement and I can't find the word exceeds on the jug.
Help me out. Will it appear on their SP GF-6 formulas?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back