Dow Jones up, but from what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by daves66nova
I keep hearing the Dow Jones is up, but what is the starting point to reference, the beginning amount of the day?

From close of previous day.

DJIA up since the end of last recession.

Always important to see the comparison.

You might find a mutual fund in say 2019 that was up 50% over the last ten years. But 11 years ago was a really rotten year. So same fund looked at in 2018 (which would include the rotten year) was up 10% over the last ten years. Big difference once you get the rotten year off your comparison.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Opened at 28,829. Closed at 28,896.

So roughly 70 points out of 28000 points. So 70 points might seem a lot but the percentage is minuscule.

The Seventies Dow not over 1000.-

The eighties, Dow didn't make it over 3000.-

The nineties, Dow cracked 10,000.K and the Teck Dot Com bubble burst!

2009, Dow intra day dipped below 6000.K

2016, #45, 11/16 about 16000.K

Today, Knocking on 29000.K

It was a coiled spring!

The part most don't understand is how the Dow 30 is actually valued.

Misunderstood question, will leave post as info.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald

So roughly 70 points out of 28000 points. So 70 points might seem a lot but the percentage is minuscule.

Correct, each point on the Dow is .25 cents in US dollars.

30 Stocks make the Dow 30.

1 share of each stock in the Dow X4= the Dow Jones # you see on the stock market channels.

Up 0.29%

Up 0.29%

Yeah, I usually just concentrate on the S&P 500. Up 0.70% today.

For investing these days, either the S&P 500 or the Nasdaq. Nasdaq up 1.04% today.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

Up 0.29%

Yeah, I usually just concentrate on the S&P 500. Up 0.70% today.

For investing these days, either the S&P 500 or the Nasdaq. Nasdaq up 1.04% today.

I agree. The Dow is a old reference. The S&P and Nasdaq better reflect the larger market.

I keep hearing the Dow Jones is up, but what is the starting point to reference, the beginning amount of the day?

I hear this , from radio or TV . I agree , it burns me . Up from what ? Down from what ? I want to know the value . Today . ( I do not keep up with it closely enough for the points up or points down to tell me where it is at . )

Keep in mind , up 200 points or down 200 points is a very small percent .

Google shows it is at $ 29,025.74 , right now . I can remember when I was a kid & it was around $ 300 - $ 400 .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

I hear this , from radio or TV . I agree , it burns me . Up from what ? Down from what ? I want to know the value . Today . ( I do not keep up with it closely enough for the points up or points down to tell me where it is at . )

Google shows it is at $ 29,025.74 , right now . I can remember when I was a kid & it was around $ 300 - $ 400 .

You still listen to radio and TV?

I never hear when it's up or down, I just look it up online.

Also, the Dow along with the other indexes are fluid in that the components change. The Dow is not the same as it was at the beginning. It's a reflection of what are the 30 blue chip companies at that time.

International Harvester used to be part of the Dow as did many other companies that no longer exist or have morphed into something else.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

The number is NOT $ (dollars). It is a INDEX. A number. Not dollars and cents.

The valuations of many companies is far too high. They aren't worth what investors have in them. It's all just on paper, stock prices.

If you think the market is too high you can short the market, and if you think a particular stock is too high you can short that stock and make money. If you are really sure it is going to drop soon and want to make a big return on a small amount of cash in, buy put options on that stock.

The previous days news.

Like, Yesterday at end of business:
"Treasury has determined that China should no longer be designated as a currency manipulator at this time,"

That would be the starting point.

and it depends on volatility, another Boeing plane crash would not be as serious as say, Iran ballistics Blitz every major pipeline route in the middle east. Or Bernie Sanders becomes our next President, often President changes can mean market changes!

Last edited:
Money is over valued? Or maybe you think the Stock over valued, there is two sides to a coin, always needs to have a buyer and a seller or you have "Extreme" Spreads, usually to the down side Hard.

I guarantee there is volume on the Stock or Exchange your watching, So there is two different opinions, right? Not always, could just be profit takers that are tier trading around core positions and still probably using options as leverage to buy at yet even better prices.

We are in what is described as a melt up, and as I can see it is real. There is quite a # of advisers saying 4 more of -45- and we see 40K on the Dow, I'm thinking that # might be doable, or close.

Not all stocks agree to allow the options market to manipulate their share price when they IPO, there is no mandatory options access required, but most do.

The Dow is adjusted every year, it is re set and the 30 highest valued Companies/Corporations with public held shares in the Dow make up the Dow 30. So, yes, It is a very misleading figure as it only represents the average of the 30 highest valued stocks in the Dow.

The Advanced, Decline line is much better of an indicator, but they don't show it on television anymore, a lot of the old school charts and indicators are not shown or discussed anymore.

Try a share or two of this, Warren Buffet's first "BHI" share offering "A" Not sure if there are any open shares, means you can't buy one! I would not doubt it if you can not buy any Options! You can't short it...

Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (BRK-A)

NYSE - NYSE Delayed Price. Currency in USD

2W10W9M

$340,706.00 -2,149.00 (-0.63%)
At close: 4:05PM EST That's Down $2,149.00 Today, it was 180K/190K in 2008 I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back