self checkout, opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by alarmguy

Its ok, at one time, some people would only go to full service gas stations! (just have fun here:eek:)

Safeway isn't going away anytime soon.

Originally Posted by PimTac

He can drive to Oregon. I think they still don't allow self serve but that may have changed since the last time I was there.

The Oregon law is a mess, surprising right? In some rural counties with
TBH though, I would use a full service on some winter days. And what's funny is that fuel in Portland, where you can't pump gas yourself, is actually competitive with gas prices across the river in WA where you have to pump your own gas... figure that one out.

Originally Posted by hatt
A lot of you guys need to stop shopping at such dumpy stores. My interactions with store staff are normally pretty pleasant at the stores I frequent.

Sounds like a lot of folks here are isolationists, afraid of contact with the outside world too.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I rarely ever use self checkout. I don't pay the prices I pay, to scan and bag my own crap. I shop at a full service store for a reason.

Its ok, at one time, some people would only go to full service gas stations! (just have fun here:eek:)

Not many places give you a discount for checking yourself out.

The store's response to this would be you are in fact saving money because they have to pay fewer staff. You didn't see a price decrease, you say ? That's correct, but the store also didn't raise their prices or raised them less than they would have had to if they had more employees.

I hate it at my Walmart because there's only one grocery sack rack. And there's not a space to set anything. Makes it a pain to check myself out.

On the other hand, Kroger has a rotating rack with 4 grocery sack racks, and a shelf to set things on. I don't mind it at all.

Kroger's credit card reader is also at least 3-4 times faster.

I've heard that some stores now have a process of scanning groceries as you go. I think it's a great idea and I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
I hate it at my Walmart because there's only one grocery sack rack. And there's not a space to set anything. Makes it a pain to check myself out.

On the other hand, Kroger has a rotating rack with 4 grocery sack racks, and a shelf to set things on. I don't mind it at all.

I've heard that some stores now have a process of scanning groceries as you go. I think it's a great idea and I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Kroger has that system. Check with your store.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by john_pifer

Kroger has that system. Check with your store.

Problem is, Kroger's too expensive! Rarely go there. Almost all my grocery shopping is at Walmart.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I rarely ever use self checkout. I don't pay the prices I pay, to scan and bag my own crap. I shop at a full service store for a reason.

Not many places give you a discount for checking yourself out.

The store's response to this would be you are in fact saving money because they have to pay fewer staff. You didn't see a price decrease, you say ? That's correct, but the store also didn't raise their prices or raised them less than they would have had to if they had more employees.

Sam's has the most extensive self checkout around here. They're also pushing their app for checkout. Their prices have also shot up recently. I'm basically down to Kerrygold cheese, toilet paper, paper towels, and bottled water at Sam's. The paper products are higher every time I go in. I'm going to start checking out the Publix deals on those things too.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
I feel if Im paying for merchandise I should also have service and support from the company. With self check out half of the experience is gone.

Typical millennial. Don't know about you, but when I go shopping, I go because I need to buy stuff and want to get in and out in the least amount of time. I don't go shopping for an "experience."

Good grief....You don't know if 1978elcamino is a millennial.
33.gif

I wasn't saying he is a millennial, just that the comment is typical of millennials.
smirk.gif

Bruh that's boomers who are caught in the past and want their groceries bagged and carried to their by someone wearing a uniform for the same price as they were in 1982.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
A lot of you guys need to stop shopping at such dumpy stores. My interactions with store staff are normally pretty pleasant at the stores I frequent.

Sounds like a lot of folks here are isolationists, afraid of contact with the outside world too.

You mean like BITOG ??? :eek:) I think that is a better example then someone going to a store and ringing up their own stuff, as they are in the outside world and not at a computer.
Like it or not, you friendly neighbor cashier is a thing of the past and only will be around for old people and those unable to adapt for now.

Last edited:
I dont care for them. I like having a cashier to make sure I didn't miss anything. I shop ALDI and Foodland and farmers markets near me. Its NJ ice being in a rural area
smile.gif

I don't mind them if I have a couple items. If I have a lot I want service.

I refuse to use the kiosks at Mcdonalds!

Originally Posted by ZZman
I don't mind them if I have a couple items. If I have a lot I want service.

I refuse to use the kiosks at Mcdonalds!

I've been in a couple McDonalds that let you walk right back out the entrance door with no purchase, if you don't use the Kiosk. The cash register clerk has watched me go out the door and walk next door to the Taco Bell. They don't care about lost sales. Obviously these two McDonald's are not franchise-leased, but run privately.

They also don;t have a smaller information text sign below the Golden Arches McDonald sign that advertises 2 for $5 sales. The paper sale sign in their window is conveniently put in a far corner of the restaurant, for those walking-in for food.

We live in a different society lately. Nobody cares about nuthin'

Last edited:
I use them unless I have more than 15 items at Jewel (item limit @ self checkout.) Less time used, no or shorter lines, and I don't have to interact with anybody lol.

I love any self checkout, unless I'm getting a lot of stuff.

A software developer had to design the programs it uses, someone had to design the cabinets that house the computers, someone has to come out and service the equipment, etc. Sounds like a lot of jobs to me.

You mean like BITOG ??? :eek:) I think that is a better example then someone going to a store and ringing up their own stuff, as they are in the outside world and not at a computer.
Like it or not, you friendly neighbor cashier is a thing of the past and only will be around for old people and those unable to adapt for now.

While limited stores might go totally self service, there will still be plenty of companies that will not. While self checkout in supermarkets is good for short orders, if you have a loaded cart and lots of heavy items it is not. Also some interaction with employees is nice as well. Not every customer (young or old) always wants self service especially in supermarkets and things like home improvement stores.

I like them. Very fast and little to no wait.

Wifey gets annoyed at times because she has a cart full of groceries and they won't open a lane for her. That's my only issue with them, but I think it's the cashier being a slug more than anything.

There is that meme about receiving a W2 from Walmart because of self checkout. Lol.

Last edited:
I like them, too. They have become better, faster, and easier to use. At Walmart I use Walmart Pay which saves even a little more time and eliminates the need to use the payment terminal. I'm ready for check-as-you-go, as was previously mentioned.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

While limited stores might go totally self service, there will still be plenty of companies that will not. While self checkout in supermarkets is good for short orders, if you have a loaded cart and lots of heavy items it is not. Also some interaction with employees is nice as well. Not every customer (young or old) always wants self service especially in supermarkets and things like home improvement stores.

No choice there. Meijers plans to be that way in the very near future......

I don't mind it and like it most times.
I know a lady who has worked at Fred Meyer for 20 years. She said they hired a few more people for the self checkout.

I hear a lot of people say it takes jobs, based of her account it did not.

Pros:

Fast.
Minimizes my need to speak to someone.
Efficient.

Cons:

I have to figure out what breed of peach I just grabbed.
I no longer get to make the cashier feel uncomfortable when they comment on items purchased. (Which really, is just because I was trying to be left alone.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back