Your Most Reliable Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SouthDakotaDad
Originally Posted by grampi
Without question my '04 Corolla. Just turned 400K miles last weekend. It uses a bit of oil (a qt every 700-800 miles), but everything on the car still works, and it doesn't leak a drop of fluids....

I've had an 08 Corolla and an 08 Vibe with the 1.8L and aisin automatic that were absolutely bulletproof. See Corollas from the 2000s on Facebook with 250K or more miles that are still in good running order people are selling.

If this one ever goes, I have no reason not to buy another one of the same year group (03-08)...

Looking at it at strictly a performance versus maintenance required standpoint:

My wife's sewing machine. It's over 15 years old and never needed anything done to it at all. Still hums along to this day as she is putting a quilt together.

From my stuff, all of it is still pretty new as I am purchasing my own stuff instead of using my dad's equipment. That said, I've got a nice computer that is now 5 years old that I can count on one hand how many times it's been turned off over the years. Still runs great and haven't even so much as blown the dust out of it (I should do that, however, I'm just being lazy about it).

Definitely the two machines in our laundry room - a Maytag top load washer and a Kenmore gas clothes dryer. Both were purchased in the early 90's. The only maintenance has been replacement of a lightbulb on the dryer and four rubber "feet" on the washer.

Runner up is the 3-ton Heil air conditioner (condensing unit). Installed in 1989, and up until this past June the only repair or maintenance was an annual oiling of the fan motor and replacement of a start capacitor a couple of years ago. It needed a couple of pounds of R-22 in June, but ran fine all summer after that.

Washing machine/dryer is 21 years old and the heater/ac is from the 90's. Both are going to be replaced shortly though. The washing machine is permanently out of balance and need to get rid of the chimney so the heater/ac will need a upgrade. I do have something from 77.. but it's kinda grumpy and falling apart so I won't mention that!

Seiko Quartz watch purchased in 1983 has ran continuously on seven batteries for almost 37 years. Seiko Solar on the other hand didn't run a year before it wouldn't charge.

1993 Lawnboy Gold series two stroke. Bought used in 1995 or so from a pawn shop. It got beat on pretty heavy at my second house. Heavy grass and rocks, stumps etc. Now it's got a life of leisure mowing my manicured yard.

It's never missed a beat.

Well McClain hot water boiler and Red Baron main circulator 2hp installed in 1978. The boiler is fine the Oil burner was replaced in 1990.

I have an old Koss "boombox" AM/FM cassette player in my garage. The radio has been playing nonstop except for a rare power outage for 26 years. The cassette player still works as well.

Electronic gadgets don't qualify as machines. (Then there are things with both electronic and mechanical components, like quartz-analog timepieces and tape players ... )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back