What is a reasonable price to take for my cat. converters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

Trying to get some cash for four in tact and functional when removed cats off an 05 Crown vic with 50k on them, two fronts and two rear. Checked a few sites and lists online for prices, as well as some people's info on crownvic.net with mixed results. Some say they were given $40/cat, up to $100 or more.

What would you consider reasonable to take from a scrapyard? I am not familiar with cat/scrap prices and don't wanna go into the yard unarmed without info.

Thanks.

I removed the catted downpipe and exhaust which had two cats on a WRX I owned. I took it in and the salvage yard said I could only sell one per day by Ohio law.
So they torched it in half and gave me $40 for one half and I had to go back the next day to sell the second half.

OEM converters supposedly have more precious metal content than an aftermarket one.

DON'T go in dressed like a drug addict or smell like an ashtray.

Put the complete set on craigslist for $700. If you don't get any nibbles, drop the price to 500, 400.

You don't have to actually meet any of these people if they skeeve you out. But you'll get a sense for what they're worth.

Hint, more than you think. My prius cats are worth $660/set!

well the first question I have is, Why did you remove the cat converters in the first place?

Your exhaust will stink, you grossly pollute the environment and it is illegal.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by eljefino
Put the complete set on craigslist for $700. If you don't get any nibbles, drop the price to 500, 400.

You don't have to actually meet any of these people if they skeeve you out. But you'll get a sense for what they're worth.

Hint, more than you think. My prius cats are worth $660/set!

Used converters aren't worth much above scrap value, It's not like you can check their efficiency by looking at them.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Keep in mind that selling used cats is a federal offense.

It's funny how you can't buy used cats but here in MN you can drive all you want with a bad cat.

These cats are being sold as SCRAP, to a salvage yard. They were replaced with high-flow EPA compliant ones.

I got $40 the last ones i sold to the recycler. Metal prices are down so i was kinda happy to get that.

Originally Posted by 2004tdigls
well the first question I have is, Why did you remove the cat converters in the first place?

Your exhaust will stink, you grossly pollute the environment and it is illegal.
confused2.gif

Is that true on the late model cars? The smell that is. Unless if it has a tune and is running rich at idle, it should still be around 14.7:1, and getting decently good combustion. [Throw in a tune and all bets are off.]

I've been behind plenty of vehicles which I presume are stock yet they get real stinky when the go pedal is mashed! Let alone when cold.

[Not that I'm condoning removal of the cat. Don't know what the OP is up to and don't care.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back