Nokian hakkapeliitta lt3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for real world reviews on the new Nokian hakkapeliitta lt3. I'm interested in how they would compare to the other popular snow tires like Cooper, General, Mastercraft and Hancock. I currently run the Mastercraft MSR but I will be replacing them for next season. I would like to gain some performance on hard packed snow and ice, without losing the digging ability I currently have in deep snow. Everything I plow is steep, and I often have to back through several inchs to over a foot of snow. In doing some research I read several people reported losing studs and a lack of deep snow performance with the older lt2 hakkapeliitta. I'm interested to hear what the lt3 is like, and if these problems were simply myths with the lt2 or if they were corrected with the lt3

I've never owned Nokians. I have heard much good about them but they are pricey. I use a studded General Altimax Arctic on all corners of two of my vehicles and some Chinese studded snow tires an all corners of a third vehicle. The General's work well on glare ice and deep snow both, especially with studs. The cheap Chinese tires are as good except on dry roads above 60 MPH I have a slight vibration and high noise levels of a droning sound. I recommend the Altimax with studs. I imagine the Nokians are equal or better but at 2-3 times the price. At least they used to be for the hakkapeliitta 8's.

Last edited:
I've owned 2 sets of Nokian, but not the Hakka as I don't have a situation calling for that kind of traction where I live.
If I were to need any serious snow tires the Hakka would be the ONLY tire I'd consider.
You can even get them with 2 different type of studs, should you need it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sloinker
I do remember one other thing about Nokian. A few years back when a consumer test on tires was being held. The Nokians were outstanding but later found to be "one-offs" used only for the test and the actual consumer available tires were mid pack at best among their peers. So a dis-honest company doesn't make me feel real happy.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/nokian-tire-manufacturer-admits-cheating/

In the past, Continental and Pirelli have also been guilty of this.

Since winter finally seems to be coming, I just got done bolting my factory studded Hakkapillitta 8's on that I bought new last year for my Camry. Only have about 2000 miles on them, and there were many chances to try them out last winter. They were okay, but I was pretty disappointed coming from Blizzaks. They didn't have the grip I was expecting on ice. They were unpredictable, because they seems to go from good traction, to no traction. If you drive them easy they work pretty good, but if you push it just a little the studs lose their grip, and turn into ice skates. You can really feel it if the ABS kicks in, and you gain speed. They are supposed to be the newer quiet studs, and they are far from quiet. Already had them on the car twice now, but with a long dry spell I had to put the summer tires on so I didn't have to listen to them howling on dry pavement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NHRATA
I'm looking for real world reviews on the new Nokian hakkapeliitta lt3. I'm interested in how they would compare to the other popular snow tires like Cooper, General, Mastercraft and Hancock. I currently run the Mastercraft MSR but I will be replacing them for next season. I would like to gain some performance on hard packed snow and ice, without losing the digging ability I currently have in deep snow. Everything I plow is steep, and I often have to back through several inchs to over a foot of snow. In doing some research I read several people reported losing studs and a lack of deep snow performance with the older lt2 hakkapeliitta. I'm interested to hear what the lt3 is like, and if these problems were simply myths with the lt2 or if they were corrected with the lt3

Compare to those, they will be better in snow.
I have Hakka R2 on Tiguan, and had WR D or G3 or something like that in Europe on BMW some 10-11 years ago and after two strikes, I am done with them. IMO, definiately step down from Continental, Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli etc. In snow theya re fine, and ice. In everything else they are mediocre.

Last edited:
Can't say about the LT3 in particular but in general all 4 sets of Nokians I have had have been great. Hakk Qs that I ran on my Audi and my Miata, could tell crazy stories. Put a set of WRG3's on my girl's AWD Element, she liked those so much that she demanded a set for her new RDX after one snowstorm. Just put a set of Hakk R3s on my RDX; great so far. The Hakk Qs were used on two different cars across 5 winter seasons and had plenty of life left at that point.

Nokia are made in Finland, where they know some things about snow. The General Altimax Arctic is also a scandanavian-derived design, using (iirc) Gislaved Nordfrost molds.

Originally Posted by porterdog
Can't say about the LT3 in particular but in general all 4 sets of Nokians I have had have been great. Hakk Qs that I ran on my Audi and my Miata, could tell crazy stories. Put a set of WRG3's on my girl's AWD Element, she liked those so much that she demanded a set for her new RDX after one snowstorm. Just put a set of Hakk R3s on my RDX; great so far. The Hakk Qs were used on two different cars across 5 winter seasons and had plenty of life left at that point.

Nokia are made in Finland, where they know some things about snow. The General Altimax Arctic is also a scandanavian-derived design, using (iirc) Gislaved Nordfrost molds.

They also have a plant in Russia. And a new plant in the USA.

All of my Nokians have been made in russia so far.

Thanks for the replies, apparently nobody out there is using the lt3 yet. Hopefully someone will chime in before the end of the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back