Reusing Fram Ultra Synth. Oil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Bought and installed a FRAM Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter (XG3614) my last oil change which was 5k miles ago. I'm in college so I won't be driving much, probably up to 5k mi a year. I'm doing my oil change next month and I was wondering if it would be okay to reuse the filter as it claims protection to 20k mi. Assuming I empty the oil from the filter each time, would I be fine using the filter up to 15k mi?

Fram Ultra is fine for 2 or 3 OCIs. However, you will potentially cause lots of leaking/sealing issues if you remove the filter to empty it. Leave it on. Go 2x oil changes and you'll be fine.

Running for 2 oil change intervals is cake for the Fram Ultra. As others have said, leave the filter on for both intervals. To not remove and attempt to reinstall.

Originally Posted by NYSteve
... you will potentially cause lots of leaking/sealing issues if you remove the filter to empty it. ...
Which never happened even once in the many times I removed and reused spin-on filters.

Draining a spin-on filter with a functional anti-drain-back valve is tricky.

Whether one drains the filter or not, no harm will come of using the Ultra 15k miles or more, IF the engine isn't clogging it with abnormal amounts of crud.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Don't empty the oil filter, just refresh the crankcase. You will be fine.

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ This, right here. ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑..................and you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by FirmTofu
Hey guys,

Bought and installed a FRAM Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter (XG3614) my last oil change which was 5k miles ago. I'm in college so I won't be driving much, probably up to 5k mi a year. I'm doing my oil change next month and I was wondering if it would be okay to reuse the filter as it claims protection to 20k mi. Assuming I empty the oil from the filter each time, would I be fine using the filter up to 15k mi?

Great to see a college kid taking good care of their equipment. An easy way to save yourself a couple bucks and it just makes you feel good.

Check back anytime you have questions or a problem. Many knowledgeable members here for advise on cars and life.

Originally Posted by FirmTofu
Hey guys,

10-20% of the used oil remains in your engine and you now want to put new oil through a used filter. I would contact Fram directly and take their advice. Let us know what they say.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Don't empty the oil filter, just refresh the crankcase. You will be fine.

THIS ^^^

The filter is rated for 20 k miles, using " old ... " oil. It will be even happier working with new oil ...

I must be the only one in this thread that drains the filter. The CRV in the sig thats my first time reusing the filter this OCI. If you oiled the gasket both times, and no signs of wear on the gasket it should be A-OK.

Over cautious people, over worrying that some how a VERY heavy duty oil filter seal will some how leak if it is taken off and used again. I have 3 cars in my family and 3 friends in a car club where we all use Fram Ultras. Of the 3, one has 2 cars in his family. Second guy has 4 cars and the other guy has 2 cars. We all use Fram Ultras for 2 oil oil changes with the exception of one car in the group that gets a new filter every change.

We all pull our filters and drain them and we all use different items to open the silicone anti- drain back valve. I use a 1 sided wooden Q-Tip back end. Another guy uses empty ball point pen clear ink tubes. The other guy uses the back end of small drill bits. You lightly push open the valve just so it cracks the seal at the 12 o-clock hole and one at the 6 o-clock hole. And it drains right out. Fill the old filter up with oil like you do with a new one and hand tightening like a new one. We have been doing it like this for 10 years now with absolutely no issues. The have people in their friend sphere that do it too that I don't know. No issues there either. More FUD from worry worts in all of opinions.

The only time I would worry about the oil filter gasket is if was sitting exposed to the full days sun light for more then 2 years, then I will worry. Of course it is your car and you can do what you want, but you guys who think an oil filter gasket is that fragile, are nuts.

I keep Fram Ultra filters on for 15,000 - 18,000 miles, just refreshing the crankcase at certain intervals. No problems.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Taking off the filter and draining it - then reinstalling it, is fine. I've done it for almost 20 years now, with no leaks.

I've done it a few times too. No leaking issues. Having said that the few times I did it I was the person who installed the filter the first time, and I never gorilla tighten them.

Late to this one, but there's multiple post-use anecdotes on the oil filter subforum of Ultra/XG being run 2 or more ocis up to 20k mi. Just finished 2 years 11.5k miles on an XG7317 myself.

As for removing filter to empty each time, best practice says to leave the filter in place. Removal and reinstall increases possibility of a compromised sealing gasket, the more times the greater the chance. Is it possible to get away with removing it to empty and reinstall, as anecdotal comments here show, yes. As long as you're aware of the possible risk, and willing to assume it, your call.

Are you running synthetic like those found at walmart? Think of it this way, most walmart synthetics are good for 10K miles (easily) with many UOA across many vehicles to prove it. In your case, you are not running the oil for a single 10K mile run but refreshing most of it at 5K and continuing the run. I have never herd of someone running a 10K OCI and changing the oil filter at 5K unless that had a really cheap one on there. a 20K filter (even cheap ones could make 10K in a pedestrian application) has not problems running this.

So when you look at it (remove and drain vs not) is really a silly argument. Save yourself a mess and leave it on.

Last edited:
Some vehicles have a very small filter so the old oil in the filter will have less of a impact on the new stuff.

On my Mazda the filter is smaller than a coffee cup.

Leaving it on to save time and mess is where I am on this.

Also, isn't there a slew of engine builders which recommend leaving a filter in place for 2 OCI's? A better quality filter is step one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back