Just replaced my cabin filters and regretting it

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Originally Posted by Davejam
Originally Posted by Reddy45
The pitiful amount of charcoal in those filters had zero effect on odors. Proper charcoal filtration of odors requires POUNDS of it and even then it can't capture every smell.

Yeah, i'm failing to see how these charcoal filters really do anything, besides reduce air flow. I'd like to see a test prove they work!

Generally agree. Would have to look at the adsorption isotherm for every stinky thing though. The higher the concentration the more will absorb usually... but it is surface and mass-limited.

And stuff will desorb preferentially as well... so it may be more of a way to "normalize" the concentrations of odors rather than remove them permanently... speculating...

ALWAYS REMEMBER: The CVAF is to protect the AC evap coil. ....but hey, if it gives you something to jeer ("How'd we get by before..." etc.), have at it.

Originally Posted by JustinH

I did read some reviews about people worried about charcoal filters and coal lung illnesses. .

Those people are ignorant. Activated charcoal has nothing in common with coal dust which causes lung disease in miners.

Originally Posted by Kira
ALWAYS REMEMBER: The CVAF is to protect the AC evap coil. ....but hey, if it gives you something to jeer ("How'd we get by before..." etc.), have at it.

Ok, car A/C been around since '53. How did AC evap coils survive over 40 years without cabin filters?

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Kira

Ok, car A/C been around since '53. How did AC evap coils survive over 40 years without cabin filters?

Bigger, less efficient, more durable, more open to the environment (less spots to trap water and make mold)

Originally Posted by JMJNet
Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
First time I ever heard someone refer to OEM Denso as taking the cheap way out.

Is there a chance that the $5 Denso may be fake?

I would think this is highly likely.

I don't think the cabin air filter has anything to do to prevent mold on the evap. It's to keep allergensand dirt away from the passengers. I never had any car of mine get a moldy evap hut I do know it happens.

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
First time I ever heard someone refer to OEM Denso as taking the cheap way out.

I picked up an OEM Denso for my 2005 Accord, and it was suspiciously flimsy. Cheap, but flimsier than the one I removed.

Amazon now sells their own amazon basics cabin filters and they are charcoal impregnated. Super deal if you get a two pack. Good luck, hopefully they have your size. If not there are a ton of options there for cheap money

Originally Posted by Bettez88
Amazon now sells their own amazon basics cabin filters and they are charcoal impregnated. Super deal if you get a two pack. Good luck, hopefully they have your size. If not there are a ton of options there for cheap money

And for my car, it costs more than the aftermarket OEM filter (Mann) for my car.... no thanks.

There ought to be a name for the inadequacy of or inefficiency with which lower level retailers (Walmart, "farm" stores) and local parts shops (AAP, AZ, O'Reilly's) procure parts for foreign cars.

On the Advance Auto Parts website I used a combination of sale pricing and coupons to buy a transmission filter + pan gasket for a friend's 2011 Outlander and two other parts for my Volvo.

I did it to see the machinations. Four boxes from each point of the compass. Two bore AAP labels, two from elsewhere.

I got the parts and I got the prices but I assure you, that was a one time deal.

Originally Posted by Davejam
Yeah, i'm failing to see how these charcoal filters really do anything, besides reduce air flow. I'd like to see a test prove they work!

Ask Project Farm to test!

Originally Posted by atikovi

They got rid of the car before the coil got clogged.

Charcoil air filters do work, I have Sharp home air cleaners with a reusable, washable activated charcoal element and yes it does weigh several pounds. It has a removeable filter box with a washable dust screen on top, the washable charcoal filter underneath, then a paper HEPA filter, and inside the unit an ozone generator to attract dust. It's a made in Japan unit used in hospital rooms there.

The amount of charcoal on that fits a car cabin air filter a few ounces at best, will do very little.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
The pitiful amount of charcoal in those filters had zero effect on odors. Proper charcoal filtration of odors requires POUNDS of it and even then it can't capture every smell.

Not to mention how quickly these odors pass right through the filter. Charcoal isn't that "magnetic" to odor.

Back