OLM triggered after 1,573 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OLM is becoming a total annoyance in my 08 Liberty, the title says it all. I know how to reset it, so that is not the issue. Driving conditions remain the same. It went from overly optimistic to an annoyance. I had my Jeep tech buddy check the system, no problems that he could see w/o really wasting a bunch of time on it. Bottom line is I will continue to ignore it as I have from day one. That is my only complaint in 12 years of ownership of the Liberty, so I guess it's all good.

My 04' Colorado first went on at 11.3K.... after I already done three oil changes.
2nd OLM blinking flash went on about 10-11k later.
3rd went on about 10-11K later
See a pattern there?

This old Colorado body design dates to an either Isuzu or Nissan origin. The Nissan Frontier still uses it. The engine is a 3.5 five banger. Not sure of it's original design and manufacture. So the Colorado's OLM acts / behaves differently than most-all other OLMs in the 2004 Chevrolet/GM lineup.

So your OLM in that Jeep may have an origin from Europe / Fiat and behaves differently too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
My 04' Colorado first went on at 11.3K.... after I already done three oil changes.
See a pattern there?

This old Colorado body design dates to an either Isuzu or Nissan origin. The Nissan Frontier still uses it. The engine is a 3.5 five banger. Not sure of it's original design and manufacture. So the Colorado's OLM acts / behaves differently than most-all other OLMs in the 2004 Chevrolet/GM lineup.

So your OLM in that Jeep may have an origin from Europe / Fiat and behaves differently too.

I hear ya, but I see zero logic in a 1,600 mile OCI, when under the same conditions it would trip at +/-5 times that, or more. LOL

I think my GM's reflect the mix of short trips for odds and ends and maybe a road trip per week. Ballpark of 7k …
Even so, just changed one at 6k since it was 9 months and oil jugs R us right now …
(Ok, and it was 65F that day, ...Ž)

See a pattern there?

Isuzu co-developed it with GM.

See a pattern there?

That 1st generation Colorado is a partnership between GM and Isuzu. Isuzu, later, released an I-series pickup truck that was same as the 1st generation Colorado. Those sales performed poorly for them. The 2nd generation I don't see any connection to Isuzu. Nissan had nothing to do with this and the Frontier is not based on the 1st generation Colorado chasis.

Last edited:
I had 3 GMT355's … 3.5/3.7/5.3 … the 5.3L OLM was probably the best …

Originally Posted by demarpaint
The OLM is becoming a total annoyance in my 08 Liberty, the title says it all. I know how to reset it, so that is not the issue. Driving conditions remain the same. It went from overly optimistic to an annoyance. I had my Jeep tech buddy check the system, no problems that he could see w/o really wasting a bunch of time on it. Bottom line is I will continue to ignore it as I have from day one. That is my only complaint in 12 years of ownership of the Liberty, so I guess it's all good.
You could ask someone about it at the service department of your Jeep dealer. Don't know for sure if they would be willing to talk about it, let along talk about without them checking it out first. Secondly, is there a forum for Jeep Liberty? If you are having this problem, likely others are too that you could learn from.

Our 08 Liberty's oil monitor was a straight up 5,000 mile counter. They made a lot of changes in the 08 version, ours had a lot of niggling problems and has been traded. Glad yours has been trouble free! How many miles now? Ours had almost 160k.

Demarpaint,

How long in months does the oil light come on after 1600 miles? Could you reset the computer by disconnecting the battery wires and holding them together (not sure if that would do anything for you), but I would try it.

I like GM,s oil life monitor. If I didn't have one, I might keep track of how many times I fill the fuel tank. Maybe change oil every 15 times.

I had an 09 Routan which was just a town and country and it did the same thing. I'd change it with qsud and the olm would trip within 2k. I tried shell clean engine and ran the car to Florida and back and didn't trip until around 4k. There was no rhyme or reason but more often than not it was always on. Luckily no one was hurt but when that thing was totaled it was good riddance.

Originally Posted by JLTD

Our 08 Liberty's oil monitor was a straight up 5,000 mile counter. They made a lot of changes in the 08 version, ours had a lot of niggling problems and has been traded. Glad yours has been trouble free! How many miles now? Ours had almost 160k.

I'm at about 80K miles now.

Originally Posted by NH73
You could ask someone about it at the service department of your Jeep dealer. Don't know for sure if they would be willing to talk about it, let along talk about without them checking it out first. Secondly, is there a forum for Jeep Liberty? If you are having this problem, likely others are too that you could learn from.

My friend is an A tech at a Jeep dealership. He did a quick check for me, no problems he could see with his scanner. I could make an appointment at the dealership he works at and have him dig in, but I'm not about to waste money on it. He agreed. I've ignored it since day one, I just found it interesting what's going on with it.

I belong to a Liberty forum, I searched the archives and didn't find anything. I could ask there and see what they say.

Originally Posted by JC1
Demarpaint,

How long in months does the oil light come on after 1600 miles? Could you reset the computer by disconnecting the battery wires and holding them together (not sure if that would do anything for you), but I would try it.

It went 9 months once, this time it was just under 3 months. I do the procedure outlined in the owner's manual for the reset. I might disconnect the battery cable if this happens again. That might act as a hard reboot. I'll run it by my friend.

Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back