Valvoline Full Synthetic Maxlife 10W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just perusing some oil specs. Generally(very broadly) within the same oil family, the 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils have fairly similiar specs. I was struck by the difference in the Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic in those two grades, particularly in NOACK. The 5W-30 is 10.2, the 10W-30 is 6.3.

The PQIA had Pennzoil conventional 10W30 at 4.4/4.2% NOACK loss (they retested because they couldn't believe it) in 2015!
There certainly does seem to be a good opportunity to grab a low NOACK oil at a good price in the 10W30 grade, think other posters on here have mentioned that modern SAE30 formulations will often test out to the 10W30 grade or close to it. I am thinking about such oils for summer use in the future...

Last edited:
Few bitogers have said pyb noack in 2015 was temporary. Valvoline qsud and pp 10w30 all have low published noacks.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Few bitogers have said pyb noack in 2015 was temporary. Valvoline qsud and pp 10w30 all have low published noacks.

Do you mean published by the manufacturers?
Pennzoil published NOACKs when Pureplus was new and then quickly pulled them off the web, the latest product info sheets don't show NOACK. I didn't look at 10W30s at the time, do remember that PU and PUP were around the 9-11% range for 5W30.
I don't see anything for QSUD on their website either.
Valvoline is good about sharing info, I find it surprising that the Maxlife 10W30's NOACK (6.3%) is so much lower than that for Synpower (10%).

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Pennzoil published NOACKs when Pureplus was new and then quickly pulled them off the web, the latest product info sheets don't show NOACK. I didn't look at 10W30s at the time, do remember that PU and PUP were around the 9-11% range for 5W30.
Valvoline is good about sharing info, I find it surprising that the Maxlife 10W30's NOACK (6.3%) is so much lower than that for Synpower (10%).

No pennzoil conventional 10w30 in yellow bottle (pyb) was tested by pqia.com at noack of 4.3. Pennzoil does not mention the noack for pyb. Pennzoil only states it for platinum lineup including 10w30 at 4.7.
Few bitogers surmised and i would agree that pyb noack at 4.3 reported by pqia after they tested a bottle was not to be assumes for all time but shell just dumping some excess good stuff in the pyb bottles
smile.gif

Is the Maxlife with 6.3% NOACK MAXLIFE SYNPOWER?

Originally Posted By: car51

Is the Maxlife with 6.3% NOACK MAXLIFE SYNPOWER?

No synpower 10w30 has around 10 percent noack.

Valv full synthetic with maxlife tech 10w30 is 6.3 %
This also is their high mileage oil i think.

I know I'm waking up an old thread but just switched to maxlife 10w 30 full synthetic.
Not sure if the Noack is still much lower than the 5w 30 with today's SN+ blend but did notice its darker than there 5w 30.
Anyone know if there is any current used oil analyst for maxlife full syn 10w 30 anywhere?

That Synthetic MaxLife 10W30 is a good looking oil, I wished we got it here.

That's how I like to see a 10W30 blended, compared to the 5W30, it shows lower Noack volatility a bit thicker viscosity and slightly higher HTHS. It should be more shear resistant too.

A 10Wx oil should be good down to 0F (-20C) which is ample for most over summer.

Shame GM didn't allow 10W30 to be one of their approved Dexos viscosity grades. I'm sure it's only because they didn't want people who lived in cold climates to grab the wrong jug over winter. I wished they trusted us to read the oil grade and not just eyeball their logo.

Originally Posted by SR5

That's how I like to see a 10W30 blended, compared to the 5W30, it shows lower Noack volatility a bit thicker viscosity and slightly higher HTHS. It should be more shear resistant too.

A 10Wx oil should be good down to 0F (-20C) which is ample for most over summer.

Shame GM didn't allow 10W30 to be one of their approved Dexos viscosity grades. I'm sure it's only because they didn't want people who lived in cold climates to grab the wrong jug over winter. I wished they trusted us to read the oil grade and not just eyeball their logo.

+1

hat's how I like to see a 10W30 blended, compared to the 5W30, it shows lower Noack volatility a bit thicker viscosity and slightly higher HTHS. It should be more shear resistant too.

Yes I noticed like with regular Mobil 1 the 5w 30 has a higher viscosity at operating temp than there 10w 30..
I like Valvoline numbers better too

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SteveG4
Originally Posted by SR5

+1

+2

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by SteveG4
Originally Posted by SR5

+1

+2

10w-30 could not meet MPG specs...

+1[/quote]
+2[/quote]
10w-30 could not meet MPG specs...[/quote]

It's my understanding 10w 30 aren't even tested to meet the dexos spec.
I believe there is some 10w 30 is that would meet the spec if tested

Originally Posted by tblt44

I know the dexos1 Gen 2 spec does not cover the 10W30 grade...GM's choice, I guess.
I tried some M1 10W30 HM last summer after I saw it was SN+ and then saw a good NOACK test result from somewhere...had no issues with my car's performance, but this was also the one and only OCI in which I noticed some oil consumption.
It wasn't a lot and it didn't really concern me, but I thought it was odd...no apparent consumption with PP 5W30 or M1 0W30 AFE since then, although I only have maybe 2500 miles on the latter oil at this point.

Nope.

Probably not without some reformulaing, even then I'm not sure a 10w30 could meet D1G2 fuel economy/fuel economy retention requirements even though it may be API RC.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back