Any 0w-30 oil users?

Status
Not open for further replies.
0w30 AFE in the RX last summer as we took a long road trip through the mountains up to Tahoe FULLY LOADED, lots of Central Valley CA driving too in hot July weather loaded down, so it made sense in my OCD mind

I have run M1 0W30 AFE the past couple of winters...I don't think I really NEED it, but I figured what the hey as it's on the WM shelves around here and I have had to start my car at -20F or a bit lower on a couple of ski trips in my time. Had 5W30 in the car both times and it got the job done, but using a good 0W30 makes me feel a little better in the winter.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I have run M1 0W30 AFE the past couple of winters...I don't think I really NEED it, but I figured what the hey as it's on the WM shelves around here and I have had to start my car at -20F or a bit lower on a couple of ski trips in my time. Had 5W30 in the car both times and it got the job done, but using a good 0W30 makes me feel a little better in the winter.

"A good 0W-30"

I would think ALL 0W oils are probably really good, by nature of the base oils that need to be used to formulate this grade.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Originally Posted by geeman789
In Arizona, why are you considering any 0W oil ... ? 0W oils are designed to work well in extreme COLD temperatures, like -20F and colder. Pretty sure you don't see temps like that, EVER.

Your climate was made for an old school 10w30. Adequate cold weather pump ability, with less risk of shearing down a grade.

It's easy to think of Arizona as a very hot place, and much of it is. But, don't forget, Arizona also has elevations of over 12,000'. So, a 0W-30 is actually great for the varied temps there, without many downsides.

Not only that, but there are 0W-30's that actually hold up better than 5W or 10W-30s due to the use of higher quality base oils that are necessitated in their formulation (ie: higher viscosity index).

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

I agree. While people quote the CCS limits, I feel sorry for the engine when getting anywhere close to those temps. Yes, it will start, but it's so much smoother with 0w30. Got it in my Burb.

Back IN 2000-2004 I used Amsoil 0W30 in my children's cars when they were in college, once a year oil changes. This was in Richmond VA so hot summers, fairly mild winters. No complaints on the oil. If I lived in a harsh winter climate I would definitely be using a 0W 20 or 30.

I used to run 0w-30 in my Subaru that calls for 0w-20, because I heard about a lot of burning issues around the time I got it.

I worked for an airline for many years and the airline only purchases 15w-40 Rotella for their ground equipment which included brand new vehicles calling for 0w-20. After those trucks had a few years of running 15w-40 in all climates I really stopped to worry about viscosity and just use 5w-30 for everything calling for 0w-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back