0w40 in a 2.0 ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
The OP seems to have the answer to his question already and is seeking confirmation.

Good luck

Not really, I figured somewhere in Europe it's probably spec for a 40wt however

Europe is a different culture. They have different emissions - different gasoline and live a little differently too. My wife's relative there still doesn't live much by a refrigerator - hangs meat from a clothespin line and OMG (worst of all)..... she drinks warm beer.

Originally Posted by BigShug681
Originally Posted by PimTac
The OP seems to have the answer to his question already and is seeking confirmation.

Good luck

Not really, I figured somewhere in Europe it's probably spec for a 40wt however

I didn't know Missouri was in Europe? Based on that line of thinking you should run a 50 grade. Australia likely approves that.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Europe is a different culture. They have different emissions - different gasoline and live a little differently too. My wife's relative there still doesn't live much by a refrigerator - hangs meat from a clothespin line and OMG (worst of all)..... she drinks warm beer.

That last part is why we had to beat the Nazis

German beer is my favorite, followed by a couple brews in Me'hico......
Where are all the Mexican oils in this Midwest area? All I see really is Venezuela's Citgo.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
German beer is my favorite, followed by a couple brews in Me'hico......
Where are all the Mexican oils in this Midwest area? All I see really is Venezuela's Citgo.

I've been in a Guinness kick lately

Miller Lite is like 0W16
Guinness is like 20w50

I wouldn't use either one in an Ecoboost engine, or in a cup-holder inside the vehicle's cabin......lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BigShug681
All of Amsoil's SS protects 100% from LSPI, allegedly. I've had zero issues with the SS line in the 85k miles we've owned it.

I was pretty happy to see Amsoil addressing the LSPI issue head on...I also liked that they came right out and said their SA level was too high for dexos1 Gen 2 in the SS grades that are covered by that standard.
Amsoil is a leader in the motor oil industry for sharing meaningful information with the consumer...Warren is probably even more outstanding, look at this awesome PDS for MAG 1 5W30!
https://mag1.com/products/33/pds/

When I bought my 2017 Fusion I chose the 2.5 NA engine to avoid all the issues the OP is concerned about.

Just out of curiosity, what does the TBN look like @ 15k miles? With a fuel dilution >5%, I feel like the oil dropping a grade is only part of your problem. Not sure how much farther I'd push any oil regardless of viscosity. I'd consider engine longevity more cost effective then an extra oil change or two.

I'm all for doing UOA and seeing how well the oil is fairing and how far out you can push the OCI. As a matter of fact, being fairly new to the nerdy side of oil that's what I'm doing right now, however if you're ignoring what the results are telling you, doing them is moot.

My only other train of thought on this would be the filter. Of that 15K miles how long was it actually doing its job and how much longer could it? Call me old school, but although I've seen it talked about quite often, changing the filter and/or the oil wile not replacing the other sounds completely stupid to me.

My $0.02, run the grade it's spec'd for in your region for as long as the UOA says the TBN is >2 and it stays in grade and move on.

Originally Posted by tig1
When I bought my 2017 Fusion I chose the 2.5 NA engine to avoid all the issues the OP is concerned about.

I would have done exactly the same thing you did.

Originally Posted by STIcandy
Just out of curiosity, what does the TBN look like @ 15k miles? With a fuel dilution >5%, I feel like the oil dropping a grade is only part of your problem. Not sure how much farther I'd push any oil regardless of viscosity. I'd consider engine longevity more cost effective then an extra oil change or two.

I'm all for doing UOA and seeing how well the oil is fairing and how far out you can push the OCI. As a matter of fact, being fairly new to the nerdy side of oil that's what I'm doing right now, however if you're ignoring what the results are telling you, doing them is moot.

My only other train of thought on this would be the filter. Of that 15K miles how long was it actually doing its job and how much longer could it? Call me old school, but although I've seen it talked about quite often, changing the filter and/or the oil wile not replacing the other sounds completely stupid to me.

My $0.02, run the grade it's spec'd for in your region for as long as the UOA says the TBN is >2 and it stays in grade and move on.

You're a thinker.ðŸ‘

Ignoring the +5% F/D is like me ignoring my Dr saying my blood tests show high cholesterol and I should lay off the fatty, fried foods...but instead I say, "Nah..I just need a little more fiber". 🤦

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by STIcandy

You're a thinker.ðŸ‘

Ignoring the +5% F/D is like me ignoring my Dr saying my blood tests show high cholesterol and I should lay off the fatty, fried foods...but instead I say, "Nah..I just need a little more fiber". 🤦

That's your opinion, zero issues in 85k miles with good UOA's I'm just wanting to bump up the viscosity a bit to better protect from the viscosity drop. I'm glad you had the time though for sharing a response.
smirk2.gif

in my new '16 Honda 1.5T diluter ran Edge 0/40 for the last 30 of 40k... son has it now doing the same at 52k running strong.

Originally Posted by adams355
Up to 5w40 in Australia even 15w40

Does Ford say you can use that in the Fusion/Mondeo 2.0L Ecoboost ? The manual for Ireland (obviously a different climate) says 5W-20 or 5W-30.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by adams355
Up to 5w40 in Australia even 15w40

Does Ford say you can use that in the Fusion/Mondeo 2.0L Ecoboost ? The manual for Ireland (obviously a different climate) says 5W-20 or 5W-30.

No 5w30 in warranty period, but 5w40 recommended by Aussie oil makers after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back