Multiple car magazines no longer published

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer print magazines over digital, however like someone said I cant really relate to most cars printed now. I absolutely love the Hagerty magazine I get the membership to their drivers club, I regard it as one of the best out there today. My father subscribes to a bunch and always looks forward to the Hagerty I drop off.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
I subscribed to Motor Trend for thirty some years because it carried very well written technical articles and new products, but the magazine changed and I finally couldn't relate to the vehicles they wrote about. Now I won't even take their $6.00 a year offer. Not for me anymore guys.

I agree....all the car magazines write more about $100K+ cars than those that most of us buy...

How the [censored] can anyone read a magazine on their phone? It has to be torture, not something enjoyable like it's supposed to be. An ipad, whatever that is, I'm assuming it's like a notebook computer, isn't much better especially when viewing photos on such a small screen.

Astro14, is Peter Egan still writing and publishing? I really like his style. I used to read his work in Road&Track. I miss his regular column. Is he still actively writing and being published in a motorcycle magazine?

I for one would be glad to hear your story of the tour of the offices of Automobile magazine.

Originally Posted by atikovi
How the [censored] can anyone read a magazine on their phone? It has to be torture, not something enjoyable like it's supposed to be. An ipad, whatever that is, I'm assuming it's like a notebook computer, isn't much better especially when viewing photos on such a small screen.

You honestly have never seen an iPad?

Reading a magazine on an iPad (a good one, recent, not early) with a high-res display is easier than in print.

Scientific American, for example, enhances photographs for their digital version and has additional details/features that the print magazine lacks.

Maybe you should stop by an Apple store and pick one up...

Originally Posted by Astro14

You honestly have never seen an iPad?

Reading a magazine on an iPad (a good one, recent, not early) with a high-res display is easier than in print.

Scientific American, for example, enhances photographs for their digital version and has additional details/features that the print magazine lacks.

Maybe you should stop by an Apple store and pick one up...

Even iPad mini is fine.

I hate the ones that "enhance it", just give me a useable way to flip the pages like an actual magazine.

I'm not an Apple fan and have never been in their stores. I like leafing through the pages where I can quickly get to page 85 rather than scrolling on a computer.

Old man shakes his cane, yelling at the clouds!

Hmm, Apple sold 12 million iPads last year. Next time, you're at a mall with an Apple store drop in and have them demo one for you. My IPad screen measures 5-1/2 x7-1/2 inches. Here's what's cool; you can expand any photo in the "magazine" to the full size of the screen. Also you can expand the print. Try that with a paper magazine. I have a couple of years of Car Craft stored plus several others, totally over 50 issues. How's that for bathroom reading.

Its all about the advertising. On almost all the ads in the digital version you can click on their ad and go directly into their website. Now compare that with a single picture in a magazine.
smile.gif

I have magazines going back to the early 80's. A couple from the 70's.

Cycle
Cycle World
Cycle guide
Motorcyclist
Sport Rider
Superbike
Performance Bikes
Fast Bikes
Bike
Fourwheeler
4wheel & Off-road
4wd & Sport Utility
Car & Driver
Automobile
MotorTrend
Road & Track
Car Craft
Hot Rod
National Dragster

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few...

Anyway, I Have a room dedicated to the collection. I just don't care for reading magazines on a computer or other device. I like to hold that paper magazine in my hands.

Apparently, I'm the exception in the marketplace.

Well they owe me 1yr 5months worth. I don't have a "eye" pod or LiL" I pod stuff. I still have a flip phone. Please don't tell me to update, ain't gunna happen. My own simple thought here is fraud and stealing. They offered this subscription, I bought it, now they just up and cancelled it. I'll call Monday and see what is what.

Most of them were niche titles even during the best of times, as part of Petersen's stable. Today, they stand no chance.

Automobile is a bit more of a surprise, but when R&T, the other "lifestyle" car rag, has about double the circulation, ~500k, the white flag went up.

C/D and MT can still duke it out at 1M+, but all would be in serious trouble if Weathertech and Tire Rack decided to cut back on print advertising.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Wolfshead
Recently received my last issue of Mopar Muscle after 20 years of subs. (Ten Pubs.)

Mopar Action is still around.

I used to work for Source Interlink about 20 years ago as a kid, delivering magazines. I just read and that business closed and was absorbed by TEN.

The business has changed quite a bit. We used to service 20-40 supermarket checkouts per store, and load them with magazines.

I don't see this level of periodicals anywhere, except maybe an airport bookstore.

We would also service two large aisles in the grocery store, packed with books and magazines.

The magazine displays in central Texas, are probably a quarter of what they were on the east coast 15 years ago.

Times may have changed. I subscribe to a few paper magazines for restroom reading mostly, and get them from an online discounter. I probably pay no more than 5-10 dollars for a years subscription.

I used to do the standard magazines of Car & Driver, Road & Track, and Motortend, but eventually cut back to just Car and Driver. But I haven't had C&D for years. I don't really have any subscriptions anymore. You can basically read them all online. Same as CDs, haven't bought any for years and the last car I bought 5 years ago had a 6 CD changer which I've never used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back