Would you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to guess that is about $24 an hour when you factor in the insane number of hours a busy fast food manager has to put in.

Originally Posted by supton
No thanks--pay not good enough for the work involved (going by what I assume, and what is related here about it).

I've held good paying salaried white collar jobs most of my adult life, at least since my 30's. One particular job I had for a multinational company doing consulting work involved extensive travel overseas to the Asia - Pacific region. At one point during the nearly 10yrs i spent with them i was out of the country (US) more than i was in it. I was literally renting a condo for my cat (was single at the time). I had a Chinese girlfriend in China and a Taiwanese gf in Taiwan.. and closer relationship's with my Asian clients than my HS buddies back home. I got tired of it all.. the pay, the benes and traveling experience just wasn't worth it. I had no life outside of work essentially. I quit that job and changed careers and started a family. I've never quite made what i was making doing the traveling consulting work but I'm much more happier and have 2 great kids now.. something i never would have done/had, had i continued on doing that.

Needless to say, I know managing a fast food restaurant is not for everyone and may be right for the right person, but $100k isn't nearly enough to get me to do it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by skyactiv
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Pay sounds about right, Im surprised the story says SOME managers and not all.
After all, an entry level high school student can make a min of $31,200 at McDonalds or Amazon

I doubt the average McDonalds franchise is paying the girl at the drive thru window or the pimple faced boy on the grill $15 an hour. 15X40X52 is $31200.00

Your right, I am wrong, only Amazon is $15 an hour minimum wage.

I dont eat fast food, used to many years ago, never again. Its cr@p, health care costs in the USA would plummet if all the fast food places were shut down.

Last edited:
I'd say TB is responding to the challenge of recruiting and retaining quality staff at high cost locations in a booming economy...and someone in PR capitalizing on it; "Look what we're doing (paying current local market rates for quality staff)! Win/Win!

Wouldn't take the job for 2x that...

I believe the real issue here is that it's probably not a regular 40 hour a week job. So the effective hourly rate is much lower. I'm sure if it was a regular 40 hour a week job at a 100k salary, there'd be no problems with people taking it. Plus I'm sure that if you're in a busy store, you're working all the time.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Does this mean they'll get my order right?🤔

When I was 19 I became an asst. mgr of a KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken back then). I actually made pretty good money at the time for an 18yr old but the hours were horrendous. I had to "close" every other night, which meant not leaving until past 11pm to do all the paperwork and taking a bag full of cash to the bank night drop - not fun. I often got called in to work for the 16yr olds that "no showed" - often that meant doing a double and because I was "mgmt" there's no OT pay.. you're basically married to your job, no thanks. I lasted 1yr then decided I was going to go to college, but it was good work experience though. (learned some basic acctg and mgmt skills)

Taco Bell Article
[Linked Image]

No, not worth the trouble.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I believe the real issue here is that it's probably not a regular 40 hour a week job. So the effective hourly rate is much lower. I'm sure if it was a regular 40 hour a week job at a 100k salary, there'd be no problems with people taking it. Plus I'm sure that if you're in a busy store, you're working all the time.

Yep. Don't forget working night, holidays, weekends, double shifts when people call in sick, dealing with terrible employees and nasty customers, working in crap neighborhoods, etc....

Nope.

Worked is the hospitality business for years. Including YUM Brands when they were with PepsiCo.

Still have some of their stock...bought a share a week.

Don't miss it at all but understand and can sympathize with what GMs go through.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Yep. Don't forget working night, holidays, weekends, double shifts when people call in sick, dealing with terrible employees and nasty customers, working in crap neighborhoods, etc....

Exactly. It can be used as a pump and dump to segue into a better career that may have less pay, though. That's what I'm doing. Dealing with a bunch of mess so that I can take some cush $40-60k a year position doing something that doesnt involve a bunch of mess, once I solidly pour the foundations of the lifestyle I want.

^^Bingo^^

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by supton
No thanks--pay not good enough for the work involved (going by what I assume, and what is related here about it).

I've held good paying salaried white collar jobs most of my adult life, at least since my 30's. One particular job I had for a multinational company doing consulting work involved extensive travel overseas to the Asia - Pacific region. At one point during the nearly 10yrs i spent with them i was out of the country (US) more than i was in it. I was literally renting a condo for my cat (was single at the time). I had a Chinese girlfriend in China and a Taiwanese gf in Taiwan.. and closer relationship's with my Asian clients than my HS buddies back home. I got tired of it all.. the pay, the benes and traveling experience just wasn't worth it. I had no life outside of work essentially. I quit that job and changed careers and started a family. I've never quite made what i was making doing the traveling consulting work but I'm much more happier and have 2 great kids now.. something i never would have done/had, had i continued on doing that.

Needless to say, I know managing a fast food restaurant is not for everyone and may be right for the right person, but $100k isn't nearly enough to get me to do it.

Yep, not for me.

I could see doing what you did, way back when I was younger, to build experience and perhaps have a bit of "fun". But eventually I'd want to cut back to a normal 40 hour per week job. Heck as I get older I wouldn't mind working even less, now that I have a nice house and the kids are nearly grown up, it'd be nice to be home a bit more.

Maybe someone doing this job could do it for a year or two, save their money, bail when they can. Or stick with it if they like it.

That job will likely be automated eventually. Fast food of the future will be more like filling up the vending machine facing the customers, and feeding ingredients into the assembly line in the kitchen. Heck, maybe when drone delivery is ready they'll just fly drone around to drop off the food instead, or fly drone into the fast food dock and offload ingredients to make the food you get from the drive through.

For $100k this is a dead end career, it might be ok for a couple years but you want a job on the automation side to take advantage of the trend.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
That job will likely be automated eventually. Fast food of the future will be more like filling up the vending machine facing the customers, and feeding ingredients into the assembly line in the kitchen. Heck, maybe when drone delivery is ready they'll just fly drone around to drop off the food instead, or fly drone into the fast food dock and offload ingredients to make the food you get from the drive through.

For $100k this is a dead end career, it might be ok for a couple years but you want a job on the automation side to take advantage of the trend.

Management will always have a job until society collapses. People want to assault other people not robots. Management and customer satisfaction employees facilitate this need.

You mean like the automat?

https://www.thoughtco.com/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-automat-4152992

There's still too much about food preparation that is variable (like what toppings do you want on your sandwich) for fully automation but the restaurant industry won't be immune forever. Mgrs do more than just flip a burger...they gotta balance the books at the end of the day for example. So i would not say it's a "dead end" job just yet..but someday, when the engineers and futurists do the problem solving necessary for machines to do those non cookie cutter like activities, yeah there will be less humans working in the back of the restaurant.

Fwiw, i recall reading an article about the impending automation and innovation boom/revolution looming on the horizon that will put millions of people in the service industry out of work. (drones making delivery ring a bell?). Won't be able to blame that one on immigrants, that'll be American CEO's looking to cut labour costs by implementing machines and software that puts people out of work. It's already happening, go look at an Amazon distribution warehouse, you'll see machines picking and packing orders. Far cry from the production company i worked at when i was 19 stuffing software manuals in a box on an assembly line.. and there's not a darn thing we can do to stop it.

If people aren't willing to adapt by gaining new skills or consider career change, they're going to get left behind. Plain and simple.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 02SE
Would I be willing to manage a Taco Bell for 100k a year? Absolutely, if I didn't have better options.

One does what one must but all things considered, that's a rough gig even for a 100k/yr.

Well, one thing I'm jealous of is the suicide rate of restaurant GM's. It's only like 20 / 100,000 people. That leads me to think maybe it's not all bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back