93 octane not available. HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Marco620
You don't need that high of an octane at that high of an elevation

+1

Just use the highest octane available where you are. Can you get 91?

I noticed that some high altitude locations sell 85 as a base grade instead of 87.
I would also avoid using any aftermarket octane boosters without doing some research first, I did this once and was really unhappy when I looked up what was in the STP stuff I had bought. They also tend to do very little actual octane boosting...

91 will be fine
smile.gif

You could also use one of those octane boosters
27.gif

On a normally aspirated engine? Absolutely....... But his Zl1 is supercharged. Under max boost he may want 93 octane. No big risk as knock sensing is very protective these days.

Use the 91 and accept a bit of power loss at WOT.

California only has 91 octane at every elevation, sea level even. Those guys run 91 in their supercharged GM V-8s, Your tune may not need 93 octane or benefit from it.

Last edited:
You can buy VP unleaded racing gasoline (it's expensive - like $6 - $8 a gallon) in 5 gallon cans, and add some to each tank once you arrive at your home.

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
I have been buying Sunoco Race Fuel 260 GTX from Richmond Raceway...

98 Octane, no lead, no ethanol, no metallic additives...

One quart in 5 gallons 87, cheapest octane booster I can find...

https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel/260-gtx

Just curious, but what do you think you're really accomplishing with that mixture? From doing the math, 1 qt of 98 octane plus 19 qts of 87 octane to create a 20 qt (5 gal) mixture gives a final octane rating of 87.55. Since you're not raising the octane much at all, what's the point?

Originally Posted by DaleRider
Originally Posted by mattwithcats
I have been buying Sunoco Race Fuel 260 GTX from Richmond Raceway...

98 Octane, no lead, no ethanol, no metallic additives...

One quart in 5 gallons 87, cheapest octane booster I can find...

https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel/260-gtx

Just curious, but what do you think you're really accomplishing with that mixture? From doing the math, 1 qt of 98 octane plus 19 qts of 87 octane to create a 20 qt (5 gal) mixture gives a final octane rating of 87.55. Since you're not raising the octane much at all, what's the point?

Is the relationship between octane and chemical composition strictly linear?

I suspect it's not...

Originally Posted by DaleRider

Exactly what I was thinking.

To OP:
with a supercharger... are you going to still have less air at a higher elevation vs lower.. ?
I would think so.

also: unless they arent shipping your car to 1/3 the country(by population) 93 isnt absolutely needed.. just for max performance at sea level.

While most modern cars will be okay, I still wouldn't use 85 in anything fuel injected, naturally aspirated or not.

Op, manual does say you can use 91, but I wouldn't go any lower than that.

Use premium unleaded gasoline meeting ASTM specification D4814 with a posted octane rating of 93 — (R+M)/2. If unavailable, unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 may be used, but with reduced performance and fuel economy. If the octane is less than 91, the engine could be damaged and the repairs would not be covered by the vehicle warranty. If heavy knocking is heard when using gasoline rated at 93 octane, the engine needs service.

Owners manual says 91 octane is ok when 93 is not available. There are large areas where 93 octane is nowhere to be found, and particularly in the high mountain west.

Anyone else trying to figure out why this is in pcmo?

I lived in Wyoming and its 85,88,90 back then. Thankfully we had cooler temperature and thinner air; in the end it all evens out. Besides its winter now so there isnt going to be a big need for high octane fuel. He could go to Lowes/Home Depot as they sell 93 octane fuel for OPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back