Trannsmision Fluid service fiasco, HELP !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brought my 2016 hyundai genesis rwd 3.8 8 speed automatic, 46000k on odo, to dealer to have trans fluid changed. Here's what happened. I told them specifically to use fluid exchange machine ( not drain and fill) no chemicals. Change filter and use the proper required ATF-SP-IV-RR trans fluid. After service performed 2 hours later. They come out and say there is no trans filter which is wrong, we did drain and fill, not an exchange and on the service order it says they used ATF-SP-IV-M trans fluid.This is the wrong trans fluid. They do not have a service manager and this guy didn't know what he was doing. He also said you can't use trans fluid exchange machine on a sealed transmission. Question #1 can you use a trans fluid exchange machine on this type of tranny or is that B.S. and will this incorrect trans fluid damage the trannsmision. There is also a powerful odor of used trans fluid in the cabin even after its been sitting overnight off. There is no visable fluid in the car. He also said he broke a wrench trying to remove drain bolt or something like that. I'm very angry and worried about this. I'm going back there this morning and expecting the everything fine tell you want you want to hear bologna. So fact based assistance would help. I'm also the 2nd owner and powertrain warranty is almost over . Also trans fluid was brownish dark red proving that you should never believe owners manual recommendation of 60k mile trans fluid change. Thanks

https://static.oemdtc.com/TSB/MC-10161685-9999.pdf

Regarding how often to change ATF, I can't remember the thread on this forum, but Molakule recommends ~30-40K. Perhaps send him a PM and ask him. This procedure outlined in their TSB doesn't sound like rocket science; of course, I have no idea your level of DIY skills, but I simply measure (in 5 Liter beaker) how much fluid comes out and put same amount back in...

BTW,
welcome2.gif

Ok, sounds good thanks. Mechanic skills are basic I just read a lot about procedures, specs, and the proper and improper way of doing things. Just wondering where I stand with the above hassle.

I highly recommend the spill and fill method. You measure out exactly what came out and install the exact fluid you want. If possible I would install an inline filter if the one in the transmission is unserviceable, preferably on the line going into the cooler and not the return line. Ravenol makes an exact sp-IV RR fluid you need. 3 spill and fills and you should be good to go. Welcome to the forum and I wish you many trouble free miles on the road.

Right on ! That's good advice, I will tell them to do 3 times, I would do it myself but my back is junk. Thanks for the reply. What's your thoughts on exchange machine ? It seems like the mist fool proof effective way ? Gonna crash soon

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Patriotsfan1
Right on ! That's good advice, I will tell them to do 3 times, I would do it myself but my back is junk. Thanks for the reply. What's your thoughts on exchange machine ? It seems like the mist fool proof effective way ? Gonna crash soon

Just make sure you're there when the do it "3 times". You want to make sure that they actually do it, then at least run it through each of the gears before dumping the fluid and repeating the process. If they take it for a brief ride that would be even better. Honestly there are about three people I trust to do this job, that I wouldn't fear getting screwed or having my transmission wrecked.

Not having done one of these units with that fluid spec I don't know if there is a big difference in the additive pack or just a slight viscosity difference, Molakule will know PM him if he doesn't see the thread. If may not be worth messing with if the fluid is close, almost like Maxlife and dex VI for example, its not spec dex VI but close enough not to cause issues.
Generally IF the fluid is seriously incompatible drain and fills are pretty much a fools errand, you are only lowering the amount of contamination by varying degrees, not a very good situation.

A line off fluid exchange is the best way to correct the issue before any more damage or wear occurs. Doing the line off is not difficult but apparently getting the fluid level correct in involves getting the car in the air, the best way at home is probably 4 stands or ramps to get it level.

This may or may not be the exact procedure for your model but it will be similar. They say to use some sort of a Tech tool to get the trans temp reading but a DMM with a temp probe cable will work fine and they are cheap. This is a very basic skills job, a little time, a few tools and patience is all you need.

Procedure of ATF level adjusting
1. Park the vehicle on a flat road and lock the tires. 2. Shift the shift lever to the "P" range.
3. Remove the overflow plug by using a torx wrench.
4. Remove the filler plug by using a torx wrench.
5. Check if ATF flows out of the overflow hole. If ATF does not drop, add ATF until it drops. 6. Fix the overflow plug by using Torx wrench.
7. Add 1400cc of ATF from the oil filling hole.
8. Install it to the filler plug with a new gasket.
.9Tighten the filler plug by using Torx wrench with the specified torque.
Tightening torque :
15~25 Nm (1.5~2.5 kgf.m, 11.1~18.4 lb-ft)
10. Start the engine.
11. Raise ATF temperatirue on CAN signal up to 50°C at stabilized idle speed condition.
12. Shift from "P" to "D", then from "D" to "P", keeping each shift position "N","R" more than 2 seconds with foot braking.
13. Repeat 2 times above procedure "3".
14. Remove the overflow plug and the O-ring by using Torx wrench.
Check If the thin oil stream becomes drop by drop when ATF temperatirue on CAN signal is at 58~64°C. 16. Install it to the overflow plug with a new gasket.
17. Tighten the overflow plug by using Torx wrench with the specified torque.

Does this use a filter in the pan? If so drop the pan and change it, it is also possible that it may not but instead a filter up inside that cannot be changed unless the unit is disassembled so yes it has a filter just not a end user serviceable one.

Cars go up or down a hill and go around a corner. The oil is in a pan with a pickup wonder why it has to be so accurate, usually the level is in a range. Dealer work is under warranty so they have to make it right on everything. Don't know if that warranty applies if you take it somewhere else.

Exchange machines are the wrong way to service a transmission. A proper service is to drop the pan, replace the filter and refill. Only using the proper technique to measure the fluid if there's no dipstick is important. If you refill with what came out, how do you know it was right to begin with?

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
I highly recommend the spill and fill method. You measure out exactly what came out and install the exact fluid you want. If possible I would install an inline filter if the one in the transmission is unserviceable, preferably on the line going into the cooler and not the return line. Ravenol makes an exact sp-IV RR fluid you need. 3 spill and fills and you should be good to go. Welcome to the forum and I wish you many trouble free miles on the road.

See if the transmission has a overflow plug on the side ( with the plug removed , fill until fluid runs out ) .

I get that you want to use the exchange machine, but sometimes all they do is pump out the new fluid being pumped in.

I weld an AN fitting as a drain plug on every transmission pan at the first "drain n fill" and do continual changes from then on.

I tried Maxlife in my Ford F150 6R80 (spec is mercon LV) and it caused harsh downshifts on the highway. Otherwise, worked fine.

Last edited:
not ever filter is accessible, that said a drain + fill then drive a while to fully mix fluids + then do again. not sure about the machine process on your ride but its said to replace ALL the fluid with new, a good thing. lots of poor shops operating today + very high priced Stealers are included. i like a good independent shop that relies on repeat business + dont rapx you for said work

Brought my 2016 hyundai genesis rwd 3.8 8 speed automatic, 46000k on odo, to dealer to have trans fluid changed. Here's what happened. I told them specifically to use fluid exchange machine ( not drain and fill) no chemicals. Change filter and use the proper required ATF-SP-IV-RR trans fluid. After service performed 2 hours later. They come out and say there is no trans filter which is wrong, we did drain and fill, not an exchange and on the service order it says they used ATF-SP-IV-M trans fluid.This is the wrong trans fluid. They do not have a service manager and this guy didn't know what he was doing. He also said you can't use trans fluid exchange machine on a sealed transmission. Question #1 can you use a trans fluid exchange machine on this type of tranny or is that B.S. and will this incorrect trans fluid damage the trannsmision. There is also a powerful odor of used trans fluid in the cabin even after its been sitting overnight off. There is no visable fluid in the car. He also said he broke a wrench trying to remove drain bolt or something like that. I'm very angry and worried about this. I'm going back there this morning and expecting the everything fine tell you want you want to hear bologna. So fact based assistance would help. I'm also the 2nd owner and powertrain warranty is almost over . Also trans fluid was brownish dark red proving that you should never believe owners manual recommendation of 60k mile trans fluid change. Thanks

You need to speak to the store owner or GENERAL manager. Clearly incompetence of epic proportions going on here.

Update !!! , went back to dealer spoke to GM, explained the situation. The GM was very cool and wanted to fix situation he refunded me my money immediately, explained my concern about fluid discrepancy, so he walked into to garage area, went into technitions trash and retrieved an empty container of the right tranny fluid. Said technition did catch the error on service order. And put the correct fluid in, drained and filled twice. I can only go on there word, but they were really cool about it. If that's the truth then crises is over. Car is driving , shifting the way it was prior tranny service. We will see what happens, thank you guys for all your help. I'm relieved.

I can only go on there word, .

I'd still be worried with that thought, though at least the GM made an effort to negate the incompetence by refunding his money. I hope the correct fluid is in there.
If it is shifting similar to when it went in you probably are OK, I would imagine. Glad they did something!

My father had his coolant replaced at a Ford dealership and they failed to refill and allow for air pockets drive home 60 minutes and sure enough the low coolant light went on and the recovery tank was EMPTY...I went out and bought him the correct fluid and filled it correctly, he drove back again and they gave him 25 bucks worth of gas for his trouble...not great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back