Recent Topics
Shell Rotella gas truck oil change intervals?
by gtrplr71 - 01/19/20 07:12 AM
Ford Focus belt idler puller bolt ?
by rkpatt - 01/19/20 06:51 AM
Havoline 5w20 $1.72/quart
by Villalobos - 01/19/20 05:42 AM
Amazon 5qt PUP 5w-20 $16.24
by Matt1980 - 01/19/20 03:42 AM
US Miltary News - F22
by ZeeOSix - 01/19/20 03:09 AM
OEM to Ravenol
by graphine - 01/19/20 02:38 AM
D905 Brake Pads: Bosch vs. Centric vs. Akebono
by The Critic - 01/19/20 01:55 AM
Dodge dart running issues after filling up fuel
by ram_man - 01/19/20 12:58 AM
Akebono ProAct brake pads now include hardware
by The Critic - 01/19/20 12:43 AM
16 Audi S3 G13 Coolant - 40,500 miles
by agpatel - 01/19/20 12:43 AM
BMW “G3” Axle Alternatives?
by E365 - 01/19/20 12:20 AM
Scan Tool recommendation
by zmelli - 01/18/20 11:57 PM
Keyless Entry Help Needed
by DeafBrad - 01/18/20 11:55 PM
75/140 owners manual vs 75/90 tag
by BigGee - 01/18/20 11:36 PM
toro super recycler with b&s engine HomeDepot
by passgas55 - 01/18/20 06:43 PM
75w140?
by mpack88 - 01/18/20 06:00 PM
Are all 9012 bulbs HIR2?
by dvancleve - 01/18/20 03:30 PM
Ariens L-3 Synthetic Severe-Duty Gear Lube
by Astro_Guy - 01/18/20 02:04 PM
LSx Crank lock
by P10crew - 01/18/20 02:03 PM
ST9688 gasket
by Farnsworth - 01/18/20 01:26 PM
Newest Members
madjid, michWB, Brianhefty, JimBremer, Katdaddy
70471 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
75 registered members (4WD, 53' Stude, 12CruzeEcoAt, AndyB, aircooled, 4 invisible), 1,519 guests, and 24 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics300,307
Posts5,172,890
Members70,471
Most Online3,728
Jan 11th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Old fuel addy #5320254 01/11/20 08:49 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 3,379
M
Mad_Hatter Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 3,379
Ok, riddle me this...

Both my LTFT's on B1 and B2 have historically been around +4~6%, sometimes as high as 8, at idle since I've been over 150k miles on the clock. Just today i plug in my obd2 and i see them sitting at 11 and 12. They do drop to or close to zero under load. Now initially I'm beginning to think vacuum leak..but a quick check (wiggle) of the hoses i can get to doesn't reveal anything (no drop in %, it's fairly static). So dunno..i guess i gotta take a more in depth look-see tomorrow but here's my question below..

2 things are different in the last few weeks from months past...a) i stopped and filled up at a non top tier, mom and pop station because well, I had too. I found myself in bfe around the backside of Mt st. Helen's recently needing gas and didn't want to chance running out. And b) i used up an old, opened bottle of fuel ST motor cleaner I used on my OPE this last summer. I thought the bottle was tightly closed but when I dumped it into the tank i noticed there was a yellowish color to the fluid (i think it's supposed to be clear) and plastic pour spout. I dumped it in anyways ignoring better judgement but now I'm wondering if there was gum or varnish forming?? Is this possible? Or is it possible the unknown quality of the fuel i picked up, either one is clogging an injector, pump, filter or something in the fuel delivery.. because nothing under the hood has changed and all my hoses appear to be in good shape/fairly young in their service.

I just don't wanna start pulling crap off if i can avoid it (TB has to come off just to check the pcv and brake booster systems/hoses) if there's a chance i just inadvertently introduced something into the fuel system and maybe it's nothing a good strong cleaner can't resolve... thoughts?

(not one but both banks simultaneously jumped to double digits lean %, no CEL or pending..so maybe a fuel clog/restriction??)

Last edited by Mad_Hatter; 01/11/20 08:51 PM.
Re: Old fuel addy [Re: Mad_Hatter] #5320280 01/11/20 09:22 PM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 927
T
tiger862 Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 927
I would run something like Techron in tank with TopTier fuel then check.


Tiger862
2018 Grand Caravan
Re: Old fuel addy [Re: tiger862] #5320344 01/11/20 10:18 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 3,379
M
Mad_Hatter Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 3,379
Originally Posted by tiger862
I would run something like Techron in tank with TopTier fuel then check.

Have you seen or heard of bad fuel or bad additives doing this? My limited experience with high LTFT's has been cause by vacuum leaks.

That's kinda what I'm leaning towards. I've got about 12gls to burn through, then I was thinking of running some Techron concentrate or B12 with some Shell or Chevron gas or maybe even the 76 i USUALLY go to. Really irks me that i didn't plan my trip ahead better and had to fill up at a backwoods station. Who knows, maybe it's not that. It's just such a PITA troubleshooting a vacuum leak on this car, as half of what you would check involves removing pretty much the entire intake just to get to the pcv hose, back half of the egr hose, brake booster hose and you can't properly check the plenum (back side) because of how tight it is up against the firewall.. sounds stupid but you pretty much have to take the plenum off to confirm a vacuum leak with the plenum gasket but then it's off so if course it's a leak duh! But at minimum everything to the intake plenum has to come off to do a half way decent job of checking for a leak. Thing is, is i haven't monkeyed around under the hood lately so I'll be a bit surprised if it's a VL but i guess ya never know when/where one can develop. Not exactly what i wanted to be doing with snow forecast to start Monday and no covered area to work. (I have a garage but it's full of crap)

Last edited by Mad_Hatter; 01/11/20 10:26 PM.
Re: Old fuel addy [Re: Mad_Hatter] #5320346 01/11/20 10:24 PM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 193
O
OilReport99 Online Content
Online Content
O
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 193
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by tiger862
I would run something like Techron in tank with TopTier fuel then check.

That's kinda what I'm leaning towards. I've got about 12gls to burn through, then I was thinking of running some Techron concentrate or B12. It's such a PITA troubleshooting a vacuum leak on this car, as half of what you would check involves removing pretty much the entire intake just to get to the pcv hose, back half of the egr hose, brake booster hose and you can't properly check the plenum (back side) because of how tight it is up against the firewall.. sounds stupid but you pretty much have to take the plenum off to confirm a vacuum leak with the plenum gasket. But at minimum everything to the intake plenum has to come off to do a half way decent job of checking for a leak. Thing is, is i haven't monkeyed around under the hood lately so I'll be a bit surprised if it's a VL but i guess ya never know when/where one can develop. Not exactly what i wanted to be doing with snow forecast to start Monday and no covered area to work. (I have a garage but it's full of crap)


Mine is fuller of crap!

Try Redline SI-1

Re: Old fuel addy [Re: OilReport99] #5320350 01/11/20 10:29 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 3,379
M
Mad_Hatter Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 3,379
Originally Posted by OilReport99

Mine is fuller of crap!

Try Redline SI-1

😂..i keep saying, "this spring I'm gonna clean things out".. been saying that for years now. I could prolly make a killing having a garage sale if i weren't so lazy.😂

I'll look into the Redline... I've always used Techron but maybe this is a good opportunity to try out the Redline. 👍

Re: Old fuel addy [Re: Mad_Hatter] #5320384 01/12/20 12:09 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 66
L
LvR Offline
Offline
L
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 66
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Ok, riddle me this...

Both my LTFT's on B1 and B2 have historically been around +4~6%, sometimes as high as 8, at idle since I've been over 150k miles on the clock. Just today i plug in my obd2 and i see them sitting at 11 and 12. They do drop to or close to zero under load. Now initially I'm beginning to think vacuum leak..but a quick check (wiggle) of the hoses i can get to doesn't reveal anything (no drop in %, it's fairly static). So dunno..i guess i gotta take a more in depth look-see tomorrow but here's my question below..

2 things are different in the last few weeks from months past...a) i stopped and filled up at a non top tier, mom and pop station because well, I had too. I found myself in bfe around the backside of Mt st. Helen's recently needing gas and didn't want to chance running out. And b) i used up an old, opened bottle of fuel ST motor cleaner I used on my OPE this last summer. I thought the bottle was tightly closed but when I dumped it into the tank i noticed there was a yellowish color to the fluid (i think it's supposed to be clear) and plastic pour spout. I dumped it in anyways ignoring better judgement but now I'm wondering if there was gum or varnish forming?? Is this possible? Or is it possible the unknown quality of the fuel i picked up, either one is clogging an injector, pump, filter or something in the fuel delivery.. because nothing under the hood has changed and all my hoses appear to be in good shape/fairly young in their service.

I just don't wanna start pulling crap off if i can avoid it (TB has to come off just to check the pcv and brake booster systems/hoses) if there's a chance i just inadvertently introduced something into the fuel system and maybe it's nothing a good strong cleaner can't resolve... thoughts?

(not one but both banks simultaneously jumped to double digits lean %, no CEL or pending..so maybe a fuel clog/restriction??)

I dont know if you meant to say STFT there .................. wiggling on stuff on the intake will not immediately show a change in compensation values - you need to be looking at STFT while wiggling - LTFT will only adapt on a sustained trend change reflected on the STFT.

Your description of the actions leading to the jump in LTFT (if indeed it was directly as a result of that and not a trend that developed recently as result of something else changing anyway) will have me drive and empty the tank - fill with known fresh fuel and see if you get a "return to historically normal" LTFT after a few 10s of miles driving both cold and hot

Re: Old fuel addy [Re: LvR] #5320388 01/12/20 12:35 AM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 3,379
M
Mad_Hatter Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 3,379
Originally Posted by LvR
I dont know if you meant to say STFT there .................. wiggling on stuff on the intake will not immediately show a change in compensation values - you need to be looking at STFT while wiggling - LTFT will only adapt on a sustained trend change reflected on the STFT.

Your description of the actions leading to the jump in LTFT (if indeed it was directly as a result of that and not a trend that developed recently as result of something else changing anyway) will have me drive and empty the tank - fill with known fresh fuel and see if you get a "return to historically normal" LTFT after a few 10s of miles driving both cold and hot

You're right..i overlooked that fact (wasn't thinking straight). Well, i need to do a proper look at each hose if it turns out to not be the fuel.

I'm actually pretty regular about using my obd2 but for whatever reason i became lazy the last several months but I can say i last looked at FT's maybe October/November and they were where they normally are.. nothing unusual. The O2's right now seem to be behaving fine, switching like they should so I'm doubtful it's a lazy/dirty sensor...so that leaves what, fuel and vacuum. When i did the spark plugs a couple years ago everything had to come off so i took that opportunity to inspect the hoses and all seemed good. No obvious cracks or abrasions at the typical wear points like at bends and connections..but who knows, right?

Re: Old fuel addy [Re: Mad_Hatter] #5320392 01/12/20 12:55 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 66
L
LvR Offline
Offline
L
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 66
If STFT at idle and warm engine is varying around 0 by relatively small numbers I'd say the ECU is in control of the animal ............... you just need to define the animal - Id also check on coolant temp values - if its really running cooler (thermostat) or thinking its running cooler (sensor) then you are par for the course

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™