Big day today and hit a milestone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is the day I donated platelets for the 114th time. The shortage in the panhandle of West Virginia/east Ohio and southwest PA is real I'm told. The blood donation place has not met demands lately lady friend told me. I used my right arm this time and all went well, although my veins are much better/stronger in my left arm. Enjoying water and a nice steak from the grill since it's still 67F here
smile.gif

Good job mate. I've started donating myself around 2 years ago, going for platelets each time. Was supposed to donate in December but had a surgery for ACL reconstruction so will have to put it on pause for now. Enjoy the steak and all the best.

Originally Posted by parshisa
Good job mate. I've started donating myself around 2 years ago, going for platelets each time. Was supposed to donate in December but had a surgery for ACL reconstruction so will have to put it on pause for now. Enjoy the steak and all the best.

Thank you and Thank You as well Spasm3
smile.gif

Yeah, I will do it as long as I'm healthy and keeping my weight down and blood psi stays good since I lost lot of weight.

Kudos to you 53' Stude!

Originally Posted by blupupher
I used to donate all the time, I know over 5 gallons, but about 10 years ago, I just stopped after having a few bad apheresis donations.
I need to start doing it again.

Can you elaborate a bit on the 'bad' part?

I am O- and recently learned that I am CMV-. I've been donating since my college days (many decades ago) and have begun to make apheresis donations.

I am O- and recently learned that I am CMV-. I've been donating since my college days (many decades ago) and have begun to make apheresis donations.

You are like a unicorn. Thank you for your gift of life. Having a 12yo son battling Leukemia for the last two years, I can guarantee your donations save lives.

Originally Posted by Variant_S
Originally Posted by blupupher
I used to donate all the time, I know over 5 gallons, but about 10 years ago, I just stopped after having a few bad apheresis donations.
I need to start doing it again.

Can you elaborate a bit on the 'bad' part?

The last 3 times I got very faint, diaphoretic and felt horrible during the process, twice they had to stop before completely finished, and the final time I was really close to vomiting and felt horrible for 2 days after.
I had been doing it for well over 7 years every 2-4 months with only 1 issue in that time. After 3 times in a row (and the final really bad one), I decided to take a break from it, just have not gotten back into it.
I don't recall if they were all the same donation type (platelet, double platelet, plasma, etc), or different, but I had had enough.
I have donated whole blood once since that time with no issues.

I do need to start again, and my daughter just turned 17, and she says she wants to donate (she used to come with me to the donation center and watch), and can if I go with her, so I may as well (may just do whole blood though).
I am A+, so not a huge demand for my blood type (but still needed, I know).

I would love to donate blood, I give you people mad props. Unfortunately, no blood bank wants mine. I smoke cigs, weed, work around chemicals, etc etc. I totally understand, they want the purest stuff possible. I don't see how my blood is any worse than anyone else's all things considered, but it makes sense. I probably wouldn't want a transfusion of my own blood either!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back