Which filter for next change: Purflux chevron vs MANN vs Manufacturer filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here for comparison are three filters. Two of the three are made by Purflux, a division of Sogefi.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

As can be seen from a quick visual inspection, both of chevron style filters are made by purfux and this is reflected on the filter cap:

The Purflux:

And the Manufacturers:

By looking it appears that whilst the construction is identical, the manufacturer has requested a thicker media be used that is visible where the two ends of the filter media meet.

To contrast with this there is the MANN which has the more traditional vercal pleats. Although the media used on the MANN seems very thin

My application is a 2.0 common rail diesel, I run a good synthetic 5W30 and change the oil every 10k ( which is half of the maximum service interval)

So, which filter would you be using and why?

1.jpg

Mann. It has softer end caps and the paper won't tear. In fact, I would use only Mann if I were in Europe. Or an OEM filter. Purflux is probably fine too. Just looks cheap.

Certainly "appears" the Purflux has more media than OEM, but obviously the only difference is the media. All 3 should work, but I would pick between the Sogefi and Purflux ones, and cut one of each open and stretch out the media to see which is bigger, and if manufacturer tells you if media is synthetic and/or micron ratings, pick the one that filters finer.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Certainly "appears" the Purflux has more media than OEM, but obviously the only difference is the media. All 3 should work, but I would pick between the Sogefi and Purflux ones, and cut one of each open and stretch out the media to see which is bigger, and if manufacturer tells you if media is synthetic and/or micron ratings, pick the one that filters finer.

I like the Citroen one myself
smile.gif

I think I agree with the sentiment here, the Purflux just looks like a cheaper version of the OEM.

I was unable to find any information relating to the micron ratings by any of the manufacturers unfortunately.

So it's between the MANN and the genuine OEM filter, shame as I bought a pack of 6 Purflux filters for £12 on eBay!

Out of interest, at the 10k miles interval I assume all filters will be absolutely fine. Perhaps the OEM filter is made using the thicker media as they claim up to 20k miles when serviced with genuine parts?

Interesting that Purflux doesn't just rebox the factory filter with the white pleats to use themselves
crazy2.gif

Does the PSA OE filter with the white media have a wire backing, or a plastic mesh?

I have seen Purflux-branded filters with the white media

Originally Posted by blupupher
Put all 3 boxes in a bag, mix it around, stick you hand in and use what you grab.
Any of them will be fine.

Exactly what I was going to say, but got beat to it.

Run any of the three - - there isn't any practical, real difference.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by blupupher
Put all 3 boxes in a bag, mix it around, stick you hand in and use what you grab.
Any of them will be fine.

Exactly what I was going to say, but got beat to it.

Run any of the three - - there isn't any practical, real difference.

Haha, that is the general impression I get. I was just curious if there was a view on the chevron pleated media. I've only encountered this style on my car's OEM filters (the fuel filter is the same too)

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Interesting that Purflux doesn't just rebox the factory filter with the white pleats to use themselves
crazy2.gif

Does the PSA OE filter with the white media have a wire backing, or a plastic mesh?

I have seen Purflux-branded filters with the white media

I've just double checked and there is no metal backing on the PSA OEM filter. As you say it appears to be identical except for the media.

I'm curious if for purflux's own filters they are using a cheaper media compared to what they are supplying the OEM with?

White media is usually synthetic. Wonder how old the standard purflux are. The media is flexible?Actually the zig zag pleats are longer but further apart so where is the advantage over the Mann? I would use the factory one without question over the others. By eye it's media looks thicker too. May be something pretty nice there.

From the pics it appears that you bought all three of these filters. I would use the one with the oldest date code first. No sense not using any of them if they still fit the vehicle and you still own the vehicle.

I would use the OE filter because I strongly suspect it is synthetic media based on the thickness and soft edges on pleats. Cut it apart when you're done with it and let us see if it has any sort of backing that can't be distinguished while assembled.

Not that I think theres anything really wrong with any of them...

Very interesting replies. I had not considered the synthetic vs cellulose possibility of the OEM filter.

Whilst I do own all three filters (and another 5 of the purflux ones that i bought as a pack of 6 on eBay) I am leaning towards the OEM one at the moment for my own car. I service a few cars in my family and at least two of them (a Mini and a Land Rover) also take this type of filter; so they won't go to waste.

Are there any easy ways to determine if the white OEM one is made of synthetic media?

Originally Posted by DrSmith
Are there any easy ways to determine if the white OEM one is made of synthetic media?

I have never seen a full synthetic media filter without a metal/plastic mesh backer. Synthetic media in not able to stay together otherwise.
Not saying if it has a mesh backer that it is synthetic, just if it does not have one it most likely is not synthetic (but could be a syn/cellulose blend)

Originally Posted by SteveG4
Use the filter with the straight media.
Crooked is just crooked.
cool.gif

Yes and you can't tell if something is wrong. Those others in my opinion are design to hide something that isn't going right!

How well can you actually see the backside of the media in the OE filter, the picture is too dark to tell.

Does it perchance look anything like this:

[Linked Image from rangerxlt.com]

I've just double checked and both the Purflux and the OEM contain a plastic structure in the middle.

I've Just checked and even the MANN contains a very similar plastic insert.

Last edited:
Ah ok, I tried to take a picture of the inside pleats but can't focus on them. The inner plastic tube is difficult to see through.

From my own visual inspection I can't see anything metallic.

In terms of the Mann filter the model of it is the HU 711/51x, the ‘U' denotes that the filter is metal free. Does that mean that the Mann will definitely be cellulose based?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back