have scam calls stopped on your phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
was getting robo calls multiple times a day for months on my mobile phone i used to get one exactly 8 am .i have noticed i have not gotten any in the last couple of weeks.

So are you getting less scam calls also? i did not change anything on my mobile.

Lol on the contrary I've been getting multiple calls a day from spoofed numbers. They always leave some long message in Chinese.

Not as many. I used to get as many as 8 per day. Now it's 1 or 2 calls per day. Trump passed a new law regarding these calls. My phone used to blow up with calls after open enrollment ended. Hasn't this year. Imo it's the government that sells your number to the scammers, so since this year they changed up the laws? Go figure. No calls.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got one yesterday. Sometimes I get curious and answer them. I always answer them in Spanish,and they immediately hang up. When I answered this one yesterday, it was a recording saying my social security account has been compromised haha,I was like, huh?? I hung up and called the number right back blocking my number. They answered "Sugar Beach Resort",a vacation spot in Hawaii!

Originally Posted by mclasser
Lol on the contrary I've been getting multiple calls a day from spoofed numbers. They always leave some long message in Chinese.

I get those too. When I track the call,they're always coming from Houston.

Always answer the robocalls, but, and this is important, don't say anything and wait until they hang-up. If you say anything or let your phone go to voicemail, the computer on the other end will flag your number as being "valid and occupied", netting you more calls. If you pick the call up and don't say anything, the computer on the other end will eventually flag your number as being invalid and remove it from the call list. I didn't think that I was ever going to get rid of Conner, he was very persistent, but he finally went away. I haven't figured out how to get rid of the robotexts yet, they have become much more prevalent as of late.
If you are on your computer you can start this video, answer your phone, and play this to get rid of them... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BVbyCZXc5s
If you still have a home phone, buy one of these... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U1PPWDO/, it will put a complete stop to ALL annoying/unwanted calls. The important part about this particular call blocker is that it is a whitelist device. Blacklist type call blockers are totally worthless because of the phone number spoofing..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
We still get our shop phone blown up with google from spoofed local numbers. Probably 6 yesterday or so.

I bet you also gotta deal with solicitors stopping by your shop, too.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by mclasser

I get those too. When I track the call,they're always coming from Houston.

Has happened to me once.

Don't believe scam calls will ever be eliminated. Pain the the rear.

For me I get "toll free" callers, "Charity pickup" and "Unknown callers" about six per day on landline.

I had a wave of spammers for a number of weeks. Then it went away. I still use a flip phone.

One technology telemarketers use (or used to use) was waiting until a person says hello a second time. They use a filter device that identifies they have a live person and not a machine. The device then switches the call to a live telemarketer after the second hello. So I say hello only once. 99% of the time a person who calls will start talking.

Also, a pause after I answer the phone and say hello will be a clue of a telemarketer. That pause will cause me to hang up.

Originally Posted by wag123

If you still have a home phone, buy one of these... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U1PPWDO/, it will put a complete stop to ALL annoying/unwanted calls. The important part about this particular call blocker is that it is a whitelist device. Blacklist type call blockers are totally worthless because of the phone number spoofing..

I mentioned in another thread, we have the newer Call Sentry 3.1. It works great, and has a keypad that makes it much easier to enter a whitelist than the earlier device. Also it lets you blacklist by area code so right away you can block 800 type numbers. (It is more expensive than the earlier model though.)

https://www.amazon.com/Sentry-Industries-Inc-CT-CID868-Blocker/dp/B019ERMS90/

We have received zero spam calls since installing this. It does keep a log of the last 50 incoming calls so we can see it's stopping lots of them. For the best effect it needs to be installed between the incoming phone line and the house wiring (in series) - then you hear nothing unless it's a legit caller. Otherwise you'll always hear the first ring when any call comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back