New Mobil "Full Synthetic" at AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson_Slugger

$50 Site Donor 2022
Saw this today at Autozone where the AP used to be:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is this a replacement for SuperSyn or a third tier Mobil synthetic offering?

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
Saw this today at Autozone where the AP used to be:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is this a replacement for SuperSyn or a third tier Mobil synthetic offering?

My guess is it's SuperSyn and just a new label. It's the same exact bottles. Interesting it doesn't have Dexos on it.

Last edited:
Now THAT is a Label!

Looks great.

GF-6 will likely spur companies to take a look at product lineups and make decisions on which direction they want to go marketing-wise.

Wow the labeling looks like something from a dollar store automotive department, a brand X elcheapo oil .

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Wow the labeling looks like something from a dollar store automotive department, a brand X elcheapo oil .

Don't know...

I like it... Simple label... And with the Pegasus... Can't go wrong with that in my opinion.

Originally Posted by MParr
Could this be the replacement for Mobil Super Synthetic?

Possibly, but it looks more like the syn equivalent of Mobil Special oil. I wonder if it is more for their quickie lubes...

Originally Posted by bbhero

Don't know...

I like it... Simple label... And with the Pegasus... Can't go wrong with that in my opinion.

Right on … I could rub one down with a tea bag, make it look old, add to my collection, LoL

So maybe they are trying to simplify things in a confusing marketplace? I can see that if the Mobil Super and Synthetic line is discontinued. Otherwise, it just adds more confusion.

I'm curious what the price point will be if at Wal Mart. It also could be something unique to auto stores. Maybe they keep Mobil Super/Super Synthetic at Walmart and big box places and this one goes to the auto stores?

This will be interesting to watch. The marketing people have been working overtime at all these oil companies. (Except maybe Havoline and QS. They seem to stay consistent.)

Originally Posted by IndyFan
This will be interesting to watch. The marketing people have been working overtime at all these oil companies. (Except maybe Havoline and QS. They seem to stay consistent.)

Roger that! +1.

Don't know...

Agreed. In a market saturated with metallics and flashy graphics this is a great simple throwback. The language is pushing comparisons to conventional for a reason. I think this might be the gf6/sp "conventional" tier from Mobil. (Or maybe just the super syn replacement.) or maybe this is a groupII+ blend that they are calling synthetic?

Valvoline did something similar when they re-labeled their "daily protection" as a syn-blend. I think we're seeing the last days of "conventional" labeling.

Originally Posted by 4WD

Don't know...

Right on … I could rub one down with a tea bag, make it look old, add to my collection, LoL

Modern classic. I like it.

5W20 MSDS

BENZENAMINE, AR-NONYL-N-(NONYL PHENYL)- 36878-20-3 1 - < 5% H413

POLYOLEFIN POLYAMINE SUCCINIMIDE 147880-09-9 1 - < 5% H413

SEVERELY HYDROTREATED HEAVY PARAFFINIC DISTILLATE 64742-54-7 60 - < 70% H304

ZINC ALKYLDITHIOPHOSPHATE 68649-42-3 0.1 - < 1% H318, H401, H411

The product data sheet shows a large increase in viscosity between the 0-20/5-20 and 5-30 and the 5-30 appears to be heavier than average for a 5-30 at that. As a marketing guy myself the only product I would put that label on would be a generic! U-G-L-Y, you ain't got no alibi - You ugly! Does make you wonder, as was mentioned above, what their pricing strategy is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back