Winch Disconnect Switch and Mounting Plate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I waffled quite a bit on using a 500amp solenoid or a disconnect switch for the power to the winch. I did not want constant power to the winch and wanted a way to break the connection. I elected to install a disconnect switch so that I do not lose one of my auxiliary switches to power the solenoid and a solenoid would likely be one more thing to fail when it is needed most.

I am still in the mock up stages, but I thought that I would share what I have done so far. I made a template out of cardboard and traced it out onto a 1/4" thick T6061 aluminum plate grabbed from Amazon to mount a Blue Sea Systems disconnect switch also from Amazon.

Enjoy!

Raw Plate:
[Linked Image from iili.io]

Finished Plate:

Mock of Plate 1:

Mock of Plate 2:

Switch View 1:

Switch View 2:

Switch View 3:

All finished (just some minor cleanup remaining). Now I simply turn the switch on before heading off road and back off again when back in civilization.

Yeah ~ I used to make sure they are out of the line of fire if the cable breaks … looks like you have done that.
I'd also recommend safety glasses and sturdy impact style gloves.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yeah ~ I used to make sure they are out of the line of fire if the cable breaks … looks like you have done that.
I'd also recommend safety glasses and sturdy impact style gloves.

The controller is wireless and the cable is synthetic so less energy released if it snaps and I use snatch blocks and cable dampeners too (can never be too careful).

Saw that non metallic when my wife forced me to look at Wranglers ...œ
Is that made from Spectra ?

Originally Posted by 4WD
Saw that non metallic when my wife forced me to look at Wranglers ...œ
Is that made from Spectra ?

It is a Smittybilt 12K winch that came with synthetic rope, I am not sure who makes it for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back