Semi-synthetic vs mineral

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a 15w50 semi synthetic and a 15w50 mineral oil which will have a better flow rate and high temperature tolerance

"Flow rate" is not relevant, the winter rating for both is identical and both will be pumped within the limits of the winter rating. That's what the winter rating on an oil is for.

As for the second question that depends on the base stock composition. What brands of mineral and synthetic are you asking about? Is your engine overheating so you are concerned about unusually high oil temperatures?

Based on your other threads I thought your problem was consumption?

The syn-blend 15w-50 would have better high temperature tolerance due to the addition of 10-40% group III and most likely less VII. You probably wouldn't notice a performance difference between them below about 240*F oil temp.

As far as "flow rate" goes, they are the same oil grade and thus similar enough in viscosity that you wouldn't see a difference. Pumpability and minimum film thickness are what's important.

Yeah i have oil consumption issues but recently the battery died and i think the culprit is the heavy oil treatment and wanna switch to 15w50 and thinking about mannol favorit or shell hx5

You think your oil killed your battery??

This is beginning to sound like one of those threads where little dribbles of info and questions just keep going on forever.

Originally Posted by kschachn
You think your oil killed your battery??

This is beginning to sound like one of those threads where little dribbles of info and questions just keep going on forever.

Doesn't heavy oil treatment affect battery?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Espada
Doesn't heavy oil treatment affect battery?

Doesn't your alternator work?

I think it does ...…

The only time a heavy oil treatment could possibly have an impact on the battery would be in extreme cold temperatures when the oil is too thick to pump effectively and puts a strain on the starter (and therefore the battery) to crank over the engine. I doubt you have that issue in Egypt.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
The only time a heavy oil treatment could possibly have an impact on the battery would be in extreme cold temperatures when the oil is too thick to pump effectively and puts a strain on the starter (and therefore the battery) to crank over the engine. I doubt you have that issue in Egypt.

hahahaha

The last time my battery died in Egypt, I hopped on a Camel Uber.

Last edited:
If you are using a suitable viscosity, your engine oil will have zero effect on your battery life. Even if you are not using a suitable viscosity, the small difference in cranking times will have zero effect on your battery. As RDY4WAR noted, only a combination of very low temperatures and a heavier viscosity could ever allow the motor oil to affect battery life... and that would be really severe circumstances. The alternator is designed to recharge the battery after a heavy draw from the starter motor.

Originally Posted by DGXR
If you are using a suitable viscosity, your engine oil will have zero effect on your battery life. Even if you are not using a suitable viscosity, the small difference in cranking times will have zero effect on your battery. As RDY4WAR noted, only a combination of very low temperatures and a heavier viscosity could ever allow the motor oil to affect battery life... and that would be really severe circumstances. The alternator is designed to recharge the battery after a heavy draw from the starter motor.

Okay thanks i went to check on the alternator and it had some issues plus a new battery installed, now which oil should i go with semi-synthetic or mineral 15w50 instead of 20w50 in winter

My thoughts on semisyn is its mostly marketing. It could be 99% grp 2 with 1% grp 3 mineral stirred in,hence making it marketable as a semisyn. What oils do you have readily available there? Any full syn 15W50s or 20W50s?

Originally Posted by Espada
Okay thanks i went to check on the alternator and it had some issues plus a new battery installed, now which oil should i go with semi-synthetic or mineral 15w50 instead of 20w50 in winter

As has already been posted, you go with an oil that has a winter rating appropriate for your expected starting conditions. The winter rating is agnostic to the base stock composition.

Is this getting fun yet? We are starting to catch on, did you notice?

Your car consumes oil.... I would not buy expensive oil.

Run whatever you can find that is thick and cheap.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

hahahaha

That was incredibly stupid and borderline racist.

Originally Posted by Linctex

Told him that a long time ago. Soon he'll have spent enough on all this crap that he could have paid for a new rings and stem seals job.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

hahahaha

That was incredibly stupid and borderline racist.

Its okay i find stuff like that funny ...‚

Originally Posted by Linctex

Told him that a long time ago. Soon he'll have spent enough on all this crap that he could have paid for a new rings and stem seals job.

Actually i am talking about cheap oils 15w50 semi synthetic mannol has almost the same price of 15w50 mineral shell helix x5 and i am using the cheapest i can get and i am switching to 15w instead of 20w as winter is getting cold at night 5 am is usually the time i start my car and it gets to 6c Celsius, ah btw the difference between 15w and 20w in price is 20 EGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back