Honda FILTECH A01 10.5K pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished running the A01 version of the Honda oil filter (Filtech) thru two oil changes. This was the first time i have run a filter for two oci's. Very happy that i did given how it looked and its integrity. This is actually the last A01 filter i have after buying a multipack online a couple years ago or so. I wish i would have run those for 2 oci's. Here are some of the pertinent facts:

2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L (purchased new in Dec05). Has 138K on it now. Have always done oil changes with Synthetic 5W-20 as recommended, various brands, but mostly Castrol Syntec then Pennzoil Platinum.

Today's oil change drained Mobil Super Synthetic @6700 miles with 40% on MM. The previous oil change drained out Pennzoil Platinum with 4800 miles with 40% on MM... all in the last 7.5 months. I have been regularly changing the oil when the MM hits 40% for the last 5 years as I noticed that the varnish starts to built up when looking into the oil filler area around that time. Also noticed that the oil starts getting that funny burnt smell at that point as well. Of note, the Mobil Super Synth didn't seem to stay clean and seemed to leave more varnish quicker. My son took a picture of the oil filler area that I'll post in a few weeks after the new oil has had a chance to clean out the varnish. Will post pics of the hopefully cleaner engine internal surface near the oil filler. Engine is running great and smooth...no issues.

New oil that went in today was Valvoline Modern Engine 5w-20 with a XG7317 Fram Ultra. Got about 10 of them at Rock Auto at a great price around Nov2018 for about $5+ each, so i think these will be well worth it. Planning to run the Fram ultra for 2 OCIs as well.

Everything about the filter looked good. I also forced the filter element apart to check the filter integrity and adhesive joints. Very strong. Great can, ADBV, and bypass valve. This is a great filter and i hope the XG7317 will be just as good.

Enjoy the pics!

8D66DE28-58A4-453B-B816-50E211BEDAE7.jpeg

0398B2BF-0A8B-4206-93F4-576DCAC142EB.jpeg

65AB65E3-2F7E-4A83-9186-3BB688243B02.jpeg

Thanks for the C&P. Filter looks good. Did the pleats catch anything or are they pretty clean?

Ultra's are the way to go. I've been using them on my rides for the past 18 months. This spring i'll open up the Ultra on the Civic and see how it did. My Honda's motor is spotless inside.

Originally Posted by VolvoZ
Just finished running the A01 version of the Honda oil filter (Filtech) thru two oil changes. This was the first time i have run a filter for two oci's. Very happy that i did given how it looked and its integrity. This is actually the last A01 filter i have after buying a multipack online a couple years ago or so. I wish i would have run those for 2 oci's. Here are some of the pertinent facts:

2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L (purchased new in Dec05). Has 138K on it now. Have always done oil changes with Synthetic 5W-20 as recommended, various brands, but mostly Castrol Syntec then Pennzoil Platinum.

Today's oil change drained Mobil Super Synthetic @6700 miles with 40% on MM. The previous oil change drained out Pennzoil Platinum with 4800 miles with 40% on MM... all in the last 7.5 months. I have been regularly changing the oil when the MM hits 40% for the last 5 years as I noticed that the varnish starts to built up when looking into the oil filler area around that time. Also noticed that the oil starts getting that funny burnt smell at that point as well. Of note, the Mobil Super Synth didn't seem to stay clean and seemed to leave more varnish quicker. My son took a picture of the oil filler area that I'll post in a few weeks after the new oil has had a chance to clean out the varnish. Will post pics of the hopefully cleaner engine internal surface near the oil filler. Engine is running great and smooth...no issues.

New oil that went in today was Valvoline Modern Engine 5w-20 with a XG7317 Fram Ultra. Got about 10 of them at Rock Auto at a great price around Nov2018 for about $5+ each, so i think these will be well worth it. Planning to run the Fram ultra for 2 OCIs as well.

Everything about the filter looked good. I also forced the filter element apart to check the filter integrity and adhesive joints. Very strong. Great can, ADBV, and bypass valve. This is a great filter and i hope the XG7317 will be just as good.

Enjoy the pics!

Great pictures
smile.gif

Maybe im blind but what grade was oil you drained?

Thank You sir

JC1, the pleats were clean. I did look closely into the crevices when pulling the pleats apart. Did not see anything chunky at all. Same medium brown color. The debris on the end of the filter is just from the cutting process (angle grinder with thin abrasive wheel),

This was my first, and probably last, new car purchase. It's nice to be able to give this Honda top notch servicing from the start...always take care of my cars as if i am going to keep them forever. The 5 XG7317s that i have on the shelf should take this Odyssey to over 200K miles.

Thank you all for your comments.

53' Stude- 5W-20 was drained for this last one and for all previous changes over 14 years.... thx.

Originally Posted by VolvoZ
I have been regularly changing the oil when the MM hits 40% for the last 5 years as I noticed that the varnish starts to built up when looking into the oil filler area around that time. Also noticed that the oil starts getting that funny burnt smell at that point as well.

Hmmm... do you short trip a lot?
I'm having a hard time believing what you are saying.

Honda's 40% MM recommendation is complete garbage in your book?
Maybe you should try going down to 10% - 5%

This Honda Odyssey is wife's local errand runner, so yes, short trips most of the time, but recently ran multiple long trips to mid-Atlantic for work and NY, thus the high mileage rate over the last few months.

Frankly, the Honda MM% starts accelerating to 0% more quickly as it drops below 40%, so its not like it would be another 4K miles til it hit 0%. I would expect to only get another 1K miles before hitting 20%. It was nice and warm (almost 70F) here in MA over the weekend, so why not change the oil when the weather is nice? And I have hit low MM% before and even went Negative once, but i did not qualitatively like the oil condition. Sure, i should do a UOA and all that, but i don't think that UOA will tell you about all the nasty stuff that is building up in the oil that causes the seals to harden and crack. This car, and my other ones that get frequent quality oil changes, have never suffered from oil seal issues, whereas some used cars that i bought earlier in my life (when i did not know better) that were not well maintained invariably suffered from oil leaks. I work on friends' and family's cars and have likewise seen the same thing. Oil changes are cheap and take no time on this car, so i will continue to do oil changes more frequently than Honda MM for all the reasons stated.

Thx for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back