Oil Honda Goldwing

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 decades of reports on the goldwing show that it is one of the longest lasting motors there is.
it is very Very VERY easy on oil.
to the point that you could pour light sweet crude in and it will run just fine for 100k miles
the only true way to hurt this motor is to drain the oil and drive it off a cliff into the ocean and recover it in 5years

in short:
use anything you want in it. it will out live you

Last edited:
I was just surprised that Motul 300V came out worse than Motul 7100. Also AMSOIL came out poorly in these tests.

Originally Posted by Sportage333444
I was just surprised that Motul 300V came out worse than Motul 7100. Also AMSOIL came out poorly in these tests.

No oil comes out worse or better. The data is worthless and even when tested more carefully there is no statistically significant difference between any of the results.

You can use Supertech conventional 5w-30 if you want. You'll probably only get 3 or 4 million miles out of the engine though. Any oil you mentioned will be outstanding. Pick one, change it once a year, and be done with it.

Originally Posted by Clayslayer
You can use Supertech conventional 5w-30 if you want. You'll probably only get 3 or 4 million miles out of the engine though. Any oil you mentioned will be outstanding. Pick one, change it once a year, and be done with it.

No, that has friction modifiers in it and can cause clutch slippage.
Supertech HDEO 15w-40 would work though.

Supposedly it has harmful friction modifiers, I would be interested to know where anyone has run a 10w 0 automotive oil in their bike and can definitively see they had clutch slippage.

I've heard the friction modifier argument for years, and don't see a need to use anything in Xw30 even if it was MC specific so it would never be an issue for me regardless. Just curious if there is definitive proof though.

If those friction modifiers exist, the BITOG community should have been able to discern what the compounds are long ago and be able to test for them. Nothing is that secret or hidden in the shadows.

I have a question about Motul 300V oil.
I reviewed many forums about the Motul 300V and nowhere can I find information why it cannot be used on street bikes by keeping it in the engine for a year.
Please provide facts why it is not recommended to use it on touring bikes. What happens to this oil for a year.
If this is an oxidation problem, no such information is used anywhere. On the forums there is incomplete information saying that it can not be used for large mileage and it should be changed every 3000km. I ask why.
Please, let me know why this is so.

Thank you

I have a question about Motul 300V oil.
I reviewed many forums about the Motul 300V and nowhere can I find information why it cannot be used on street bikes by keeping it in the engine for a year.
Please provide facts why it is not recommended to use it on touring bikes. What happens to this oil for a year.
If this is an oxidation problem, no such information is used anywhere. On the forums there is incomplete information saying that it can not be used for large mileage and it should be changed every 3000km. I ask why.
Please, let me know why this is so.

Thank you

^^ Good posting! ^^

I have posed the same question, somewhere on BITOG is a response from Motul that they recommend shorter oil change intervals with 300V, and I think people have taken that and run with it and repeated it.

However I have not seen the evidence to support that with respect to used oil analysis.

I grew up in Kansas but Missouri was right next door. I would not be opposed for someone to "Show Me" either.

Below is an analysis I found on the forum. Oil seems to have plenty of TBN left and there's no evidence that could not have been run much longer.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bonz
^^ Good posting! ^^

No, it's not, not when this is the third time he's asked the same question (and seemingly ignored the answers).
At this point he's just copying/pasting his post, like another user we know.

With respect to the original poster. I see where he's coming from, thus the good post remark. I haven't seen a cut and paste in this thread, however is he doing that in other places? If so then it's going overboard on that.

There are good answers he has been given, saying to give it a try, and most see no reason not to use it in a street bike. However I am curious why Motul themselves would recommend it for a shorter oil change interval and he's simply looking for the facts showing he can run it longer when the manufacturer has said folks shouldn't.

There aren't many UOA's on this site using that oil for a longer interval. I found one and hope that sets him on the path to giving it a try or just go with something else. The Goldwing is notoriously gentle on oil and personally I would go with something conventional and call it a day.

Originally Posted by Bonz
I haven't seen a cut and paste in this thread

Maybe not a literal copy/paste, but he's essentially asking the same question over and over.
Not even a 'thanks guys, I'll give it a try and report back later'.

However I am curious why Motul themselves would recommend it for a shorter oil change interval

Wouldn't that be a question for Motul? Why not call them up and see what they say? But TBH I think unless you actually speak to one of their engineers, you'll probably just get some generic marketing non-answer answer.

P.S. I don't see any warnings on their Web site about using 300V in a street vehicle for regular OCI's. Even the technical data sheet says 'Other uses: street bikes with catalytic converters...'

found one and hope that sets him on the path to giving it a try or just go with something else.

Twenty bucks says he'll be back in four months with the same question.

Thank you for your answer
I thought you could learn everything about oil in this forum. I am asking for Motul 300V because in my country it is available at a good price. I was looking for UOA about Motul 300V but I found only two analyzes. In other forums, everyone recommends for a short OCI, I'm interested in why. What is wrong with this oil, that you have to change it often why.
I thought it was a technical forum and I would get a very professional answer. I called the Motul engineer in Poland and he recommends Motul 300V oil to Goldwing. However, an engineer in the UK no longer recommends this oil. So I'm asking what's going on.
If I get an answer, I won't be asking this question anymore.
I'm sorry but I thought the forum was to get answers and learn.
Thank you

Thank you for your answer
I thought you could learn everything about oil in this forum. I am asking for Motul 300V because in my country it is available at a good price. I was looking for UOA about Motul 300V but I found only two analyzes. In other forums, everyone recommends for a short OCI, I'm interested in why. What is wrong with this oil, that you have to change it often why.
I thought it was a technical forum and I would get a very professional answer. I called the Motul engineer in Poland and he recommends Motul 300V oil to Goldwing. However, an engineer in the UK no longer recommends this oil. So I'm asking what's going on.
If I get an answer, I won't be asking this question anymore.
I'm sorry but I thought the forum was to get answers and learn.
Thank you

I wouldn't listen to what other people say as its all just well meaning thoughts.
This is what I would do and how I choose.
I mean, Motul and Goldwing give you your answers to your questions, so why rely on thoughts of others? I would think, Motul and Honda have much better equipment to test oils then anyone posting in a forum.
Add to that, Honda built the engine.

There is no holy grail of oil, it all does the same thing, so pick the oil type recommended by the maker of the engine, its that simple. You like many others, think if oil is made a certain way and costs much more money that its a better oil. Nonsense and Honda says so, even Motul says so. You have a Goldwing, its not a race bike on a race track, use the proper oil, Motul if you wish, for the bike.
Motul clearly states on their website the the Motul 7100 is the oil that meets the requirements of your engine, so why would you choose a race oil like the Motul 300v that doesnt?

Your looking to do the best for your motorcycle but you are ignoring facts, and the facts are you should choose and use the proper grade of oil recommended by Honda, not someone in a forum.
Motul CLEARLY states which is best and here are the links. Clearly the 7100 has the proper certifications for your engine and clearly the 300v does not.

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/7100-4t-10w40--3

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/300v-factory-line-road-racing-10w40

Now what was the question???? *L* :eek:)

Last edited:
I want to weigh in on this. First), any mfgr will always recommend their brand of oil for any vehicle they sell. 2)nd, and premium brands of aftermarket oil will always say their oil is perfect for your vehicle. The truth is thousands of bikes run, and run well and last a long time on oils not "recommended" by the mfgr. That's a fact. Some will even say to use diesel oil if their brand isn't available. If it's ok to do that, why wouldn't they just recommend a motorcycle specific oil from any mfgr?. The dealers know fear will make you buy Their oil. And sales hype will sell oil for the aftermarket oil mfgrs. For most oil companies Motorcycle oil, is a sideline product they sell. I'm not saying their oil is bad, just that they know they couldn't exist on just the sales of motorcycle oil. But they make it because it takes just a minor formula change to go from car oil, to bike oil. My suggestion if to find the Uoa's on a few different brands of oils that people use in bikes like yours. Then, look how they held up for full oci's, then pick the ones that are easily available for you. The cheaper the better.,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back