New Mobil "Full Synthetic" at AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kansas_Ron
Doesn't meet dexos, so they are not paying GM to say it does.

It could very well meet Dexos specs or exceed it. Meeting specs and paying for a 'stamp' are two different things.

Originally Posted by wemay
Lots of language comparing it to conventional and synthetic blends. I think this is the replacement to their Mobil Super Conventional. It's a genius move since they just completely bypassed the approach of Valvoline and Castrol which now call their lowest tier "Synthetic Blend". The hierarchy will possibly look like...

Mobil1
Mobil Super Syn
Mobil Syn

...since GF-6 is around the corner.

I like the clean look throwback labels.

I like the label because like you said... It is clean and simple .. . The Pegasus is a strong throw back label that is obviously synonymous with Mobil.

This oil is a full synthetic group 3... Just like Mobil Super Synthetic... Mobil Super is likely either going away or that will get a "new" label as well shortly.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

It could very well meet Dexos specs or exceed it. Meeting specs and paying for a 'stamp' are two different things.

True/very good point ^^^

+1
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Wow the labeling looks like something from a dollar store automotive department, a brand X elcheapo oil .

Leave that to Amsoil, it's their bread and butter lol

Originally Posted by bbhero
Lots of language comparing it to conventional and synthetic blends. I think this is the replacement to their Mobil Super Conventional. It's a genius move since they just completely bypassed the approach of Valvoline and Castrol which now call their lowest tier "Synthetic Blend". The hierarchy will possibly look like...

Mobil1
Mobil Super Syn
Mobil Syn

I like the label because like you said... It is clean and simple .. . The Pegasus is a strong throw back label that is obviously synonymous with Mobil.

This oil is a full synthetic group 3... Just like Mobil Super Synthetic... Mobil Super is likely either going away or that will get a "new" label as well shortly.
Since this new Full Synthetic is rated to 7.5K, then what is Super Synthetic rated to? Isn't Mobil-1 Vanilla rated at 10K?

Personally, I think this new full synthetic is the old Super Synthetic in a new jug.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by bbhero

Mobil1
Mobil Super Syn
Mobil Syn

Since this new Full Synthetic is rated to 7.5K, then what is Super Synthetic rated to? Isn't Mobil-1 Vanilla rated at 10K?

Personally, I think this new full synthetic is the old Super Synthetic in a new jug.

Mobil Super Synthetic has the same rating and warranty.

Best thing this oil will do is collect dust.
At $30 bucks a jug and $8 bucks a quart. It ain't going nowhere expect to the clearance isle soon!

Originally Posted by Slick17601
I was hoping for Mobil 2

You make Mobil 2 at home using M1 and your vehicle.
;^)

Interesting to me that only the 0W20 is shown as meeting a Ford WSS-...-B1 spec that includes LSPI testing. The 5W20 and 5W30 are both shown as SN+ but only meet -A versions of the Ford specs without the LSPI test.
Could be meaningless, but it caught my eye.

The prices shown are lower than M1 at a typical auto parts store but much higher than M1 at WM, at least around here. I wonder if it will even show up at WM? I seem to remember that Mobil Super Syn disappeared from those stores...
I'd have no problem using this stuff, but am fine with buying M1 or another top tier mass market synth at WM and hunting for rebates.

"The Mobil Superâ„¢ Synthetic limited warranty is valid for 7,500 miles or your vehicle's OEM recommended oil change interval, whichever is longer."
This is straight from Mobil website so between this and Dexos approved not the same oil. In my case it would be 10k as OLM is set for.

Last edited:
Interesting design. Somewhat retro and does catch the eye for being different.

Given the $27 and $29 pricing at AZ, makes me wonder if this would be a sub $20 oil at Walmart if they decided to carry it?

Originally Posted by Hootbro
Interesting design. Somewhat retro and does catch the eye for being different.

Given the $27 and $29 pricing at AZ, makes me wonder if this would be a sub $20 oil at Walmart if they decided to carry it?

Yep - I was tinkin' the same ting.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
At $30 bucks a jug and $8 bucks a quart. It ain't going nowhere expect to the clearance isle soon!

Many people are spoiled by Walmart's oil prices. $30 for a 5-quart bottle of name-brand oil at the auto parts stores is pretty typical.

Originally Posted by parshisa

Leave that to Amsoil, it's their bread and butter lol

Hey now, those approvals cost money. By skipping that step, Amsoil saves costs and can pass those savings on to their customers. Wait a sec....

Originally Posted by kstanf150

I agree. They'll have to blow it out at a buck a quart with a rebate in place for me to make the trip to Auto Zone for this one.

Hey now, those approvals cost money. By skipping that step, Amsoil saves costs and can pass those savings on to their customers. Wait a sec....

In the case of Amsoil the oil does not meet dexos 1 Gen 2 and they even tell you why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back