One for the wagon lovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by maxdustington
The worst of both worlds: Long body of a truck or SUV with the visibility of a car.

Best of both worlds: Interior room and cargo capacity of an SUV. MPG and handling of a car.

Seriously. Holds more than most crossovers and drives like a sedan. People forget that tall vehicles brake a lot more slowly too.

VW isnt building a 2020 sportwagen but they are pumping out a lot of 2019s to sell, so theres plenty to choose from still. The tourX much harder to find.

I happen to think this one is pretty nice...

[Linked Image]

That is sharp.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I happen to think this one is pretty nice...

[Linked Image]

That is sharp.

I happen to think this one is pretty nice:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JOD
Love the Wish! They comprise almost most all of the taxis here in Taiwan, at least in Taipei and Taichung. Pretty sure last year was the last year for production though.

You move a lot...

is just warmer weather or Anything to do with bikes?

What happened with your Classic Toyota wagon?
Also, just for giggles, would you try a freestyle other engine/Duratec transplant?

P.S. I have 2 wagons: VW GSW and a mini-minivan Mazda5 (cough cough Mazda3 with 2.5L old-style engine)
The Tourx around me is rare and has not come to my magic #s,... $15k.
And I just re-registered the salvage Mazda5, so I need it for 1-2 years to recover costs.

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by JOD
Love the Wish! They comprise almost most all of the taxis here in Taiwan, at least in Taipei and Taichung. Pretty sure last year was the last year for production though.

You move a lot...

Also, just for giggles, would you try a freestyle other engine/Duratec transplant?

P.S. I have 2 wagons: VW GSW and a mini-minivan Mazda5 (cough cough Mazda3 with 2.5L old-style engine)
And I just re-registered the salvage Mazda5, so I need it for 1-2 years to recover costs.

I'm here just very part-time (yes, bike-related) , though I have to say looking at the current weather in Seattle I'm glad to be here now!

I ended up selling the 88 Camry wagon to another wagon enthusiast. I was over 300K on the clock when I sold it, and it's still on the road. It's still one of my favorite wagons, though the GSW is up there--and a lot nicer in the creature comfort department.

A Focus Estate with a reliable transmission would be killer. I'd be a great contender against the Mazda 3 and I'd seriously look into one.

Originally Posted by Pew
A Focus Estate with a reliable transmission would be killer. I'd be a great contender against the Mazda 3 and I'd seriously look into one.

Yeah, it's a bit hard to capture the scale of the Mondeo wagon pictured earlier, but it is definitely a bit bigger than the Focus wagon--which looks great as well: https://www.motor1.com/photo/4097842/2019-ford-focus-st-wagon/

Made the wagon switch recently - we are going to drive these into the ground because we love them so much. Now that VW is exiting the market guess its gonna be Volvo time if either comes to an early demise.

[Linked Image]

I really liked our Olds Ciera wagons-an '85 3.8 and '90 3300. Both had the 440 4 speed overdrive trans and loaded cars with fully instrumented dashes. They were a very good mix of power, mileage, driveability and were reliable for us over many years. The tin worm finally had their way in the end.

Originally Posted by jhs914
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Beautiful.

But...
I remember seeing them in 2005-2006 as rentals and I was thinking because of the high door line + small windows space, especially in the back, the visibility is kind of low.
The same as the smaller Chevy HHR and Chrysler PT Cruiser

So, The Ford Focus Wagon or Saturn wagons or the VW Jetta or Golf Wagens had better visibility.

P.S. it is crazy how some internet posts, started a fashion trend and the prices are still way up for these....

Originally Posted by Bud_One
Originally Posted by ctechbob
..because everyone has to have an SUV, even if it is more impractical than a wagon. I've spent the last year trying to talk my wife into letting me get her a TSX Sportwagon...nope, wants a CRV.

Same here , Wife is wanting a vehicle bigger than her 16 Civic , I suggested a TSX wagon and a Buick Regal TourX , no dice.

She Wants a big van or SUV.

Acura TSX wagon is not that much bigger then Civic and has a cramped cargo hold. I was not impressed at all with vehicle when wife tried out used and new CUVs/wagons in 2018. Regal TourX was decent but dealer(went on own) was obnoxious/outdated and made grave error of suggesting to get your husband permission to purchase it. She was a wagon lover with 2005 Legacy GT (250HP turbo aka WRX engine) manual she picked/bought on her own.

She was in the air between VW Sportwagon/AllTrack manual but then tried a VW Tiguan and won over.

Originally Posted by JOD
Originally Posted by JOD

You move a lot...

I'm here just very part-time (yes, bike-related) , though I have to say looking at the current weather in Seattle I'm glad to be here now!

I ended up selling the 88 Camry wagon to another wagon enthusiast. I was over 300K on the clock when I sold it, and it's still on the road. It's still one of my favorite wagons, though the GSW is up there--and a lot nicer in the creature comfort department.

JOD, just curious how you see the Buick TourX/Opel insignia estate US variant? (AWD wagon)

To me it looks like the Dodge Wagon from last recession...
Thank you

Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by Bud_One
Originally Posted by ctechbob
..because everyone has to have an SUV, even if it is more impractical than a wagon. I've spent the last year trying to talk my wife into letting me get her a TSX Sportwagon...nope, wants a CRV.

Same here , Wife is wanting a vehicle bigger than her 16 Civic , I suggested a TSX wagon and a Buick Regal TourX , no dice.

She Wants a big van or SUV.

Acura TSX wagon is not that much bigger then Civic and has a cramped cargo hold. I was not impressed at all with vehicle when wife tried out used and new CUVs/wagons in 2018. Regal TourX was decent but dealer(went on own) was obnoxious/outdated and made grave error of suggesting to get your husband permission to purchase it. She was a wagon lover with 2005 Legacy GT (250HP turbo aka WRX engine) manual she picked/bought on her own.

She was in the air between VW Sportwagon/AllTrack manual but then tried a VW Tiguan and won over.

I can't remember from your posts, but did back seating for 3 come into criteria?

JOD, just curious how you see the Buick TourX/Opel insignia estate US variant? (AWD wagon)

To me it looks like the Dodge Wagon from last recession...
Thank you

I like it quite a bit. It's larger than I need right now, but if I needed the space it would definitely have been on my list. The one consideration with a rare and out of print car though is insurance cost. I just have collision on my Freestyle, but collision coverage on it is actually higher than my Golf R? I have to think the fact that they only made the car for 3 years has something to do with that.

That said, there are new ones that are 10K off of list. If I were looking for a wagon right now, I'd definitely consider it. I've driven the Opel version and it's quite nice.

Some more unobtanium for the US market:

8...Uiu9PCd_3vk3hZMomEobhNSdk=w1931-h1124-no

I can't really decide if it's a large hatchback or a small wagon?

And of course, the ubiquitous VW Touran, but in R Line trim:

n...aIgdcT-HK8n1zoCFCkill0py0=w1567-h1175-no

Given US tastes, I understand why wagons are dead here--but I do think there would be a market for the compact vans that are over here. Granted, Ford's not killing it with the Transit Connect, but there's also zero marketing push for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back