Semi budget tires 215/70/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 18 year old son needs tires for his 2013 CRV.

This is a teaching moment about responsibilities and I'm not buying his tires. He can swing about $400 for the set of 4.

My first thought is RT43s at $106 a piece at DTD. What else should we be looking at in that price range? Wet weather traction is a priority

Affordable tires with great wet weather traction means Hankook Kinergy PT H737, available in an H speed rating in your stated size for $97/ea at Walmart, Made in USA.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hankook-Kinergy-PT-H737-All-Season-Tire-205-55R16-91H/340956663

I have them on my Corolla and can recommend them in the rain.

Then again... I don't know what your vehicle's speed and weight requirements are. If you need a T rated or 100 load rating, you'll have to look elsewhere.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Affordable tires with great wet weather traction means Hankook Kinergy PT H737, available in an H speed rating in your stated size for $97/ea at Walmart, Made in USA.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hankook-Kinergy-PT-H737-All-Season-Tire-205-55R16-91H/340956663 ...
I bought that model in October, in size P195-65-15. A local tire dealer beat the walmart.com price+installation at a local Walmart.

No complaints with the Hankooks, so far. Rolling resistance doesn't seem any worse than the worn Sailun (Chinese) tires that the Toyota dealer installed new before selling me the car as CPO back in 2014.

Last edited:
Walmart has the Kumho Crugen HT51 for $80 each
smile.gif

The Nokian WRG4 is $119

Originally Posted by Stewart Fan

This is a teaching moment about responsibilities and I'm not buying his tires. He can swing about $400 for the set of 4.

My first thought is RT43s at $106 a piece at DTD. What else should we be looking at in that price range? Wet weather traction is a priority

Is mounting of tires included as part of the budget?

Cooper Evolution Tour is $84 a piece, then add another $100 for install, then add misc fees and tax, and you're over the $400 limit.

Mastercraft. I'm pretty sure it's the nonunion side of Cooper.

Consumer Reports rates these tires as the best under $100

Falken Sincera SN250 A/S (T) $81 (80K mile)
Nexen Aria AH7 (T) $91 (90K mile)
General Altimax RT43 (V) tire $99 (70K mile)

All got a 66 rating, the highest rating was the the Continental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus $153

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by Stewart Fan

Is mounting of tires included as part of the budget?

Exactly. So either your son waits for 1 more paycheck to fully learn "adulting", or you're still forking over some money to support him.

Originally Posted by NO2
Consumer Reports rates these tires as the best under $100

Falken Sincera SN250 A/S (T) $81 (80K mile)
Nexen Aria AH7 (T) $91 (90K mile)
General Altimax RT43 (V) tire $99 (70K mile)

All got a 66 rating, the highest rating was the the Continental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus $153

I have these Falken Sincera on the VW and they are NOT GOOD and wear really fast. GARBAGE

Bought Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 for replacement on the wife's Crosstrek.

First time the new tires were much better than factory in all aspects.

Especially super comfortable ride and wet weather traction.

Likely the best performing all season wet tire out there,

These are likely one of the best wet weather "affordable" tires out there.

NTB has great sales and prices in my area that are really hard to be beat.

You may have to jump to a 225/65 but that is not an issue with that vehicle.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
here is the tire ratings at TR:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS&width=215%2F&ratio=70&diameter=16&tireSearch=true&filter=y#

Last edited:
Call me the devil's advocate, but to this day I still buy good used tires on ebay fairly often.

Good tire brands with more than 8/32'nds of tread left can often be had under $50 each.

On light truck tires, I usually pay another $10 to get good 10/32 or 11/32 tread depth.

I had a good experience when looking for some budget conscience tires for my PU. I picked some on Discount tire's web site that needed to be ordered. I went into the store to order them rather than on-line. They offered me an in-stock tire that was considerably better (much longer tread ware warranty) for $7.00 or so more than the cheaper tire I was willing to buy. The online price for the tire was about 30.00 more!

I posted about uniroyal or cooper and wound up getting bf Goodrich TA's. They were $500 out the door and will be on my college sons car and they came with a 5yr road hazard. I thought they were gonna ride hard or might be a little noisy based off of some reviews, but they're pretty awesome.

For the money, falken tires are a nice choice. Handling and grip are good. Just don't expect a remarkable tread life out of them. They are also a bit soft in the corners but hold well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back