Headlights- where is toothpaste on the abrasion scale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tooth powder might be better as its more abrasive than normal tooth paste.

No accurate idea of the grit equivalent but it has to be in the thousands.

I don't think you can equate toothpaste performance to sandpaper performance. Two different instruments. Liquid polish or compounds would be a better comparison.

Again, I would use a polish or compound that is made for headlights. There are kits available for not much money. Meguiars, Mothers and others make them.

Real liquid compounds are cheaper than toothpaste Only trouble is they taste 🤢like 💩 for brushing teeth. Autozone possibly Wally even has it. Red is coarse white is fine.

I have used toothpaste to polish headlights before. It was the white Crest with whitening formula (whatever that means). I didn't have sandpaper so I went at them with the toothpaste and a Harbor freight orange buffing pad on my porter cable DA polisher. it buffed out to a higher shine than I expected but took a LONG time and multiple applications (like 5 times)

I would say its up there in the grit category because even 2000 grit sandpaper will leave a shiny surface dull. It would have to be in the 4000+ grit area.

here's a 10 yr old Mighty Car mods Video testing several different products on headlamps, including Toothpaste...amongst others..

The Sylvania headlight restoration kit is a good product also since it comes with a clear coat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back