Need Recommendations on Steam Cleaners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I am in the market for a steam cleaner. I had my eyes set on the McCulloch MC1385, but I had a friend recently order one when I mentioned that was what I was going to buy and it lasted less than a week and had to get a replacement. In reading reviews on Amazon, it's rated 3.8 out of 5.

As for what I am looking to do with it - I do want to use it for detailing, but I also want to be able to steam floors around the house as well as other cleaning functions.

I would like something that is extremely durable. I really had my heart set on the McCulloch MC1385, but I don't want to buy something that is going to give me problems and not be able to get replacement parts (which is what I have read in the reviews).

As far as my budget is concerned, what can be had for $200 and less is my primary range. if it's a little more, I am ok with that.

If there is something in the $500 and less range, but you know it's built to last long enough to pass on to the next generation, I am open to hearing about it.

Any suggestions would be great.

Did you find one you like?

I have been looking at basic consumer grade steam cleaners and carpet extractors. I am leaning towards getting a steam cleaner and just using it with a wet/dry shop vac instead of an extractor because a lot of reviews on things like the Bissell Little Green Pro Heat say that it doesn't really heat the water much and the suction is poor. Seems like an actual steam cleaner + a good strong vacuum would be more effective.

Seems like a lot of the market is either risky/probable cheap junk in the $100-$200, or commercial grade equipment that is $700+. I'm not looking to make a business out of it, just do a deep clean on 3 vehicles with cloth/carpet interiors and some things around the house.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Did you find one you like?

I have been looking at basic consumer grade steam cleaners and carpet extractors. I am leaning towards getting a steam cleaner and just using it with a wet/dry shop vac instead of an extractor because a lot of reviews on things like the Bissell Little Green Pro Heat say that it doesn't really heat the water much and the suction is poor. Seems like an actual steam cleaner + a good strong vacuum would be more effective.

Seems like a lot of the market is either risky/probable cheap junk in the $100-$200, or commercial grade equipment that is $700+. I'm not looking to make a business out of it, just do a deep clean on 3 vehicles with cloth/carpet interiors and some things around the house.

Pick yourself up a used Rug Dr. with the upholstery tool from eBay or Craigslist.
They work great for Car carpets and upholstery and great for home as well.
https://www.ebay.com/p/21025493590

Last edited:
What are you planning to use it for?

I used to have a VX5000 and sold it to someone. It wasn't very useful except on hard surfaces.

Steamers are great for getting the cleaning process started on carpet/upholstery, but ultimately, you need an extractor. The dirt has to be removed (after it is loosened) and a steamer is not able to accomplish that.

Originally Posted by Toros

Pick yourself up a used Rug Dr. with the upholstery tool from eBay or Craigslist.

I may end up doing this...or maybe just renting one for a day first. I was hoping there was something smaller/hand-held that is known to consistently work well. The full size RugDoctors are big machines, but they probably have the fewest unknowns/lowest risk of disappointment.

There is a mini RugDoctor, but its capabilities/reviews seem on par with things like the Bissell Little Green...might work pretty good, might not, might work for just a few times, might leak...a lot of it is probably user error, unrealistic expectations, and the occasional actual defect, but it still makes it hard to confidently decide on one.

Originally Posted by The Critic

Steamers are great for getting the cleaning process started on carpet/upholstery, but ultimately, you need an extractor. The dirt has to be removed (after it is loosened) and a steamer is not able to accomplish that.

I was hoping going right behind the steam cleaner with a Shop Vac might work pretty well, but that might be easier said than done. I have a feeling I'm going to wind up with both a steam cleaner and extractor.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Originally Posted by Toros

I may end up doing this...or maybe just renting one for a day first. I was hoping there was something smaller/hand-held that is known to consistently work well. The full size RugDoctors are big machines, but they probably have the fewest unknowns/lowest risk of disappointment.

There is a mini RugDoctor, but its capabilities/reviews seem on par with things like the Bissell Little Green...might work pretty good, might not, might work for just a few times, might leak...a lot of it is probably user error, unrealistic expectations, and the occasional actual defect, but it still makes it hard to confidently decide on one.

Originally Posted by The Critic

I was hoping going right behind the steam cleaner with a Shop Vac might work pretty well, but that might be easier said than done. I have a feeling I'm going to wind up with both a steam cleaner and extractor.

If you end up renting or buying, don't buy the Rug Dr. cleaning chemicals. Buy traffic lane cleaner/ spotter from a janitorial supply store or Zep brand from Home Depot. Better and cheaper.

Last edited:
I have the Big Green Machine from Bissel it works great! I think its in the $300-$400 dollar range.

I bought a rebuilt Kent Carpet Express C4 former Home Depot rental machine on eBay. I paid about $400 including the upholstery/stair tool. I get cleaning chemicals from Cobb Carpet Cleaning Supplies in TX.
Minimal effort and hot water gets anything looking new in short order and stuff drys quickly too.

51FnJViviGL._AC_.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back