Supercharged 17 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a VMP GEN2R 2.3 blower on the way for the car.
When it's all said and done it should have a little over 600 RWHP.

I don't plan on tracking the car. It calls for 5w20. I run Pennzoil Platinum 5W30. A lot of people say jump to 5w50. That seems a little overkill to me. I'll enjoy my burst of power but it won't live at redline.

I was thinking a 5w40 would be ideal.
What do y'all think of using one of the two Amsoil European 5w40 grades? Also considering Amsoil SS 0w40 or Amsoil SS 5W30.

I honestly think the current Platinum 5W30 is probably fine too.

On my 2016 F150 5.0 with a Roush blower (2.3l TVS), I use 0w-40 with good success based on several UOA's. I've also done UOA's on 5w-30, and that worked well though wear was slightly higher then the 0w-40. My Roush kit is far from stock and I beat on the truck at the drag strip often, and also daily drive it on top of that. I change the oil every 5k, and there is barely any oil consumption between changes. Coyote's are pretty tough and not too picky about oil. My engine runs cool, about 185 degrees, and this in turn reduces oil temperatures (oil to water cooler). Cold oil is thicker then warm oil, so I would never run 5w50 in my truck as the effective viscosity would be pretty high, robbing power and economy and potentially increasing wear.

Last edited:
No need to jump all the way to a 50 grade. What I'd look for is an oil with an HTHS >3.5 cP. That should be plenty sufficient. There's plenty of 30 grade oils out there that can achieve that.

Do you have a budget? There's some excellent oils out there for that application, but some people don't like spending $100 per oil change... though they have no problem spending thousands for a blower. lol (not pointing at you, but a friend of mine in particular)

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
No need to jump all the way to a 50 grade. What I'd look for is an oil with an HTHS >3.5 cP. That should be plenty sufficient. There's plenty of 30 grade oils out there that can achieve that.

Do you have a budget? There's some excellent oils out there for that application, but some people don't like spending $100 per oil change... though they have no problem spending thousands for a blower. lol (not pointing at you, but a friend of mine in particular)

For this car I don't mind spending on good oil. Amsoil will likely be what I go with.

The 5W-50 (or 15W-50) favored by track day cars is for protection during periods of high oil temperature. It's also to protect highly loaded rod bearings. Remember that the inertia of high RPM can create rod bearing loads that exceed the loads placed by forced induction at lower RPM's.

But it's good to be mindful of the loads created by modification. Boost and high RPM = very high loads.

I echo the statement above, HTHS greater than 3.5

I run M1 Euro 0-40 in my 13 GT500. Have also ran RP HPS 5-30 in it, other than the factory fill (drained at 50 miles) it has never had 50W in it...but I don't track her.

in the heat of Georgia a 15w-40 or even 15W-50 for summers heat. few people realisze specs are given @ 40C + 100C after those temps oils continue to thicken + thin depending on the base oils + if you can do Scamsoil Redline would surely be my choice

The oil grade you need is pretty much solely dependent on your sustained oil temperatures. 50 grade is absolutely not required unless you are tracking the car (not drag racing) and will see oil temps over about 260°.

If you want to use a 30 grade, that's fine, just know that PP is just about the thinnest 30 grade on the market.

I don't really have a recomendation as much as I wanted to say post some pics and a review when its installed! I've been thinking of some options for bumping up the power on my '15. The factory power is fun for awhile then starts to feel tame. Do you have the perf pack? I'd be worried the 3.73 gears might be too short with the blower. I think they're almost too short as it is.

On my 500 horsepower Vortech Supercharged mustang, I've been running 10w30 Schaeffers oil with no issues.

Originally Posted by HemiHawk
I don't really have a recomendation as much as I wanted to say post some pics and a review when its installed! I've been thinking of some options for bumping up the power on my '15. The factory power is fun for awhile then starts to feel tame. Do you have the perf pack? I'd be worried the 3.73 gears might be too short with the blower. I think they're almost too short as it is.

I do not have the Performance Pack. I have 3.31 gears so they should work well. Oil pump gears also being swapped. I'll post some pics when done.

Originally Posted by Anthony

For this car I don't mind spending on good oil. Amsoil will likely be what I go with.

When I ran 5w30 I was using Amsoil SS, and it performed well. However when I switched the fuel system and went with larger injectors, fuel dilution became a real issue, so that is something I'd be aware of when looking at a viscosity to use. Who is going to be doing the tuning, VMP?

Originally Posted by pzev

When I ran 5w30 I was using Amsoil SS, and it performed well. However when I switched the fuel system and went with larger injectors, fuel dilution became a real issue, so that is something I'd be aware of when looking at a viscosity to use. Who is going to be doing the tuning, VMP?

Kurgan Motorsports is a great tuning alternative located right in GA.

Originally Posted by pzev

That's the plan. Using the VMP supplied tune. Maybe send back a couple of data logs if necessary. I'm not shooting for the stars for power. Just want to make it a little more fun.

I went with the standard 56lb injectors that come with the kit as well as the 85mm pulley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back