Waze VS Google maps on Carplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been driving a lot more lately, and have been using Waze and Google maps about equally. I also have Apple maps but rarely use them.

Which one do you prefer and why??

I use an Iphone 11 and carplay.

I keep reading that Google maps has the ability like Waze to point out road hazards, wrecks, and the police but I can't seem to find it on my carplay. Everything is updated just doesn't show those like Waze does. Which due to that, is my preferred GPS app to run.

Anyone know how to get those features working or Google maps?

Google maps does have the ability to report incidents. AFAIK, it's on their native application, not incorporated into CarPlay yet.

I use Waze for road trips and google maps to discover places in town.

Waze gives me incident reports and police location on the highway not that I speed much anymore.

Google has a superb database of resturants and service.

UD

Apple Maps is my first preference on CarPlay if I am new to a city or area. I find their instructions for lane usage on unfamiliar routes easiest to read at a glance when I'm driving.

Where I already know my way around, Waze is my go to. Google Maps is just hamstrung in CarPlay, which is strange because Waze is a Google property but so much better.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
Apple Maps is my first preference on CarPlay if I am new to a city or area. I find their instructions for lane usage on unfamiliar routes easiest to read at a glance when I'm driving.

Where I already know my way around, Waze is my go to. Google Maps is just hamstrung in CarPlay, which is strange because Waze is a Google property but so much better.

I'm sort of like Uncle Dave. I like Waze on road trips where I don't know all of the radar traps (not that I really speed that much anymore)

Whats really cool (and I recently discovered), is the satellite feature on Google maps. Really neat on unfamiliar areas.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
... Google Maps is just hamstrung in CarPlay, which is strange because Waze is a Google property but so much better.

Waze was independent, bought by google because they know a good thing when they see it.
Waze uses google data, but displays it much better.
I think google maps is better on Android Auto (because we know how much love there is between Apple and Google).

Waze let me down over the summer in Maine. Sent me on a road to nowhere. Google has never done that. Too bad because I really like Waze in Boston.

Waze tells me to drive through the neighbor's yard and crash through their fence to arrive home.

On a long road trip they seem about the same to me. Around town, Waze tends to send me on really convoluted routes through neighborhoods and secondary roads just to save 30 seconds which is why I prefer Google maps.

I find Google Maps mapping and routing to be much better than Waze. Waze can come up with some strange ways to get somewhere.... But if I'm going somewhere where I don't need directions, I will use Waze for hazards, police, and so on.

I really dislike Apple Maps. It just talks way too much, like "Turn left in 1000'", "turn left in 800'", "Turn left...." yeah, yeah, yeah, I know !

I use Waze most of the time.
I like how Google maps will give you the alternate route time though... ex Turn right here and it will be 3 minutes slower.

Waze algorithm is not as fast to update long term traffic patterns though.

We had construction on lake shore drive in Chicago for nearly a month. The day it was completed Google maps was reporting correct route times while it took Waze nearly 2 weeks to decide that there actually wasn't any traffic

As I was driving with Waze it kept saying "traffic is lightening up ahead". When in reality there wasn't any traffic but it was fighting it's memory of the past month.

I love Waze. But our 2 Lexus don't support Apple Carplay or Android Auto.
What do you want for your $60 large?
And don't start me on that stupid Tesla...

So I drive my old Tundra with the $300 refurb Kenwood receiver streaming Waze all over CA!

Try that Scout sometime to define useless in its utter form🤬. No wonder Toyota relented and handed over the update file for their last couple year models . All kinds of complaints about that so they relented.

I use Waze most of the time, even have it setup as the default app on my phone.

Simpler interface, particularly when using Android Auto, easier to use (IMHO) to report traffic, crashes, objects on road, etc.

I like using Waze but it often has problems displaying the correct address, it usually points to the correct location that I am looking for but the city is named incorrectly, it I figured it out right I think it shows the township name instead of the city and if I am local and I know the area I can figure it out if it is correct or not but if i'm going out of state or to a location that I have never been before it could be a problem and take me to the wrong place. I never have this problem with Google maps.

Does anyone else experience this?

Last edited:
I use Waze as well. Google maps for finding points of interest for sure.

Then for fun I also us BS Navigator. It adds some fun to your directions, like if you miss a turn it states something like "turn around you idiot" You can also set it for harsher language if you want.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Android Auto does not require the car to be enabled for it and will work fine with a mobile phone and a windshield mount.

Originally Posted by fraso

Android Auto does not require the car to be enabled for it and will work fine with a mobile phone and a windshield mount.

Everyone here is obviously referring to displaying Android Auto on the vehicle's built-in display/screen.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by fraso

Everyone here is obviously referring to displaying Android Auto on the vehicle's built-in display/screen.

Sometimes I run 'em both. But yes, I am speaking to the built in Navi systems.
Also a hit on Lexus. I would expect these cars, especially a newer RX450h, to have Carplay/Android Auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back