Car Shopping- Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

My van is junking its transmission, so I am looking for a new vehicle. This is my second van... the first one (2006 Grand Caravan 17X,XXX miles) junked it's transmission, and my current vehicle (2001 Honda Odyssey 179,XXX miles) is now doing it too.

Before these vans I never owned a vehicle that had a transmission go bad. I am looking for something that has better transmissions. I am also open to other kinds of vehicles but they must seat 7. My budget is limited and not interested in financing so nothing new or expensive. Also looking for something that gets better gas mileage than the Caravan and Odyssey. Any ideas or suggestions for me?

Thanks for your time,

Brad

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
Suburban. Durango.

Have to agree. A FWD platform pulling 7 people, their luggage and a large vehicle is a real stress on the powertrain. Tahoe would be a good choice as well.

If you want to stay in the minivan category, look at a 2011-2018 Sienna. Extremely reliable. My 2013 XLE is at 107k miles. Other than brakes and tires (minivans eat up tires), zero issues. It's super boring but a welcome change from my 2004 Nissan Quest which needed a new brake job every year...not kidding.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by Donald
Suburban. Durango.

Have to agree. A FWD platform pulling 7 people, their luggage and a large vehicle is a real stress on the powertrain. Tahoe would be a good choice as well.

So some of the transmission problems are due to too heavy of a vehicle for the transmission?

compliments for spelling out what you want BUT unlikely to find something to fill the bill. vans that can do what you want are big + heavy hurting mpgs while stressing smaller engines + weaker trannys trying to get decent mpgs. get something built to haul more + maintain it + live with poorer mpgs. in reality depending on how you cared or not for your former rides they did OK in todays throw away world, + sometimes you just gotta spend more to get more!

Crew cab pickup with:

Capture11.JPG

I am surprised the tranny on your 2001 Odyssey lasted this long, that generation of Odyssey's (1999-2004) had horrible transmissions.

Did you change the ATF on these vans?

Originally Posted by diyjake
I am surprised the tranny on your 2001 Odyssey lasted this long, that generation of Odyssey's (1999-2004) had horrible transmissions.

Did you change the ATF on these vans?

Yes, I generally try to at least do multiple drain and fills, or a complete fluid replacement. I likely will not buy another older model Odyssey or Caravan due to their transmission woes. If the value is there I would consider it, however.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
If your current van is in good condition otherwise, how about replacing or rebuilding the transmission. Could get another 100,000 miles out of it.

Good idea, but the van is not in the shape to where I consider it worth doing. I consider the van at the end of the line at this point.

With that many Ody from that year, the transmission replacement is actually relatively cheap.

Have you tried pricing a transmission replacement?
Not at the stealership, though.
You need to find an independent shop.

Here in TX, there are a few shop selling JDM rebuilt transmission for japanese cars.
They tends to cost cheaper than getting a new van.

If your current van is in good condition otherwise, how about replacing or rebuilding the transmission. Could get another 100,000 miles out of it.

Yes! On a limited budget, not interested in financing, and assuming the vehicle is otherwise good to go, this is your best solution. Have your transmission rebuilt at a good shop and it will give you another 170,000 miles or more.

I am wondering how many fluid exchanges were done in that amount of mileage… Perhaps a more aggressive maintenance plan on your transmissions would help them last longer.

I'm not sure about your vehicle, but there are heavy duty shift kits that can be added to many transmissions that extend the life; it might be worth looking into.

Originally Posted by DeafBrad
Hi Everyone,

My van is junking its transmission, so I am looking for a new vehicle. This is my second van... the first one (2006 Grand Caravan 17X,XXX miles) junked it's transmission, and my current vehicle (2001 Honda Odyssey 179,XXX miles) is now doing it too.

Before these vans I never owned a vehicle that had a transmission go bad. I am looking for something that has better transmissions. I am also open to other kinds of vehicles but they must seat 7. My budget is limited and not interested in financing so nothing new or expensive. Also looking for something that gets better gas mileage than the Caravan and Odyssey. Any ideas or suggestions for me?

Thanks for your time,

Brad

To be fair to the vans you've had, they both have known troublesome boxes. The GC has the Ultradrive (aka the UltraFail) trans in it and the Honda has the 5 speed auto that was almost as bad. You were very lucky to get that far on either of those.

Originally Posted by JLTD

Yes! On a limited budget, not interested in financing, and assuming the vehicle is otherwise good to go, this is your best solution. Have your transmission rebuilt at a good shop and it will give you another 170,000 miles or more.

I am wondering how many fluid exchanges were done in that amount of mileage… Perhaps a more aggressive maintenance plan on your transmissions would help them last longer.

I'm not sure about your vehicle, but there are heavy duty shift kits that can be added to many transmissions that extend the life; it might be worth looking into.

Unfortunately, there's not really a 100% certain fix for the design problems with the 5 speed Honda autobox. 5 speed automatics (both FWD and RWD) were cursed for about every maker and this one isn't an exception.

Originally Posted by JLTD

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately the rest of the van is not worth the costs involved in repairing the transmission.

Anyone knowledgeable about the Kia Sedona? Do they have good transmissions? How about the rest of the car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back