Honda V6 AISIN TKH-002 Timing Belt Kit – My review

I'd be leery of buying stuff off eBay or Amazon from a 3rd party - those places are known harbors for fake goods.

The O'Reilly Gates belt looks different compared to the eBay one.

One is older with older packaging.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Sayjac

Still wondering if the Gates belt made in Japan from O'R is equivalent to or same as the Gates Unitta belt? Just updated box?

The newer Gates box from O'Riley's has all the same clues as my earlier Gates box. One just needs to connect the dots, e.g., -> UNITTA - MADE IN JAPAN

40457466110_95ab08fb04_c.jpg

Looking around the web, the only way I can find for the general consumer to buy a 197YU20 UNITTA stamped timing belt is to fork out the bucks at the Honda parts counter. The pic below is the same timing belt that was factory correct for my 2006 Accord. I can't get a good pic of my original timing belt stamping because the stamping is all but warn off, camera won't pick it up.

41542340674_51908cf523_c.jpg

On a side note, I find it interesting how the OEM Honda branded UNITTA belt appears to come packaged in a plain sealed plastic bag when the Gates rep I spoke to on the phone today listed off an original "box" preferably not stored on it's side, and not bent or crimped. So how hard is it to properly store to Gates standards a bunch of loose leaf in a bag Honda OEM timing belts?

28391169588_1fba81e93f_c.jpg

^^^^^^ Thanks for the reply, basically what I had concluded. Just didn't want to 'assume', as you know what that word can imply when broken down into parts.

Edit: 2007 Honda Pilot

So, I don't mean to hijack the thread (well....I guess I kinda do), and I know this convo ended in May, but I thought i would give it a try.

I'm on a student budget and just paid for tires and a timing belt tensioner (which I did myself along with adjusting the valves). Now i'm trying to figure out if my timing belt is old. Here's a photo of the print on the back of the belt.

What are the chances this was replaced 10k miles ago? The other alternative is 115k miles ago (aka it's the original belt).

IMG_20181009_182048.jpg

IMG_20181009_181958.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 9oreos

So, I don't mean to hijack the thread (well....I guess I kinda do), and I know this convo ended in May, but I thought i would give it a try.

I'm on a student budget and just paid for tires and a timing belt tensioner (which I did myself along with adjusting the valves). Now i'm trying to figure out if my timing belt is old. Here's a photo of the print on the back of the belt.

What are the chances this was replaced 10k miles ago? The other alternative is 115k miles ago (aka it's the original belt).

Not to worry about hijacking. It's a great question.

I was actually able to capture something with my phone. This belt has 115k on it. Other than the printing wear which is no big deal, this belt still looks perfectly serviceable to me. In fact, my Maintenance Minder has yet to ask for a timing belt or valve adjust service and I'm now approaching 120k.

Anyway, if the assumption on the date code is correct, my original belt could be 39th week of 2005, my car being a 2006 model year...
[Linked Image]

Does the maintenance minder include the schedule for replacing the timing belt? It's not a "smart" system that determines the belt condition either. All the Hondas we've owned just spells out when to change it in plain text, not buried in with all of the other maintenance items in the table they usually use.

Is it really possible to judge the belt's lifespan by looking at it?

You can see the shiny surface & the rolled edges......It's been in service for awhile!!

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Does the maintenance minder include the schedule for replacing the timing belt? It's not a "smart" system that determines the belt condition either. All the Hondas we've owned just spells out when to change it in plain text, not buried in with all of the other maintenance items in the table they usually use.

Is it really possible to judge the belt's lifespan by looking at it?

Yes, spark plugs, timing belt, water pump and valve adjust come under Maintenance Minder sub item "4".

Not sure how "smart" the Honda Maintenance Minder was in 2006 but it may very well have the ability to gather information based on driving conditions and calculate service intervals based on that?

I get what you're saying. I've been driving Honda's for almost twenty years now and understand that maintenance items were historically spelled out in the manual based on time/mileage. When I took delivery of the car at 115k I was uneasy not having these items done so I immediately started taking care of them irregardless of what the Maintenance Minder said or didn't say. I will say that I was impressed at how good the long life spark plugs still looked and again I didn't see any clear signs the timing belt was clearly on it's way out; cracks, exposed cords, etc. Granted, I am glad I did the maintenance but I did come away thinking that perhaps the Maintenance Minder has it all under control.

[Linked Image]

Great write up. Aisin kits are excellent! It's my preferred go to, even the belt (no concerns).

FYI - anyone ever hear of a Honda 3.5 timing belt breaking? Bearing or water pump failing? If so, at what mileage and surrounding condition of engine? Severe overheat will kill lot's of stuff.

Based on looking at/replacing timing belts and supporting parts on >50 Honda 3.5s (in Texas), all the parts look almost new at 150K (which is when I recommend my customers to replace TB and all supporting parts). No belt cracks, bearings like new, water pump tight/no seeping coolant and cam/crank seals not leaking.

Oil leaking on timing belt will impact reliability so resolve leak and replace parts ASAP.

I understand, Honda recommends 8yrs/105K whether the vehicle is in the Sahara desert, Antartica, or middle America. Essentially, environment impacts reliability (like oil leaking). Do what makes sense based on circumstances.

IMPORTANT - the hydraulic tensioners can begin to leak and cause timing belt to flutter at cold start up as early as 100K miles. If you experience this, you could just change tensioner (unless > 130K miles) or do complete service ASAP.

Hope this makes sense and provides some insight on Honda timing belt systems.

Originally Posted by GemStater

Not to worry about hijacking. It's a great question.

I was actually able to capture something with my phone. This belt has 115k on it. Other than the printing wear which is no big deal, this belt still looks perfectly serviceable to me. In fact, my Maintenance Minder has yet to ask for a timing belt or valve adjust service and I'm now approaching 120k.

Anyway, if the assumption on the date code is correct, my original belt could be 39th week of 2005, my car being a 2006 model year...
[Linked Image from farm2.staticflickr.com]

Hate to bring this up, however after seeing this I am wondering if have a belt produced in 2007? The picture of the 2006 model year accord with the 2005 production date timing belt makes me wonder how Honda had the belts coded after 2010? did they start over with 1 or 01 with the belt code. Maybe the "Blue" belts vs "pink" belts are the answer. I have emails in to Honda and Gates.

70783282_2847901468561942_3995956062309056512_n.jpg

11 Jan 2020

Can't believe what great timing this post is for me. I just found it and read all the comments and checked out the photos. Great posting to begin with.

I'm at the point where I an planning on replacing the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, tension roller, idle roller, and the power steering serpentine belt.
Supposedly my Tensioner is leaking and needs to be swapped out for a new one. This is from the "Service Writer" at the dealership.

I don't see any leaks and there is nothing on my garage floor to indicate that there is a fluid drip of any kind. The front end of the tensioner is actually covered by the timing belt cover so I don't know how he determined that ??

The estimate for this repair at a dealer service department including the parts I've listed (except the serpentine belt) has come in at almost $1,000.00 for parts and labor. I was told that the tensioner is covered under my extended warranty but not the labor to replace it ? That makes no sense at all. I was also told that it was my cost to tear the front of the engine down enough to change the tensioner. Wow !!

So I contacted my favorite non dealer repair shop for a quote. They will get me out the door for $706.00. They want to use an AISIN kit from NAPA -$265.49. I would still have to get a serpentine belt on my own and just give it to them.

They said that I could buy my own parts and they would install them for me for $418.00 for labor. However, they will not guarantee the parts if I buy them instead of them. I can get the kit on my own for $178.39 @ Amaz..., so I'd save $88.10 doing it this way.

I'll have to check with the shop to see exactly what their Guarantee is..
This is a job that I could do if I really wanted to but it would take me a lot of time and I'm not getting any younger.

This posting shows what to expect and suggests a Mitsubishi belt for the power steering. Good to know.

So thanks for the post and I'll see what happens when I get additional info.

Keats
Phoenix

cool.gif

Thanks for the post. I reviewed this a few weeks ago.

I replaced the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and serp belt on my J35 Ridgeline between Christmas and the new year. I used Honda parts from my dealer, whose parts manager I have an excellent relationship with. I debated using a Continental kit, or maybe an Aisin, but went with Honda.

One thing I can't help but notice on the Aisin kits is that the water pump casting is obviously different. It may only be the nature of the sand or mold they use, but the texture is visibly and obviously different, and of course the impeller looks like it may be made from a different material. I have no idea whether these will make the slightest difference to someone who changes timing belts and water pumps every ~105k as Honda recommends, but they're examples of obvious differences between Honda parts and aftermarket.

Maybe next time I'll decide to save myself some money and buy an aftermarket kit or parts as I was considering this time. I'll think about that in a few years, I guess.

1/14/2020 Tuesday

I searched for the OEM Genuine Honda parts all over the web. Contacted a few on line Honda Service Departments for the parts using the correct Honda part numbers. The cost was very high.

After seeing how much Honda wanted for this repair and / or the parts alone, I decided to go with the AISIN kit. The mechanic that I'm going with next week has a former Honda mechanic on staff.
I spoke with him and he assured me that he's been putting AISIN kits into Hondas for a while and has not had one come back due to a failure of any part.

The shop owner said I could let them buy the parts at NAPA or I could buy whatever parts I wanted and they would install them for me. His NAPA cost was actually a couple bucks less than I could get them for.

So next week the job will be done and I'll get the old parts back and I'll have a 12 month 12K warranty on the parts and job. I wish that the OEM parts were less expensive but such is life. I'll post again after the job is done and maybe I'll be able to add some photos.

I'm hoping to keep this Pilot for many more years. Of all the cars I've owned over these years, this has to be the one I like the best. And it's made right here in the states..

Keats
Phoenix

Originally Posted by Keats
11 Jan 2020

Can't believe what great timing this post is for me. I just found it and read all the comments and checked out the photos. Great posting to begin with.

I'm at the point where I an planning on replacing the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, tension roller, idle roller, and the power steering serpentine belt.
Supposedly my Tensioner is leaking and needs to be swapped out for a new one. This is from the "Service Writer" at the dealership.

I don't see any leaks and there is nothing on my garage floor to indicate that there is a fluid drip of any kind. The front end of the tensioner is actually covered by the timing belt cover so I don't know how he determined that ??

This picture is from a 2012 Odyssey with 98K. The leaking hydraulic tensioner is visible from outside of the timing belt cover.

CEF54BF1-B3C8-44FA-A56B-3FF7921C3B8E.jpeg

I also bought the TKH002 kit back in 2017 when our Odyssey was at 110,000 miles, now at 140 something and still running great. I have a Honda mechanic buddy who does side work. He acknowledged the Aisin kit parts were pretty much identical to the Honda parts.

At the same time I also did all 6 plugs, thermostat, and accessory belt.

Accessory belt I just went with a cheap Bando and it's holding up just fine. For the plugs I actually opted for Denso Iridiums vs NGK. They were half the price of the laser NGK's and guess what, car runs great with them. For the Thermostat I actually went with the Aisin brand here as well. The downside is that it doesn't come with the gasket, it works great.

Talk about timing. My 06 started leaking antifreeze earlier this week. It's also been making a kind of noise during cold start ups. Did a LOT of research/you tube videos on that particular sound, and had narrowed it down to the timing belt tensioner. I mean, it sounded like it and all the other symptoms were the same....only made that noise when it was below 45 and only until engine warmed up. I THOUGHT I had all the timing belt/accessories replaced by an independent shop two years ago. He said he used parts from NAPA. Well, took it to another shop and saw the tear down last night. Freaking tensioner was leaking and so was the water pump. Turns out, those were factory original. He only replaced the timing belt. Timing belt was great. It had about 70K on it. Really fishes me off. Now dumping another 800 into the 06.....always request to see old parts doing something like this. Anyway, new mechanic got the Aisin kit. Hopefully this should be the last time I do this. The 06 will be the daughters car and shouldn't be averaging 18K miles a year like I do.

Update from the OP.

I'm pleased to announce that I'm at 10k on my AISIN timing belt kit with substituted Gates timing belt and all is well.

Glad people are still finding this thread helpful.

Tomorrow I'm taking in the 06 EX-L for the big valve adjust job. Not something I wanted to tackle myself.

Really happy with it. It's been a great car so far!

Hello all, I thought I would piggyback on this thread. So far there's a lot of good, pertinent info and I'm hoping some of you might have some insights on my project. I'm doing an engine swap on my 2008 Honda Ridgeline. I'm replacing an engine with 179k miles (due to valve damage from a timing belt issue) for one with 50k. Since the new one will be accessible, I figured I would replace all the belts and hoses, including the timing belt. I've been told not to mess with it since it only has 50k miles. But I thought it made sense to do it while it's easier and just start from scratch. Does anybody have an opinion on that? This project will cost a small fortune and I need to save where I can. I found a deal on an OEM TB kit that looks like they are genuine Honda parts. Only problem is, the packaging is generic. I'm curious if it was just repackaged or if there's something I should be worried about. From what I can tell it looks like most of it is legit, but the water pump is stamped 2005. Is that an issue, possibly with the gasket at least? I can't tell how old everything else is. Any input on the markings on the individual parts would be helpful. The hydraulic tensioner is particularly unknown since I can't see any brand stamp. FYI, the pump is wrapped in plastic so it may distort the images a little. Any other input on things I should do or issues to consider, would be appreciated. Thanks
IMG_20200810_213404.jpg
IMG_20200810_204802.jpgIMG_20200810_204715.jpgIMG_20200810_212106.jpgIMG_20200810_212050.jpgIMG_20200810_145519.jpgIMG_20200810_211954.jpgIMG_20200810_144628.jpgIMG_20200810_211708.jpgIMG_20200810_211819.jpg

Back