Does this need replacing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a little dirty, though the Prius it came out of was carefully maintained all its life.

[Linked Image]

How hard is it to replace ? Never mind, just watched a video.... Will take more time to empty the glove box. Since you have it out, I'd vacuum it and put it on my to-do list. It doesn't need changed just from visual.

Nobody can tell for certain just by seeing the photograph. Very likely it's ok, though, and filters better than a new one would.

Air filter elements live in boxes above large chambers which have small entrance ports. This creates "velocity drops".
Larger particles fall away due to their mass.
Finer particles are left for the filter to catch.
I think they look cleaner after use than some filters.
Nobody says if dirt particles of different size fill a filter differently.
I don't know.....

The good thing is that regular maintenance factors in "doing it more often".

EXAMPLE: If you get a "Tearolater" oil filter you can extract some comfort from the likelihood of the next oil change being OK.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Install a restriction gauge and then you'll know when the filter needs changing.

Between your restriction gauge and my airflow measuring tool, we should be able to determine if replacement is needed.

Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
It's a little dirty, though the Prius it came out of was carefully maintained all its life.

The way you put this sounds like it's an older car and this is the OEM filter. Why not change it out?

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Replace it since you have it out anyway.

Exactly . After all , how much money for a new filter ? ( Is this an engine air filter or a cabin air filter ? )

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
... Why not change it out?
How 'bout because there's no reason to do so? The engine won't be impressed.

I am becoming more convinced that the restriction gauge is the way to go. Once properly installed the less that filter is removed the better, excessive filter handling or changing gives more opportunities for dirt to get in The intake or a filter to be improperly sealed during installation.
This takes the variables out. Driving a lot of clean hard surfaces it may not need changed for a very long time. Driving dusty Lease roads? It may not last 5k.
The vacuum gauge is objective. Visual inspections and photos are not.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
I am becoming more convinced that the restriction gauge is the way to go. Once properly installed the less that filter is removed the better, excessive filter handling or changing gives more opportunities for dirt to get in The intake or a filter to be improperly sealed during installation.
This takes the variables out. Driving a lot of clean hard surfaces it may not need changed for a very long time. Driving dusty Lease roads? It may not last 5k.
The vacuum gauge is objective. Visual inspections and photos are not.

Exactly
thumbsup2.gif

I'll change it. This is dirtier than I've ever let air filters get in my cars that I've put new filters in.
I only drive 4 to 5k miles a year and the conditions around here aren't too dusty.

I think Federated auto parts has one made by Hastings for about $8.
I'll change it tomorrow, even though I doubt this one is letting dirt into my engine.

I wiped out the air intake chamber below the filter holder with a wet cloth when I checked this filter.
It was a little dusty looking but not bad.

Hold it up to a light and if you can see light through it you are good to go with it. This is the old method of testing but, it is probably better than just looking at the surface. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back