Need help maintaining Jeep only driven 2x/year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I have a new maintenance project that I'm unsure how to tackle. I have a heavily modified 2003 Jeep Wrangler wrangler whose future is to be trailered to off-road parks probably 2x/year. I suspect the maximum speed this jeep will now ever see is 30 mph, and that it will have less than 30 miles total/year driven. It's unlikely that the Jeep will ever see streets again.

I'm familiar with how to maintain vehicles when they are driven regularly, but I'd like some suggestions for this new maintenance project. Could someone suggest to me the things I should do?

Thanks!

-kehyler

I'm sure it's going to be worked hard during those few miles. I'd probably use a good conventional oil with a Wix/NAPA Gold filter and change it annually. Again, that's just me...I'm sure you could change it every other year and be just fine.

Keep rodents and mice out of the interior, and away from the wiring harnesses, cowl air intake, and engine air filter. I ruined my mercedes the 2nd winter I owned it by parking it where mice could get in, and pee.

If you're somewhere humid, the brakes may rust up badly. My plow truck sits in the woods and the brake disks are fine, all summer long, somehow.

My fuel hasn't gone bad, and, on these low tech cars, the battery's been fine, too. I'd put a shutoff switch on your battery though.

You could change your oil every five years with your usage. Maybe do it when your air filter needs it, in case you get a lot of dust wherever you're wheeling.

Adding 2X Stabil to the gas is Priority #1.

Oil is good for 5 years with that kind of useage. Disconnect battery between runs. Keep it protected from invading critters.

Did I mention adding 2X Stabil to the gas is Priority #1? Far and away.

-stabilize the fuel
-keep it on a battery maintainer
-keep rodents out

-I'd do a yearly oil change interval with conventional 10w30 and a good filter. The driveline fluids all depend on where the Jeep goes offroad. If it is doing mostly rock climbing in dry environments, then the fluids can stay in there longer. If there is a lot of mud and water fording, I would change them every year since water will get into the transmission, transfer case, and differentials.

The Jeep will likely be kept outside - does that mean keeping rodents out is next to impossible?

I'd fill the HVAC system and interior with dryer sheets (the strong smelling name brand ones), and change them out periodically. I've had great luck with this in equipment, and also have a few friends who have had good luck with it in their antique cars that don't get driven often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back