Pistol question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Handled an LCP custom the other day and found myself tempted... But I'm not sure I like the mag release. Is there something similar but with a heel release? My Ruger MkII has a heel release and I kinda like it. Out of the way and would never be hit by accident. Lousy in a gunfight I realize but neither gun is really up for that role.

Doing a bit of shopping, I kinda want a mouse gun that would be easier to carry than my LCR. I probably need to get a full size first though--but I've been wanting the LCP II 22lr since I saw the promo for it last month! I'm just coming back around to casual shooting, been out for a while. I can't remember if I liked the mag release on the G19, been too long (rented one like 10 years ago), but for some reason I kinda like it on my MkII for some reason.

Favourite mag release is probably the H&K VP9SK or Walther P22QD. But to carry IWB or Fobus Paddle then its the G42 380ACP.

Last edited by a moderator:
By definition, a carry pistol (like the Ruger LCP) is designed for a gunfight.

How do you intend to use this?

If it's for shooting, you'll find the LCP has some fierce recoil. Get a full size service pistol for the range. The H&K magazine release is impossible to hit accidentally.

I have the LCP. It has a sharp recoil and is a little "snort" of a gun. Not exactly a pleasure to shoot, but fun in it's own way. It's reasonably accurate. Carry it all the time.

I have an LCP. Replaced it with a G42. Cant remember ever having a problem with the LCP with thousands of rounds through it.

Originally Posted by Astro14

Meant as in, not likely to do a mag change. I get your point, though; I'm wrong in describing my thoughts I guess. Or still thinking through my process.

If it's for shooting, you'll find the LCP has some fierce recoil. Get a full size service pistol for the range. The H&K magazine release is impossible to hit accidentally.

Haven't figured out what I want next. Would like something easier to carry than my LCR. But then I realize larger would be easier to use, and around the house that should trump all else. LCR is nice, but 5 rounds is still only 5.

I'm definitely not a recoil fan. I swapped my LCR for the 357LCR as the 38spl version was way too snappy for me. I found that a reasonable setup with standard 38's, with +P's tolerable for carry. Haven't tried much else in a long time though. I never got any good with my SP101's trigger, I know that much; I think that's part of it, I'd like to get something with an easier trigger than that SP101, and more capacity than the LCR.

I'm not a big believer in "shot little but carried much", whatever I get has to be tolerable on the range.

I agree full power loads in my LCR does work the hands over at the range. I load 38 SPL no +p and there is a big difference in recoil.

Originally Posted by FA_WRX
I agree full power loads in my LCR does work the hands over at the range. I load 38 SPL no +p and there is a big difference in recoil.

LCR or 357LCR? Those extra 4(?) oz goes a long ways IMO.

Originally Posted by supton

LCR in 38 +p... I was trying to say I notice a difference if I shoot standard 38 SPL rounds.

Originally Posted by Astro14

Sub compact pistols aren't for sport !!

Hrm. Maybe my memories are more rosey than real. Ran about 15 rounds through my LCR and while I could have run more I clearly had enough. I tried some 125grn +P's and I don't recall disliking them before but the muzzle blast bothered me too much to bother with more. [Edit: did my shooting at about 30' and just kept it inside of a pie plate, not sure I've ever been much better than that.]

I might be more of a rimfire fan, which argues against carry at all.

Last edited:
LCR in 327 Federal has 6 rounds and you can just shoot 32 H&R Mag for much lighter recoil but very good performance if you like that platform.

For a pocket pistol that's MUCH more pleasant to shoot than any of the 380s (or 9s), look for a 32 auto. The Kel-Tec P32 is an excellent choice here. Beretta Tomcat has a wide grip which makes it more comfortable to many hands. Seecamp is a nice pistol, but _very_ small and really only built to shoot 60gr. hollow points. That's a non-issue apart from cost of practice ammo. The super-small size can be a bit challenging for grip, though.

LCR in 38 +p... I was trying to say I notice a difference if I shoot standard 38 SPL rounds.

Not a problem, just trying to make apples to apples. I didn't care much for 38spl in the 38 version, but it's tolerable in the magnum version. As always, our mileage varies, but for anyone surfing on the web doing their own research, it's good to be exact.

Originally Posted by bulwnkl
LCR in 327 Federal has 6 rounds and you can just shoot 32 H&R Mag for much lighter recoil but very good performance if you like that platform.

For a pocket pistol that's MUCH more pleasant to shoot than any of the 380s (or 9s), look for a 32 auto. The Kel-Tec P32 is an excellent choice here. Beretta Tomcat has a wide grip which makes it more comfortable to many hands. Seecamp is a nice pistol, but _very_ small and really only built to shoot 60gr. hollow points. That's a non-issue apart from cost of practice ammo.

Been too long on 327 Magnum; someone at a range that I used to go to got one of the SP101's in that when they first came out. I recall liking it, even with 327 Magnum. I can only imagine what it'd be like when downloaded to 32 H&R Magnum (which is a magnum in only name). Problem is, I much prefer the LCR trigger over the SP101--I'm guessing that is an operator error, but still.

I've thought about a Kel-Tec P32 a few times but just never seriously enough to search one out. I'm not adverse to loading my own ammo to control costs, I did that for a bit on my 38's.

Been too long on 327 Magnum; someone at a range that I used to go to got one of the SP101's in that when they first came out. I recall liking it, even with 327 Magnum. I can only imagine what it'd be like when downloaded to 32 H&R Magnum (which is a magnum in only name). Problem is, I much prefer the LCR trigger over the SP101--I'm guessing that is an operator error, but still.

I've thought about a Kel-Tec P32 a few times but just never seriously enough to search one out. I'm not adverse to loading my own ammo to control costs, I did that for a bit on my 38's.

I've an SP-101 in 327. It's a nice gun. I've considered an LCR in 327 as well, but haven't moved on it thus far. Everyone says the LCR trigger is better than the SP101's, so I think what you've felt is real and not an operator issue. The 327 LCR uses the heavier magnum frame, as I understand it, so 32 H&Rs should be very mild in that gun compared the 38s.

I have a Seecamp and I like it, but I find the ammo restriction irritating. I don't like it all that much as a ‘range gun,' but it's amazingly easy to carry unseen.

I came across 3 used 32s in a shop the other day; one Seecamp, one Beretta, and one older Kel-Tec. Almost picked up the Kel-Tec, but they wanted a bit too much for it.

Edited to add: You're probably aware, but the 327 LCR will also fire 32 S&W Long and 32 S&W, which are super mild to shoot. My SP-101 will not reliably fire 32 auto, but all the LCR owners I've heard from say they _do_ fire reliably in the LCR. This paragraph is only helpful if you want another or a replacement LCR, of course. :)

Last edited:
I really wanted an SP101 in 327Mag when they came out, but I think the round turned into a flash in the pan. For some reason I never picked an LCR up, in 327Mag, cheapskate I guess or maybe that was after I got out of shooting. I think I might hold off now, even if I come across one, just because of finding ammo. I could reload the lighter loadings but still.

I'll just keep my eyes open, keep reading up. Maybe one of the mid size 380's would work for me, like an LC380.

Listen to Al above and myself right here. You want a Glock 42 .380. It's small, light, manageable, accurate, bears quality and easily can be resold.
I sold a flawless LCP that was a bear to hold still and bought the Glock 42, after a policeman at the range let me shoot his backup gun.

Never looked back ......

As a gun carrier, I find the LCP to be an absolute necessity in any gun collection, for folks that carry 365 days a year. Its not my every day carry firearm, but I do carry one probably once or twice a month while wearing a bathing suit and I'm just running to grab some milk or something. It fits, when nothing else will. It allows you to carry A gun, rather than be unarmed.

There are hundreds of different types of guns, and they all have their use. The LCP fits the bill as a deep concealment pistol, and it does it well. Mine has never jammed once. Ever. Its very reliable. My collection will always have one.

Glock 42 .380- Its a lot bigger than an LCP. It also shoots a lot nicer. Yes, its a better gun. But like I said above, the LCP and the G42 kind of serve different purposes. The G42 is not as good of a deep concealment pistol. I've owned hundreds of pistols, and still own dozens, and THIS G42 pistol is my most carried. Its just flat out a good carry gun. Reliable, fast follow up shots, easy to shoot, reasonable ballistics. I'm a BIG fan of the G42 pistol. I think its a better gun than the larger G43 as well...

If you are trying to find a smaller pistol to carry than a LCR, then the LCP is probably a good choice for you.

One other note, the LCR is rather largish, compared to the similar Smith & Wesson 642/442. I've carried the Smith j-frames for years as well, and found them to be much easier to carry and conceal than the Ruger LCR. The Ruger trigger guard is larger, its rubber grip is much larger, and a lot harder to conceal, than the standard j-frame grip. If you like the revolver format, than check out a Smith 642 or 442 or shrouded hammer 638. I think most people find the Smith easier to conceal than the Ruger.

Heel release is very rare these days. Hard to find, and usually only on obsolete and/or ancient firearms.

For a pocket pistol that's MUCH more pleasant to shoot than any of the 380s (or 9s), look for a 32 auto. The Kel-Tec P32 is an excellent choice here. Beretta Tomcat has a wide grip which makes it more comfortable to many hands. Seecamp is a nice pistol, but _very_ small and really only built to shoot 60gr. hollow points. That's a non-issue apart from cost of practice ammo. The super-small size can be a bit challenging for grip, though.

It's an oddball round.. 38,. 380, 9mm provide way more options for defense rounds.

Originally Posted by Toros

It's an oddball round.. 38,. 380, 9mm provide way more options for defense rounds.

Problem is, for 32acp, it lacks enough umph that one needs self defense rounds. Been a while since I read the various ballistics but I believe FMJ is probably the way to go, in a short barrel 32acp. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back