LSx tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best stock balancer puller and what is the best installer tools?
I'm either buying or making both. Thanks

The last time I pulled and reinstalled a crank pulley for an oil pump change on an LSx I believe I used a regular puller and a special tool for the install. Google Hawk LS Series Harmonic Balancer Installation Tool. This tool looks exactly like the one I have. Probably the same maker. There are workarounds, but you risk stripping the crank threads with them, and I wouldn't do it.
I apologise for not remembering what puller I used. I know I broke a HF one and suspect I borrowed one from Autozone to complete the job. LS1Tech has some advise on the subject.

I have used the harbor freight "steering wheel puller " set for decades to remove balancers. I have a blue point set for the newer stuff like the ptcruiser. I have a mac installer set.

I used OTC 6667 puller, worked great. Grabs center hub of balancer, the way it is supposed to be done.
To install you just need M16x160 threaded rod, nut and two large washers, I bought 14027T "tool" which consists of these.
Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
There are workarounds, but you risk stripping the crank threads with them, and I wouldn't do it.

I believe you are referring to using the old bolt to install. As you say, don't do it, it doesn't engage enough threads. The rod can be threaded all the way in.

The last one I pulled I used a big new Britain 3 jaw.
By the time I got it to the end I thought I wrecked my puller and made a mental note to get some LS specific tooling. The problem with most of these pulling and installing tools is that they use too small of a center bolt for the loading they must endure and none that I've seen uses a real thrust bearing.

I have a Blue Point puller & a Kent-Moore installer......There wasn't many options when these engines first came out! Now everybody & their mom is making LSx tools.

The puller Mike linked to looks just like my Blue Point one at a fraction of the cost, For a installer......Get one with a bearing! Especially if you plan on using it more than once!

I have this one HERE for Modular Fords but also comes with a 16mm LSx bolt.

Thanks men! That is the problem with a lot of these tools. The center pin bends or wears out and galls up in the bolt. My son paid in excess of $100 for a matco tight quarter 3 jaw and the center pin bent on the first pull even well oiled. I see the pro form installer has the ball thrust. I have some D10 thrust bearings so I'll machine a robust pin for the puller and make it work. Thanks

Those pins are used by many manufactures of this style puller, That's reason I buy Snap-on/Blue Point pullers! They hold up under heavy fire.

I use an impact on mine....With a liberal amount of antiseize on the push bolt threads. Using a heavy hammer gun (Like a IR 231)....You can feather the trigger & it will help break the initial bond.

Using the shortest pin possible first also helps, Which I usually do If I know the pulley has never been off before.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yep I just ordered the oem version of that tool. I think I have a solid plan to ditch the pins and use a thrust bearing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bearings finally showed up. Haven't used the puller yet. The installer works extremely well with a deep socket on an impact. Total ditch of the need for the pins.
There is 1.5625" of threads showing which should allow the pull to be done in 1 op.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back