New Mobil "Full Synthetic" at AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Wow the labeling looks like something from a dollar store automotive department, a brand X elcheapo oil .

That's kinda what I'm thinking. It's almost a deliberate sabotage to imply this stuff is worse than M1. They want an oil for every price bracket, and, apparently, synthetic can be made/sold for a 10-30% premium over conventional.

This could be an AZ exclusive, even, like how Nuprin are only sold at CVS. And if not exclusive it's another shelf-flanker to keep pennzoil off the shelves, or prevent price-matching against walmart.

It's a known marketing angle to make generic packaging almost shameful.

Looks like someone at Mobil got bored. This isnt an all new formula I suspect but just a shuffling of the deck chairs.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Wow the labeling looks like something from a dollar store automotive department, a brand X elcheapo oil .

That's kinda what I'm thinking. It's almost a deliberate sabotage to imply this stuff is worse than M1. They want an oil for every price bracket, and, apparently, synthetic can be made/sold for a 10-30% premium over conventional.

This could be an AZ exclusive, even, like how Nuprin are only sold at CVS. And if not exclusive it's another shelf-flanker to keep pennzoil off the shelves, or prevent price-matching against walmart.

I expected more from XOM, even if it's a low end product. They made it look like a real low end product, almost cheap. Lets see if it's at blow out prices next fall when Auto Zone makes shelf space for better selling oil. I think this is a low end sales attempt mistake, just the opposite of the top of the line AP mistake.

Yeah … get woke … major use of GII+ by many, many, brands in the USA … Bash on, but it's probably 5%-10% of separation between this and the beloved ST … wait and see what we know a year from now, breaux!

They had a contract for that space in the store … this time a lower risk gamble
I might get this year end for $1 quart … we will see …

I expected more from XOM, even if it's a low end product. They made it look like a real low end product, almost cheap. Lets see if it's at blow out prices next fall when Auto Zone makes shelf space for better selling oil. I think this is a low end sales attempt mistake, just the opposite of the top of the line AP mistake.

It's simple and clean. In an industry saturated with flash/fades and metallics I think you guys are underestimating the effectiveness and attractiveness of labels like this.

You want to be zigging while your competitors are all zagging together. Particularly when your brand is as powerful as Mobil. The Pegasus is a simple and eye catching logo. Red/Blue and a Pegasus.

If this is part of a simplified Mobil lineup I think it will be a winner.

Originally Posted by Kansas_Ron
Doesn't meet dexos, so they are not paying GM to say it does. I think it might be about money.

There's no reason to pay GM, if this new Mobil Synthetic doesn't meet Dexos.

I think having the flying horse logo prominent on the jug is good. As for the name, it's still a head scratcher for the average DIYer.

Super Synthetic

Full Synthetic.

What's the difference? Next they will add Mega Synthetic and Ultra Synthetic to the lineup.

Originally Posted by BLND1

It's simple and clean. In an industry saturated with flash/fades and metallics I think you guys are underestimating the effectiveness and attractiveness of labels like this.

You want to be zigging while your competitors are all zagging together. Particularly when your brand is as powerful as Mobil. The Pegasus is a simple and eye catching logo. Red/Blue and a Pegasus.

If this is part of a simplified Mobil lineup I think it will be a winner.

Time will tell if it's a winner or not.

Lots of language comparing it to conventional and synthetic blends. I think this is the replacement to their Mobil Super Conventional. It's a genius move since they just completely bypassed the approach of Valvoline and Castrol which now call their lowest tier "Synthetic Blend". The hierarchy will possibly look like...

Mobil1
Mobil Super Syn
Mobil Syn

...since GF-6 is around the corner.

I like the clean look throwback labels.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Doesn't meet dexos, so they are not paying GM to say it does. I think it might be about money.

Spoken for truth
smile.gif

Originally Posted by wemay
Lots of language comparing it to conventional and synthetic blends. I think this is the replacement to their Mobil Super Conventional and is a genius move since they just completely bypassed the approach of Valvoline and Castrol which now call their lowest tier "Synthetic Blend". The hierarchy will possibly look like...

Mobil1
Mobil Super Syn
Mobil Syn

...since GF-6 is around the corner.

I like the clean look throwback labels.

Surprisingly, some of the MS Syn 10w30 I scores at brothers area or Carlisle PA is SN+
coffee2.gif

100% agree. This would sell IF it was 4.99 and 5.49 respectively. It reminds me of the old Mobil HM Synblend/7500 series bottles. This is probably marketing from the same individual who thought M1 AP was a good idea. M1,Amsoil and Redline need to dump these lower tier oils and focus on quality products and their loyalist. This oil display is pitiful and im sure this will be on AZ clearance very soon.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Spoken for truth
smile.gif

Theres no reason pay GM period. They are one car company if that and the Dexos spiel shouldn't even concern non GM consumers. I'd almost be inclined to buy a product that wasnt trying to please or appeal to GM. I think Pennzoil and the Ferrari approved labelling is way better.

If I was choosing between the 2 (Super Synthetic or Full Synthetic) I would prefer Super Synthetic with their website comparison chart. Both meet specs but Super has Engine Guarantee and also protect turbos. Mobil Synthetic is better against oil break down and combat high temp with Super they claim manufacturers OCI is ok but with Synthetic it is 7500 and this is according to the website.

2018 Grand Caravan

Originally Posted by tiger862
If I was choosing between the 2 (Super Synthetic or Full Synthetic) I would prefer Super Synthetic with their website comparison chart. Both meet specs but Super has Engine Guarantee and also protect turbos. Mobil Synthetic is better against oil break down and combat high temp with Super they claim manufacturers OCI is ok but with Synthetic it is 7500 and this is according to the website.

2018 Grand Caravan

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back