0w40 in a 2.0 ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom has a 2014 Fusion with the 2.0EB and after the factory fill it received Mobil 1 0W40 for every fill except for one when they put in Motorcraft 5W30 full syn, and the latest one that has Castrol Edge 0W40. I don't really do any UOAs but the oil is changed every 5K miles with a Motorcraft FL-910S filter.

Maybe slightly less responsive.. What will a 40wt give you that 30 won't.
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tig1
welcome2.gif

Honestly I'm looking for more protection from fuel dilution, I've been running amsoil SS 5w30 and at 15k miles it's time for change due to fuel dilution knocking the oil into a thin 20w. I want to see how the 40w holds up and if it does well I may try the amsoil European car 5w40 improved.

The longer you have any oil in your Ecoboost, the more fuel dilution that you will have. Use a 5W30 on the thicker side and change at 5,000 miles.

The Amsoil might be a extended use oil but only if the engine it's in will allow it.

I agree on the 5k oci.

Mobil 1 0w40 FS is BARELY a 40 grade oil, at 12.9 cSt. Even Pennzoil Euro 5w40 is on the thin side, being 12.8 cSt at 100*C. A 30 grade oil is between 9.3 and 12.4 cSt at 100*c.

... Maybe slightly less responsive.

You most likely won't be able to tell the difference between the oils ...

If you really want thicker, step up to a 5w40 diesel oil like Rotella T6 or Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel. These will be in the 14 cSt range.

Not sure you really need that though.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I'd keep an eye on how much calcium goes in an EcoBoost

^He is right you know......

Sure, give it a whirl. A 40 is probably specified somewhere else in the world for the same engine. Agree that it's probably a good idea to watch the calcium as mentioned above by 4WD, you wouldn't want to have an LSPI event. I would go with an oil that specifically addresses LSPI.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The Amsoil might be a extended use oil but only if the engine it's in will allow it.

I agree on the 5k oci.

That's way too short especially since the OCI is 10k per the manual

All of Amsoil's SS protects 100% from LSPI, allegedly. I've had zero issues with the SS line in the 85k miles we've owned it.

Originally Posted by BigShug681
welcome2.gif

Honestly I'm looking for more protection from fuel dilution, I've been running amsoil SS 5w30 and at 15k miles it's time for change due to fuel dilution knocking the oil into a thin 20w. I want to see how the 40w holds up and if it does well I may try the amsoil European car 5w40 improved.

Wow, you get 15k before it shears back to a 20w oil. My 2.4L Ecotec GDI knocks into the dirt after only 2.5k miles using Amsoil SS 5w-30. Feel fortunate you get the extended drain interval. Back in the 90's, I could easily get 20-25K per OCI with basic Bosch Port Injection system on my 280ZX.

What is your fuel dilution on your UOA's and how often do you test?

I agree on the 5k oci.

Well going to a 5w40 is not in your manual either it sounds like....

Who cares about it being too short... If you have to go up to a 40.... That oil may be low viscosity even at 7,500 miles... That manual may well be wrong about going that long to begin with. .

I agree on the 5k oci.

So you cite your owners manual in defense of a higher oci but ignore the owners manual recommendation (10k) in doing 15k mile drain intervals. Now that's what i call having it both ways! ...‚

Here's a novel idea; do a 10k mile run on your fave 5w30 and do a uoa w/fuel dilution and let that guide you. If it shows you're out of grade, bump it up. If not, stick with it. Easy peazy, lemon squeezy...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole
welcome2.gif

Wow, you get 15k before it shears back to a 20w oil. My 2.4L Ecotec GDI knocks into the dirt after only 2.5k miles using Amsoil SS 5w-30. Feel fortunate you get the extended drain interval. Back in the 90's, I could easily get 20-25K per OCI with basic Bosch Port Injection system on my 280ZX.

What is your fuel dilution on your UOA's and how often do you test?

The last UOA I did showed somewhere around 6% I want to say I tested a few times to get a base line and about 15k is as far as I can push it

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

I agree on the 5k oci.

So you cite your owners manual in defense of a higher oci but ignore the owners manual recommendation (10k) in doing 15k mile drain intervals. Now that's what i call having it both ways! ...‚

Here's a novel idea; do a 10k mile run on your fave 5w30 and do a uoa w/fuel dilution and let that guide you. If it shows you're out of grade, bump it up. If not, stick with it. Easy peazy, lemon squeezy...

I have done UOA's, one was posted on here even and at 15k miles it had like 5-6% dilution and was in the 20wt range. So here we are, bumping it up, to a 40wt and seeing what happens.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

I agree on the 5k oci.

I have done UOA's, one was posted on here even and at 15k miles it had like 5-6% dilution and was in the 20wt range. So here we are, bumping it up, to a 40wt and seeing what happens.

You seem to be dead set on disregarding the owners manual recommendation...why isn't going back to a 10k oci with a thick 5w30 an equal consideration? Especially given it's in line with what's in the owners manual. I mean seriously, are you so busy that doing one more oci every 2yrs gonna cramp your style? If so, might i suggest ditching the dyi thing and consider using a Valvoline Ctr if you're that busy...The way i see it, the UOA @15k isn't saying "you're good, you just need to go up a grade" rather it's telling me, "you've pushed it too far.. you outta consider turning it down a notch".

But hey, that's just me.. your car, you do you. M_H out..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back