2018 Subaru Impreza Dipstick Level

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2018 Subaru Impreza with 2.0L DOHC. The oil amount noted in the manual for an oil change is 4.7 qts, however I assume most shops put in the full 5 quarts which would be 9.6 Oz. more...so less than 1/2 quart extra. I know this shouldn't be a problem, however my dipstick consistently shows about 3/4 inch above the top dot, instead of between the two dots. Is this okay? Thank you in advance for your replies and assistance.

Depends on how you check it. Measurement is done on a fully warmed up engine. Allow about 3-5 minutes for the oil to drain from the walls of the crank case.

Originally Posted by JojoD
I have a 2018 Subaru Impreza with 2.0L DOHC. The oil amount noted in the manual for an oil change is 4.7 qts, however I assume most shops put in the full 5 quarts which would be 9.6 Oz. more...so less than 1/2 quart extra. I know this shouldn't be a problem, however my dipstick consistently shows about 3/4 inch above the top dot, instead of between the two dots. Is this okay? Thank you in advance for your replies and assistance.

I had to remove a qt after the dealer changed the oil - TWICE so they don't get to change it anymore. Then I looked on the r.o and they put 6 quarts in. (calls for 5.1 on a Crosstrek**) Engine ran sluggish.

Subaru have been sensitive to the car not being perfectly level when checking the oil..My parking space has a very slight grade , and if the dipstick is on the down side it will read a 1/2 qt OVER and if on the high side it will read a 1/2 qt low.

I just put in 5 qts. but ours specs 5.1.

No need - or - want to top off right to the dot in this boxer engine. No oil use noted on the 2.0

HTH

-Ken

** IDK why larger pan on the crosstrek.vs. the impreza - More off-roading and extreme attitudes expected?

Last edited:
Ken, I haven't checked to see if there is a part number difference between the pans, but I would imagine they are actually the same pan. Even on the EJ25s I've owned there were slight differences in the amount of oil called for in the manual, but only like 0.1 or 0.2 quarts, and you also had the fiasco of having a "full" dot and then a half-moon notch on the dipstick which was "full hot"; the manual claimed that when the oil was hot, it may expand all the way up to the notch yet return to the dot when cool. I've never seen this on any other manufacturer, and even Subaru's H6s never had it (at least on the Tribeca I owned). Since I've never measured the volume of the oil pan off the engine, I don't know how close the oil sits to the rotating assembly; I'd assume that even at the highest recommended level it is still well clear of the crank and rods. Subaru may simply allow a hair more fill level for things like you posit- a high-revving, vehicle attitude-altering off road trip may get dangerously low in the sump with the lower fill amount and risk air introduction which would obviously be really bad. It may have to do with the boxer design since oil in the engine may pool in one head when the vehicle is laid over. So they fill the pan a hair more to give a safety cushion. Just a guess of course but it seems logical.

The Impreza has exactly the same engine as the Crosstrek, and for the 2020 model year the engine oil capacity is the same for each: 4.7 US quarts.

For 2020 the Subaru 2.0 is rated at 152 hp at 6,000 RPM.

Originally Posted by wdn
The Impreza has exactly the same engine as the Crosstrek, and for the 2020 model year the engine oil capacity is the same for each: 4.7 US quarts.

Believe this 2.0 went DI in recent years for a bit more power.
Rumor was that Subaru dealers started overfilling all cars somewhat due to oil consumption problems with some of the EJ engines.
My daughter's Impreza always comes back from the dealer a bit overfilled and I don't get too worried about it.
I have found that I get over 5 liters out of the Impreza with an extractor...the drain plug was mangled and I was never able to get it off, guess I would have fought harder without having the extractor handy. Supposed to have a new one after her 30kmile service.

Originally Posted by wdn

Per my factory OM ( 2017 crosstrek ) oil change capacity is 5.1qts. That includes filter.

Is the 4.7 without filter and where did you get this info?

Originally Posted by wdn
The factory owners manuals and quick start guide of both the 2020 Subaru Impreza and the 2020 Crosstrek specify 4.7 US quarts of motor oil. Such information is obtainable online at the Subaru website. It is not hard to find. Current model year not three year old cars. "When changing the oil and filter".

Page 40. https://cdn.subarunet.com/stis/doc/ownerManual/MSA5B2007A_STIS.pdf

I find my owners manual in my glove box, and it says 5.1 quarts.
So why does the moron Subaru dealar grease monkey in Stratham, NH put in 6 qts AND charge me for it on the Repair Order?

I don't own a 2020 ( yet )

so the new cars are both 4.5L and It appear they went to same capacity with the new D.I. engines

Good to know.

I would go right back to the Subaru dealer's service department and tell them to drain the oil, and then they should refund you the cost of the oil change to compensate. Not only did they add too much oil they charged you for an extra quart of oil.

Well, wife's car, she doent have anoter hour to drive and 2 hours to sit around; plus they'll break something else "by accident"
Bunch of criminals around the coast.

ex Pirates I suspect.

It was easier for me to climb under and drain a bit - took but 15 mins - and that included hand washing afterwards.

Subaru lost us for service, other than brake bleeding.

That's all I'm giving them for the 60K mile service - i'll do the rest.

poor old bones, always working.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back